Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I'm from Covington Kentucky and the very proud partner of a wonderful little long-haired Chihuahua.
I'm disabled and in a wheelchair full-time. Chico is my medical service dog ... telling me when I am about to pass out as well as alerting to low/high blood sugar or blood pressure. Other than being a bit timid, I could not ask for a better companion. He is a talker (not barker) and even says Mom! He is a blond/white and a little over a year old.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hello and welcome! Audrey (my chi) is my trained psychiatric service dog! I am Bi polar and have agorphobia. Aren't chis wondeful sevice dogs? :) Its nice to hear there is another one on here.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Welcome to the group!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks everyone! I'm not much of a poster so you won't hear a lot from me unless needed. But it is so nice to find a place which understands the needs of my little guy!
Congrats Audrey's Mom on having such a wonderful right arm! They are indeed even MORE special and close to us when they are both our companion AND our health caregiver!
My first service dog was a Mal-shih ... I had her for 12 years before cancer took her. I have now been trained and certified to certify Medical Service Dogs. I still miss Mini ... they are with me 24/7 only being apart if I am hospitalized since I won't ask already overworked nurses to change puppy-pads.
And Audrey's Mom ... I have trained 2 psychiatric service dogs! A Chollie and a Choxie. The Chollie is the largest I have worked with - she is almost 15 pounds. (You can see I am fond of Chi and Chi-mix breeds) Most of the dogs I have worked with are rescues ... only 2 came from breeders and one of those is my Chico. When I needed a new dog to be trained before I lost the one I had, there were absolutely no tiny dogs available in rescues close by. But the breeder I worked with was so wonderful ... she even came down on his price for me since I would be training him and delivered him to my house as well! And since he was 8 weeks old he has never been separated from me for more than a few minutes for minor surgery or xrays.

I will include pictures of my boy as soon as I figure out how! LOL

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! I cant wait to see pics! :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi and welcome, Nana Music. That's awesome that you certify service dogs. What a skill!
I'm originally from Kentucky. Lived in Covington as a child. Moved from Dayton at 16 y.o. My family still lives in northern Kentucky.
Again, welcome!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry to here you lost your baby to cancer. I had a Shar-pei service dog before little Audey. I still have my shar-pei (Avery) she is retired now. I too have trained them both myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts