Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My husband and I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while now, both of us had big family dogs growing up but this will be our first as adults. Originally we had ruled out a chi because of their bad rep (obviously complete lack of knowledge on our part), that is until we met a friend's chi (Shylo) and fell completely in love. As soon as we left Shylo we started to research and the more we found out about the breed, the more it sounded like a perfect match for us and our lifestyle.
But before we make the final decision, I was hoping some chi owners could give us a better understanding if what we'd be in for :)

So, my questions are... At the moment my flexible work hours mean I could spend up to 3-4 months training and socializing our chi, however, after that my hours will be more fixed and my husband works full time. Are Chis too prone to separation anxiety that up to 4 hours alone would be a problem?

Also, I've heard that some chi owners initially have training issues because they approach training their Chis the same as they would other breeds...what would you say differentiates Chis to other breeds in that case and is it a suitable breed for first time dog owners? We don't want to get a chi and then realize that we're completely unprepared for it's characteristics and needs.

Gosh that's a long post! Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Welcome to CP,4 hours would be fine.Get her used to being on her own sometimes with plenty of toys to play with,a good walk and excersise .My two have never had a problem ,they go in their beds till we get home.

Good luck with getting your chi,I don't think you'll regret it at all.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Hi and welcome!!! I think having 3-4 months to train and socialize your chi will be fantastic. I personally think you will never regret your breed choice. They are very loyal and attach to their owner, but also show such big personalities for such small creatures. Most people on this forum love them so much that they have more than one and several have 3 and 4 even with their own active lives. That is how easy it is to have well-socialized chis. They are a perfect breed as the care for them is easier compared to other breeds. To be very honest with you though, mine is 6 years old, and it is hard for me to really remember training and my lifestyle is not one that she is very socialized to strangers. We are just never around them(with Lulu that is). She does fine on walks around the neighborhood, but I don't take her to stores and everywhere I go as others on the forum do.

Hope this helps!! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
With training a Chi, I think many people run into problems because they don't train them like they would a larger dog. It's important to remember that even though they are tiny, they are still dogs. They can learn anything a big dog can. They also benefit from having structure, just the same as a big dog does.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I agree with everyone. Chihuahuas are a really unique breed that in my opinion have completely defied their bad reputation. I am one of the members of this forum with 4 chi's😊but I had 2 for the longest time, I have 3 longcoat girls and a shortcoat boy with the oldest being 3.5 and youngest 6.5 months. In the beginning when I got my first chi I had done some research and also had a friend who taught me so much about the breed. Now fast forward to my last chi, I have gained tons more knowledge on the breed, as well as learned even more from the members of this forum. My advice would be to keep asking questions here, do your research and find a reputable breeder. Goodluck on your search, we hope to see pics of your soon to be pup in no time 😊

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi and welcome, I'll make this simple for you, GO FOR IT !!!!! Chihuahuas are the best, clever, bright, loyal and in my opinion very easy to train. They are so easy to look after, mine love long walks but are just as happy snuggled on the couch if the weather is miserable. They don't eat much, their poops are small, I don't think they are yappy as some people may believe. Find yourself a reputable breeder if you are getting a puppy or alternatively there are a lot of Chi's in rescue waiting for homes. Good luck in your search, it's very exciting looking for a dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes and comments, very helpful :) I think we've definitely found the right breed. I'm so glad to hear that time alone won't be an issue as that was my main concern. And as for the training, I'll no doubt be back with questions and pics soon :toothy8: It's great that theres such a supportive online community, and all of your dogs are so cute!!!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I have had all sorts of dogs before (Terriers, Spaniels, Collies, Mongrels, Sight hounds) and have worked with mostly gun dogs and large working breeds. I never thought the breed I would end up with would be Chihuahuas, but I now have five!
They are great dogs, they can do everything a bigger dog can do but you can also pick them up. I would say they are clever, happy, affectionate dogs who really enjoy being around their people. They have low grooming and exercise requirements and are really cheap to feed. Don't be fooled by the 'handbag dog' label, they can walk for miles and are far from being couch potatoes.
Plus they are super cute and love all the affection and attention we can't help but lavish upon them :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts