Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone 😊 I am looking for some advice about whether to adopt a chihuahua and I thought who better to ask then the people who know them best! We live in Wales in a little rural village. We have been searching for a small breed rescue pup for a while now and we were contacted by a rescue centre to say they had a little 9 week old pup in need of a home. We were obviously very excited! We already have 2 dogs a huskamute and a huntaway x kelpie. Our walks consist of a lot of mountains. We found out a bit more about the pup and they think it is 3/4 chihuahua and 1/4 Jack Russell. My daughter was hoping to take the pup to agility classes. I’m afraid we have never considered getting a chihuahua we didn’t think it would be robust enough for us. And they do have quite a negative reputation as yappy, aggressive and like to be carried around (not meaning to offend). But my daughter (and me) have fallen in love with him so I’ve started to do some research. We really don’t want to adopt him if he won’t be happy with us that would be awful for him and he’s been through so much already. My questions are do Chihuahuas like to walk? could they cope with mountains? Could they handle larger dogs to play with? Is there anything else we should consider before adopting? Can they go to agility classes? Part of me thinks maybe he would be happier with an older couple? Rather than a busy family?
Any advice would be most appreciated 😊

this is him ❤ Does he look like a cross?

he is gorgeous but very small!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
He’s adorable!! Each chihuahua is different, but there was a lady here that did do agility with her chihuahua. They do good on walks, I lived on 15 acres in the desert and we would do a herd walk for a few miles and none of them were tired. And it was hot! As for mountains, as long as you train him slowly to build up stamina, he should do well. They are also great cuddlers and love snuggling in blankets and on laps. As long as your other two dogs don’t have a real strong prey drive and think because he’s small, he’s prey, he should do ok with them. My lab loved HIS chihuahuas and now they live with a pit bull. If it gets really cold there, you will have to put a jacket or coat on them as they are from a very warm country. And maybe booties if you’re out for long walks. I do not carry any of my dogs, they are dogs, not accessories. They do bark, but only one of mine can be aggressive. I rescued him at 7 years old from a backyard breeding situation, he lived his entire life up to then in a cage. My others will bark, but then come over for pets. Maybe others will chime in here. But if you do get him, be prepared to get your heart stolen! I was a big dog person until I rescued my first chi, now I have eight of them and can’t imagine my life without them!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
It’s hard to tell if he’s a mix, it’ll be easier as he grows to see. Again, he’s adorable!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts