Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm Patti from Canada! I just adopted Fifi this past Sunday, Nov 14 (or she adopted me). The story of how we ended up together is a bit strange, so here goes.

I've wanted a Chi for a long time, but I already have a houseful of adopted pets (3 cats from shelters and a retired racing Greyhound). I was feeling depressed one day and looking at online "dogs and puppies for sale" ads - not looking to buy a dog, just wanted to cheer myself up, like "window shopping", when I saw an ad from a woman selling a cute little 2 year old blue merle female Chi. I had never seen one of this colour before, so I emailed her to ask where she got the dog and made it clear that I wasn't interested in buying, just curious to know about her dog.

We ended up exchanging a few emails; she told me she already had a buyer for her dog, and I told her I already have a Greyhound anyway. I asked her why she was selling her dog (housebreaking issues which she didn't have time to deal with because she had small children to look after) and we chatted about Greyhounds, pets etc. and that was that. But I was really taken with this little Chi girl and I showed my boyfriend her pic "isn't she adorable?" :D

Then about a week ago, the "chihuahua lady" emailed me again: the buyer had changed their mind at the last minute, she'd received inquiries from others but none of them were suitable to give her dog a good home, I was the only one who had given her a good feeling, would I consider taking her dog? I didn't think I could afford what she'd be asking for her dog but I asked my boyfriend anyway before replying to her message, and sure enough, "NO WAY, we don't have enough room for another animal and anyway, you could never afford her" was the reply.

But the next morning, I opened my email to reply to the chihuahua lady and found she'd sent me another message "by the way, I'd be willing to GIVE you my dog and her crate etc, as long as you can promise you will give her a good home, I just want to make sure she gets a good home."

I asked her a lot of questions about Fifi's health, was she spayed (yes), how is she around people (just woofs a bit at first, doesn't bite), other animals (fine), etc. before agreeing to meet them and adopt her. She seems to be settling in fine, though of course the former owner didn't tell us the full extent of her housebreaking problems. "She only pees in her crate when she gets too excited" really means "she needs to be taken out every three or four hours otherwise she will pee and poo in the house".

But, now that we know this, we don't mind. I am off work on medical leave for now, and my boyfriend is semi-retired, he works part-time, and we don't mind cleaning up the occasional little mess. We're used to cleaning up the occasional BIG Greyhound mess. :rolleyes:

Fifi is very sweet and has really gravitated towards me - in fact she is snuggled up on my lap as I'm writing this! I think she suffered a bit of abuse or at least bad temper from her former owners - she cringes if she has an accident even though we don't scold her, and won't come out of her crate on her own (cringes again) and has to be lifted out. We crate her at night. She backs away from my boyfriend if he reaches out towards her, and growls and barks when he comes home, but rushes to me when I come home if I go out. She warms up to him quickly once she realizes he won't hurt her, and he frequently offers her treats. We have already begun obedience training. It took her about half an hour to learn "sit" - a few shreds of grated mozzarella work wonders! :hello1:

ps - sorry about the novel - I do like writing stories!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww she's just precious. Welcome to Chi PPl. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts