Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all :D my name is erica and i am a first time dog owner. My puppy- pebbles is currently only about 6 weeks old and would be with the breeder till she is 8 weeks and ready after taking the shots required. Im really glad to have found this forum which has so much useful information!

Some pictures (sorry if they are huge!) and questions i have:

at 4 weeks old

at 5 weeks+ old when i visited her last weekend

when i first picked her, she was about 3 weeks old. i was told that she would be a long coat chihuahua. however, when i visited her last weekend, the breeder told me that she would be a short coat instead (the parents - one long and one short coat) as her sister from the same litter is having a much longer coat. i would love her both ways but the breeder is confusing me. would it be accurate to say that she is a short coat at this time? what do u guys think?

also, i noticed that she is having tear stains now that were not present when she was 4 weeks. i was worried but breeder said it would go away after awhile. is that true and is it normal for puppies to have tear stains?

thank you all!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Welcome! She is beautiful. How much does she weigh?

She looks like she may be a long coat to me. With LCs it is hard to tell what their final coat will look like until approximately two years of age. Some are fluffy and others just have long, smooth coats. So I believe it is a wait and see game with that.

Regarding tear stains, do you know what the breeder is feeding her? Tear stains can often be traced to a less than ideal diet. I would put her on a high quality kibble, pre-made raw, or even Prey Model Raw if you can commit to it. Hopefully that will eliminate any potential tear stains. And she may grow out of them. If not, you can try adding a splash of apple cider vinegar to her water. It seems to work against tear stains. If they get really bad, there is a product called Angel Eyes that works well. I don't know if it is available in Singapore, though. It is a last resort and should not be used permanently because it has antibiotics in it.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Adorable little girl! She looks like a longcoat to me. May not be a really longcoat, but she is not looking like a smootcoat; at least to me.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Welcome to CP! What a little sweetheart. She is definitely a longcoat. Smoothcoats aren't fluffy as puppies or ever. Their fur is very flat to their bodies. It takes about two years and sometimes even as long as three years for a longcoats to fully develop their coats.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Did you see the parents of your puppy? Does this person breed a lot of dogs? In the first picture, it looks like there is a dirty cage in the background? Have you seen where her puppies and dogs are kept?

Those tear stains are concerning. It looks like they are severe enough to completely go across the muzzle. I would be a little worried about that too. It could be diet.... what is she feeding?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Did you see the parents of your puppy? Does this person breed a lot of dogs? In the first picture, it looks like there is a dirty cage in the background? Have you seen where her puppies and dogs are kept?

Those tear stains are concerning. It looks like they are severe enough to completely go across the muzzle. I would be a little worried about that too. It could be diet.... what is she feeding?
I was thinking the fact that the breeder can't determine whether their puppy is a LC or SC by 6 weeks is kind of not a good sign, too.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I also agree. That puppy is clearly a long coat, and it is concerning that the breeder doesn't know that. I would make sure that this puppy is coming from a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill or backyard breeder. It's sad how many are out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight everyone :) He actually meant long, smooth coat (what he said was that the puppy would be short coat but not like the usual short coat that we see) but i just didnt know how to describe it at first. to me, it was either long fluffy coat or short coat.

I have seen the parents, the dad is a cute short coat & the mum is a very beautiful 3 years old long coat that looks like a pom and this is her first batch of litter. i got to admit i was mesmerised by her. The breeder breeds yorkshire and chh occasionally but most of the dogs in his compound are on boarding so it is like a dog hotel, the cages in the pictures are actually very old. whenever i drop by, he is in the midst of cleaning them so no worries!

as for the issue with the tears, i would be checking with him again. my friend's spitz puppy had the same issue and it went away after awhile. will update with more info.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hi Erica and welcome.

Umm I'm struggling to imagine any puppy mills/farms in Singapore lmao. It is so very different to anywhere else in the world - over there dogs in highrise apartment buildings are taught to use the owner's toilet and race horses are kept in highrise buildings, brought down in the lifts and taken to the track to train.

Your puppy is beautiful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts