Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

My wife and I are heartbroken over the loss of our Chihuahua on Monday. I think the best way to help to heal the pain is to get another Chi. She surprised me this morning by agreeing to start looking. My wife had the strongest bond to our male short hair (Tiko). I want the next dog (a big chi or chi/mix)to also gravitate towards my wife. Can I increase the odds of that happening by getting a male dog, or doesn't it matter? Tiko would always jump up on the bed when I got in and get between me and my wife. If I touched her, he would lick my hand until I pulled away. Thanks very much in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a male sheltie and 2 female chis ,i would say my sheltie is all MINE ,the 2 female chis are both of ours,my last chi a male was all mine so out of adverages i would say a male

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Holly is my first chi, so my experience is limited. But she is like Michele's female chi's. She belongs to both my husband and I, or rather both of us belong to her. Her only preference seems to be at night. She almost always sleeps next to me. The only time she doesn't is when I'm not there.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Sorry about Tiko :(

Like hollysmom, Odie is our first chihuahua. She's female, and she definitely hasn't "bonded" to just me. She gets around... haha. She loves to cuddle, and sleeps with me, but she also loves everyone else. I try not to get offended, as I have a really well balanced little dog!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hope you are all doing alright without your little one, I think a new baby would be good if you miss the companionship.

What's funny is that my dad had gotten a lab to be his guard dog, while my brother brought home a pug and it became attached to my mom so the pug became her lap dog. Maybe you and your wife might even want two! Who knows, but either way I'm sure if any dog you find, chi or mix or not your wife may find love in the personality rather than the breed.

I wish you both all the luck in your search

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I also think it varies and I, too, am VERY sorry for your loss.
Our boy definitely preferred my husband but he had him before me so that makes sense.

After he passed, we got Hope immediately. I wanted to be certain that I was not just "replacing" him. As a result, since **** was a boy, I wanted female but colored differently from him.

Hope is her own woman. She loves us equally and is the most independent of the trio.
Ruby is addicted to my husband. She loves me, too, but not in the same way. Eden is my shadow and is wherever I am. I went to get her without hubby so I do not know if she attached to me as a result.

Best to you as you get a new little one to love. A friend told me (when I asked if we were moving too soon after ****'s loss to get Hope) that the best tribute we can offer a beloved pet that has passed is to give that same love to another little soul.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I don't think gender matters...It's that heart connection between the person and the dog.

I have 3 - one male Chi, one male half Chi / half Cairn terrier, and a female Chi. If I'm sitting, all of them are touching me at once. If I am trying to do something that doesn't need a paw on a keyboard or something like that, I can gently push them away, and they will go lay on my husband.

If they could talk, they'd tell you that I am their favorite. But, they still love my husband dearly. (Right now, they're all lined up on the back of the couch watching for my husband to come home - they'll greet him at the door, but it won't be with the intensity that they greet me.)

Pedro was our first, and for 6 months, my husband couldn't touch him - he was an abused rescue, and hated men and children. Pedro was scheduled to be put down in 2 days before I found him - he had been deemed unadoptable due to his severe aggression. We made an instant connection at the shelter, and we never looked back, once I convinced the manager to let me have him.

So, we got Gracie, with the intention of her being 'his' dog. I tried really hard to be as hands off as possible (with a 5 month pup) and 'push' her to be his dog. Of the 3, she comes closest to feeling the same about us both, but it's still me she wants to be close to 99% of the time.

Diesel was an 'accident' - I saw him and couldn't come home without him. He's still young at 6 months, but he is most definitely a 'momma's boy'.

I just think some people tend to pull dogs and other animals towards them on a different level than others. It's a force to be reckoned with...

Goodness knows, sometimes I wish I could sit down without a tiny Chi perched on one shoulder, another in my lap, and the other lying on the back of the couch with his head on my other shoulder, licking my face...But, unless I send them away, that's where you'll find them!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
So sad for you and your wife. Hope you find the perfect little furry companion to help you heal.

Lots of people say neuterd males make the best companions and from my experience I would agree. I have a boy, Axle and a girl, Chloe. Our little girl is very affectionate and loving to both my husband and I. My little boy obviously still loves my husband but as soon as I walk in the room its as if my hubby isn't even there. Axle is my shadow, has to be near me, preferably near enough to lick me, if he can't be touching me he stares at me until i notice him and talk to him. Some people would find it a bit too clingy but i don't mind, I love that i'm his whole world.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I believe that dogs, just like people, have their own
personalities and with that comes those feelings
for who they like and who they love.

I had my previous Chi, Gracie, for 15 yrs. She was
my baby, she was shy around strangers but she loved
on everyone in our family.

Mimi on the other hand only loves me. She follows me
from room to room and wants to be able to see me at
all times. If I am in the bathroom she will sit right outside
the door, and if I take too long in there she will slip her paw
under the door just to remind me she's waiting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your condolences. I just joined but can see there are lots of nice folks here. If anyone else would like to weigh in on whether a male chihuahua may have a natural predisposition to bond with a human female in a male/female household, I'm all ears.
P.S. Holly sure looks very much like my poor Tiko. Please give her a big hug for me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So sorry for y'alls loss...Since we've only had females...I can say they pick their own "person" three are my husband's and three are mine...with the smooth coat changing sides midway in her lifetime(she's 15) although they'll all sit on me until hubby sits down...LOL

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
As all Chi lovers on this forum are, I am so very sorry for your loss. My husband and I have only had Lulu, our female chi, who is 4 yrs old since she was 9 weeks. She loves us both but favors me. She wants us both at different times and for different reasons, but I have to say if I am sitting down--she is in my lap. She follows me around, and lays between us in bed. Hope that helps. Let me say though, my parents lost their Maltese a few months ago and at first thought they did not want another one. They quickly found that it is very lonely. You cannot replace them because their new little Maltese does not have the same personality as their Lacy, but can give your love to a new wonderful addition to your family.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A friend told me (when I asked if we were moving too soon after ****'s loss to get Hope) that the best tribute we can offer a beloved pet that has passed is to give that same love to another little soul.
THAT is so true! :love7: We foster the old and abused cats for our local small charity and always take the ones who nobopdy else wants. And even if they are only with us in our 'Retirement Home For Cats' for a few weeks or months they are smothered in love and care and leave for Rainbow Bridge with that. Folk often say they couldn't do what we do as losing the animals would be too upsetting but both Neil and myself feel it's a privilage and an honour to meet and care for our oldies and make their last days/weeks/months as wondferful as possible. :love7: And yes, we BOTH cry buckets when one leaves us but as I always say to Linda who runs the charity, that creates a vacancy in our home for some other needy wee soul :)
Perhaps once we move to somewhere with a garden it might just be the old chis that I foster along with the cats :love7:

SO sorry to hear about your loss (((HUGS))) But yes, get out there and get yourself another chi to love :love7: I wouldn't worry too much about trying to find one who bonds more with your wife.....I'm sure whoever is sent your way will love you both equally :love7:

Just make sure your camera is fully charged as once your new baby comes home we NEED lots of piccies ;) :D

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't believe gender matters. I believe the attachment is formed from a motherly-nurturing aspect toward the chi. If your wife is the nurturer that does the feeding, bathing, etc., then I strongly believe any chi will gravitate toward her about 90% of the time.
On a personal note, if you don't mind my asking, why would you want the chi to gravitate toward her instead of you or be equal toward both. Very interesting question.
BTW, I am really sorry for your loss & I do think that a new chi can help take some of the hurt away by helping you remember the great times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts