Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So Cujo is back at the vet hospital with what looks like his third bout of HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). He is only 1yr 4 months old and has had it 3 times in the space of a year.

The first time was over Christmas, it was particularly bad and he was kept in the hospital for 4 days on fluids before he had improved enough to come home, it took him about 3/4 weeks to get back to his old self after coming home. It was touch and go and at one point it didn't look like he was going to make it but he pulled through.

The second time was May this year, again he had bloody diarrhoea, vomiting and was extremely lethargic, he dehydrated fairly quickly as he couldn't keep any water down and had to go back to the vets where he stayed for 2 days.

Here we are again :( Wednesday night he had bloody diarrhoea but had eaten his food and seemed okay otherwise. I let him sleep with me so I could keep an eye on him and he seemed okay. Yesterday he deteriorated quite quickly, he wasn't able to keep water down and literally ran away from food. The vets took him in and he has been there overnight on fluids, I'm just waiting for an update from the vet although the nurse I spoke to earlier said he had another episode of bloody diarrhoea in the night and although he is no better, he hasn't gotten worse.

I have tried to research this but the answers are so vague, it seems no one really knows where HGE comes from or what brings it on. I know he hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary because I am so careful with him after last time, I watch him like a hawk to make sure so this has just come on suddenly without cause it seems. My other 3 dogs have never had a problem with this so I really don't know why he keeps getting this...I am now wodnering whether there is something else going on that sparks these episodes but both of the other times all of his test results came back normal (bloods/x-ray/pancreatitis) and I think that today they want to put him under anaesthetic and have another look at everything, something is obviously not right and I can't watch him go through this every few months the poor little mite.

Has anyone else ever seen this? Can a dog just keep getting HGE over and over again like this? I'm so confused and worried I just can't seem to get any answers anywhere :(

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Sorry i can't answer your question,but just to say i hope all goes well at the vets and they can give you answers,keep us updated

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I have no experience of HGE (thankfully) but if I were you I would ask for a referral to a holistic vet, there is one in Bristol and one in Hampshire, so not too far away from you. They might be able to get to the bottom of things for you and poor Cujo. I hope he improves soon, I can only imagine how worried you must be.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both.

I just spoke to the vet and she's not happy with him, he's a little quieter than he was yesterday but the pain meds he is on are also a mild sedative so that could be the reason. He passed some diarrhoea again last night and it was quite bloody but they have kept him starved in case they need to anaesthetise him and also to clear out his bowels.

He seems in quite a bit of pain, his tummy is tense and he shouldn't be feeling much pain/discomfort as he is being given the pain killers so that's the major issue she has with him at the moment. She is going to take some bloods from him today and if he hasn't perked up by early afternoon they will sedate him and give him an ultrasound just in case there is anything going on in his tummy that they need to know of sooner rather than later. Either way, he is definitely not coming home tonight :( poor boy.

She said if he is no better by tomorrow they will keep him until later next week where he will be able to have an endoscopy, I'm just reluctant to have him put under twice in such a short period of time but it is probably best to get to the bottom of this once and for all instead of him having to go through this every few months. She mentioned pancreatitis, although he was tested for this last time and it came back clear but also a bad case of Inflamed Bowel Disease but they have to rule everything else out before they can diagnose the latter.

So horrible knowing he is probably scared in a cage somewhere he doesn't know feeling so poorly and there's nothing I can do for him, I know he is in the best place though, especially as he normally deteriorates very quickly during the night so it is best for him to already be there just in case, and they did such a good job with him over Christmas I was so impressed with them, fingers crossed they can figure out what is happening to him.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dont have much experience in this area but my prayers go out to your baby. I know what its like and waiting for the vets calls seem endless. ♡♡♡

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Here's a very positive article that may give you some ideas of what you could try to help your baby:
Tails of Seattle | Veterinary Q&A: Bloody diarrhea Part 2 -- hemorrhagic gastroenteritis | Seattle Times Newspaper

Not so sure I would let the vet put him under at this stage. Sure does sound like HG from the symptoms. Maybe you could try giving several small raw meals with pure pumpkin & plain yogurt. I know most say to transition slowly when changing food, but this baby needs quick relief.

Not sure if you have had any time to do research, but there's quite a bit of info that may help you:
Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs | petMD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much everyone <3

I have been researching HGE ever since his first ever bout over Christmas, I have read everything and anything (thank you for the articles, I will get into those in a second to see if there is anything else I have missed) - there are just some things that don't seem to add up..

I have a couple of friends who are now vet nurses in 2 different counties and I spoke to them yesterday, they both said that there has been a definite increase in dogs being brought in with HGE, particularly over the Christmas period where I remember one particular clinic has seen about 6 dogs in the space of a week all with the same symptoms. One thing I don't understand is that it is apparently common for dogs from the same household to come down with it at the same time, but it isn't contagious, so I'm looking at environmental factors at the moment, I have been monitoring everything he eats and what he does when he goes outside but nothing...

One thing that did come to me earlier, I have just called the vet and told her even though I really don't know if there is a link at all, the 3 times he has had this one of my 2 females have been in season. Beau came into season around Christmas and May, the 2 other times he had it and my Vega just came into season last week - he has been castrated so he doesn't bother them at all but I wonder if something is happening there, whether perhaps he becomes stressed (although he doesn't look it, nor does he act stressed) and it flares up again...it's very strange but still a coincidence that I thought was worth mentioning.

He's not the sturdiest of dogs, he's quite clumsy and prone to injuring himself but also he suffers from chronic inverted sneezing (mainly in Spring when there is pollen around), almost like mild asthma attacks and his breathing in general isn't too great and now it seems that his digestive system is also not that efficient.

I am just hoping that they will be able to find the root cause so I can get a plan of action together for the rest of his life as I have a feeling this is just a condition that he has and will have to be managed rather than cured. I have 4 dogs and they are all on Arden Grange dry food (mainly because my Indie suffers from several allergies!) which they all seem to get on great with but perhaps even that has become too much for his stomach. He will not touch rice and in terms of 'bland diet' he will only have chicken breast if it is still hot from the oven, even then he sometimes refuses it - strange little thing. He prefers to just eat his biscuits so it is difficult to get him to eat anything when he's poorly. Hopefully I will get a call back from the vet later on this afternoon and will have a clearer picture of what the plan of action will be...fingers crossed

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
From what I read, it seems like it's linked to either something they're all eating (the same food) or getting into the trash. None of the articles I read did NOT say it wasn't contagious, but they didn't say it was either. I wouldn't be too sure that it's not contagious. There doesn't seem to be enough knowledge in this area to know. Ask your friends what type of food those dogs were eating, about their life styles. Sounds like there might be similarity with all the HGE dogs. Maybe you can pinpoint what that is. I honestly don't think this is environmental.
Are you feeding the Arden Grange Sensitive? It has potato in it. If you don't want to go raw, you might want to consider a limited ingredient food.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Even tho he feels sick & doesn't want to eat because he's sick, dogs know what foods make them sick and will avoid that food as much as they can until they get hungry. I would go with a meat that he doesn't usually eat like venison and use pumpkin and plain yogurt to coat his irritated stomach. How old is he?

Sounds like he has severe allergies from what you describe with the sneezing. This makes diagnosis much more difficult with any kind of illnesses because the allergies will make things appear worse than they are sometimes. Stella & Chewies makes a dehydrated Rabbit. I know you have 4 dogs to feed and this food is pricey, but you may want to consider it for the 2 that are suffering. It will be cheaper in the end compared to running them back and forth to the vet. My chi has done fantastic on it and she begs for it. She also has severe allergies. She can't tolerate lamb tho.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
We don't have Stella and Chewy's in the UK, Lisa.
We do have a few good premade raw foods, the one I would recommend is Nutriment.
Their website is nutriment.co
I still think an appointment with a holistic vet would be a good idea, diet would be one of the things they would look at.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I have no experience with HGE, but I just wanted to offer my healing thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I read, it seems like it's linked to either something they're all eating (the same food) or getting into the trash. None of the articles I read did NOT say it wasn't contagious, but they didn't say it was either. I wouldn't be too sure that it's not contagious. There doesn't seem to be enough knowledge in this area to know. Ask your friends what type of food those dogs were eating, about their life styles. Sounds like there might be similarity with all the HGE dogs. Maybe you can pinpoint what that is. I honestly don't think this is environmental.
Are you feeding the Arden Grange Sensitive? It has potato in it. If you don't want to go raw, you might want to consider a limited ingredient food.
Thank you for this, they definitely do not get into the trash, I am 100% sure of this because our trash goes into a plastic bin outside that they cannot get into (because of foxes in the area mainly). The only food they have is their dry Arden Grange, they used to be on sensitivity but that didn't agree with Indie (probbaly because of the potato) and gave him itchy skin so I switched them to the Salmon which has been okay, Cujo has always had the inverted sneezing issue since I've had him but it seems to be getting better as he gets older, we've gone from having 4-5 episodes a week to maybe one, mainly happens when there is pollen around or when he gets over-excited. I have been looking at alternatives for food as they were all on Nature's Harvest wet food when they were young and that was brilliant, but would like to keep them on dry over wet/raw if possible. I hear a lot of good things about Taste of the Wild which I'm seriously thinking of giving a try as their Arden is running low.

I'm just confused by the whole HGE thing, it seems like an issue that's surfaced on a wider scale more recently in the last couple of years rather than something that's always been around and common, if that's even what Cujo is suffering from, it could be something that is physically wrong with him that hasn't been picked up through testing yet. The vet very rarely mentions 'HGE', they just came to that conclusion last time because the tests all came back negative but she seems to think it's something else, hence the extensive testing this time round...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even tho he feels sick & doesn't want to eat because he's sick, dogs know what foods make them sick and will avoid that food as much as they can until they get hungry. I would go with a meat that he doesn't usually eat like venison and use pumpkin and plain yogurt to coat his irritated stomach. How old is he?

Sounds like he has severe allergies from what you describe with the sneezing. This makes diagnosis much more difficult with any kind of illnesses because the allergies will make things appear worse than they are sometimes. Stella & Chewies makes a dehydrated Rabbit. I know you have 4 dogs to feed and this food is pricey, but you may want to consider it for the 2 that are suffering. It will be cheaper in the end compared to running them back and forth to the vet. My chi has done fantastic on it and she begs for it. She also has severe allergies. She can't tolerate lamb tho.
He was 1 in March of this year, so still a young boy and should be 'in his prime'. Sorry, I'm going to sound stupid, I've never heard of using pumpkin and plain yoghurt - what do you do with it? as in, what quantities and in whatb ratios? It sounds like a good idea. As for meat, the vets always say 'chicken' but I have tried beef and he wasn't interested in that either. As I am always advised to feed white meat for the 'blandness' of it, I'm always quite cautious of going for red meat, perhaps I will try him on venison to see if he goes for it when he's a little better - he has only become a fussy eater since his first bout of this condition at Christmas, he would eat anything and everything before and now he's very cautious of anything that isn't his normal dry food, he tends to refuse most things whilst the others would kill for a piece of chicken.

Indie suffers from skin allergies and used to suffer from inverted sneezing quite severely when I first got him but both have almost completely disappeared since swapping his food to Arden Grange and again, the sneezing sometimes makes an appearance when he gets over-excited but never at any other time. Cujo seems to be much more fragile so I am very paranoid about changing anything in his diet but maybe that's exactly what he needs, I'm going to reasearch the dry foods again tonight to see what comes out on top, I'm really not fussed about the cost if I have to be honest, if there is something out there that will agree with them all it would quite literally be the best discovery for me, I can't have him go through this so many times it's heart breaking and I don't want these episodes to cause any lasting damage to his body.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Have you looked at raw feeding? It is ideal for dogs with sensitivities and allergies as you know exactly what you are putting into your dogs and not relying on a food company.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts