Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so excited to be the proud new mama of my baby girl! she is a beautiful 3 year old long haired chihuahua. She is spaid, and wonderfully outgoing and social :)

The woman who gave her to me brought her vet records with her and I saw when I was reading through them that Chloe has some past issues with constipation. she has even been given an enema twice!

She came with a bag of Iams proactive health mini chunks which she shows NO interest in, and actually went over 24 hours with eating nothing. It may be stress, but her vet record shows a history of a lack of appetite.

I was going to wait to change her feed but with her eating nothing I bought some Nutro Holistic Superfood for small breeds. I also bought her some Nutro small breed adult pate'. She turned her nose up at the dry kibbles, but chowed down the tablespoon or so I gave her of the pate'. Maybe she has a dental issue that makes eating dry food painful?

She did do a poops when she went out earlier today, but honestly, it was a hard little rock.

I am wondering if anyone else has had experience with this problem before? And what kind of advice you can give me.

Miss Chloe has an appointment at the vets on Weds afternoon, and obviously this will be discussed. Just looking to get insight from other chihuahua owners before I go so I will maybe have a better idea of what to ask the vet, and what to expect to get from the visit, suggestion wise.

Thanks for reading this, and for your replies :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i have no answer just wanted to say im here reading your question and hopeing little chole gets her constpation and eating down pat soon send us pics please

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
i just put my Amberleah on Wellness puppy and her poo is wonderfully wet and looks great. The Nurto her poop was hard and dry. I do wet it down for her so she gets extra moisture. So the Nurto I am giving away to shelter. I had coupons and only paid 1.25 but I had 4 bags. Plus I looked up Nutro it has bad rating and they didn't recommended it.
The wellness was 7 stars, Nutro was 3 stars I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Sheila for the welcome :)
Theresa, thank you for your advice! she didn't like the nutro plain, but I added a little water and let it soak for a few minutes, then added a teaspoon or so of the pate' style, and made a doggie stew basically. She seems to be eating it now? We will see if she finishes it.
I am going to try speading her food out in 3 feedings, I don't want her eating a whole bunch at once if her insides move slowly.
Hopefully this will work better!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and Chloe.. I hope the vet visit gives you some helpful information about her issues..

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! :)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome. Poor little Chloe. Please keep us posted on what the vet has to say. I am sure if you got her on a better food it would help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, thanks for the welcome :)
Miss Chloe went to the vets today. She got a clean bill of health :)
The vet said with Chloes history of constipation she recomends we feed her a wet food. She said the Nutra Pate' is a good choice, and since miss priss can be so picky, she would definately stick with it. She said not eating enough will likely cause even more issues with constipation.
She also said we should be prepared to brush Chloes teeth daily though in the absence of dry food.
Everyone at the vets office properly adored her lol. AND, Miss chloes was SO well behaved!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Welcome to the board. Glad your sweet baby got a good clean bill of health. If she does have constipation problems you can give her some pumpkin. My pups love pumpkin and it has such a high fiber content it will help her to poo. (about a tablespoon) Be sure it's pure pumpkin and not pie filling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts