Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will keep it short and sweet....I'm Amber, my Chi is Phoenix, and we're having behviour, obedience, and potty training issues...she persistantly jumps up n does what i call a "dork dance" when i try and put her into a verbal sit....she gives no warning when she has to go potty she just...goes...even if she was just out 10 seconds ago. and when she's on mine or the bf's lap and the 2 other dogs walk by she will snap at them or go into "jerk mode"..

i'm 5 months pregnant...and granted she came into this world and was mine i had to give her up for almost a year...she's now about a year and maybe 2 or 3 months old..and if her issues can't be fixed promptly i'm afraid i'll have to let her go again, because i can't be chasing after her when she potties in the house..and attempting to change a diaper at the same time..that...is my dilemma. also..i was informed by the last person who had her (who is a friend of mine) she is indeed potty trained...and she doesn't go ALL the time in the house...but when let out side she just stands and stares at you shivering...*which is cute yet annoying b/c i know she's gotta go potty but just wont*...and i have a very very short fuse...so if she doesn't go potty..she goes right back in the kennel for 15 mins...and if no potty again..back in for 30 mins...*is just rambeling now out of frustration.*

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
How long have you had her back ? she may be confused being at another home then back again,putting her in a kennel is not the answer that is punishment,she needs TLC she will pick up on your short fuse and that will make her worse,treat her as a puppy again and reward her when she is good

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've had her back a month..and babying her just makes it worse i've discovered...and treats...impossible....as soon as she senses a treat she starts the dancing and jumping. which is an annoying habbit on its own...i know 1 thing i've learned from this whole experience..if u let a dog go..leave it go..i was so happy to get her back which soon turned to frustration...with pottying every where..considering she's out every hour or 2 even in he middle of the night ill take the blanket out n huddle up on the porch waiting for her to do some thing...but every time...she just, tries to curl up with me and go to sleep *granted she has her fleece coat on and its plenty warm and her little snow boots on, but she waits until we get in the house to go...first thing in the morning she's ok...but after that...its down hill..so punishment is the only thing i can think of doing ....being so preg is not helping either...having to run around after her cleaning...wears me out and my sanity isn't at its best either lol...even tried the bell by the door....ring the bell if u have to go out trick...she did it once...it took 3 hours of sitting and scheming to get her to do it once...but as soon as the treat came out she went potty right there...and puppy pads...are a no go...our 2 beagles eat them...well...destroy and annihilate i should say..running out of options since its mostly the to be "nursery" carpet she's ruining by pottying on ...that we just replaced 6 months ago...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Well I truly think she is confused since she's been bounced around a bit to different houses. My Shayley was a bit confused when we moved into our new house 2 years ago, she's potty trained but she was "lost" and not use to the new house. (I had her since a puppy and she was/is fully potty trained). As for your little cutie I would start potty training her again as if she is a puppy. If she is truly potty trained just letting her know where to go will help her out a lot. Ask her if she has to go potty and walk her outside, my best advice would be to actually go out there with her because then if you see her GO you can praise her with love and treats (do the happy wiggle stupid dance! lol) She will start feeling the positive energy and want to do it more. Of course it won't happen over night but at least you can get it going on the right path. :hello1:

I think the crating her after "not" going potty outside isn't the best thing as she probably doesn't understand WHY that is happening. Training her for 3 hours is a long time and most likely she's going to give up (not saying you didn't do a break in between because of course 3 hours of cramming is no fun). She won't learn in one day. You'll have to work with her and the short fuse won't help any. You said babying here doesn't work but praising should! :) I know it is frustrating and you must really love her to have wanted her back but I truly think she's just confused a bit. I think with a little work and love she'll be ok!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts