Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am Denise.

We recently had a stray Chihuahua come home with my oldest son. He was not chipped, not reported to the local humane society or animal shelter as lost and no one responded to our found ad so he is in the process of acclimating to our home.

Spacely is a longhaired tricolor male, intact at the moment but scheduled to be snipped next week. Our vet estimates him to be about 18 months old.

He now has an older sister, Tinsel. Tinsel is a 5 yr old English Springer Spaniel who ignores him. He is getting braver about approaching her and on walks, he will now walk about 3 feet away from her. I think once Spacely relaxes and realizes that life is good that he will get along fine.

I have never had a Chihuahua although we had a Chi mix when I was a kid. I have been reading up on them, most notably on collapsing trachea since that happened when he got stressed at the vet while she tried to look at his teeth.

Someone has spent time with him since he is well mannered on a leash, rides well in a car, just lays down in a crate, doesn't object to a bath, doesn't guard food and likes kids. I find it baffling that no one appears to be looking for this little guy.

Spacely has changed my husband's opinion of the breed from "yappy, annoying dogs" to "if they are all like him, I guess they are not bad dogs" ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is Spacely :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I always wonder the same thing when we pick up our rescues at the shelter. How could someone abandon this wonderful creature? But they do. Or the owner dies. Or they just get loose or stolen, then loose . . . who knows. Thank you so much for rescuing him.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It was fate welcome to the forum :)

ps. to be an official member we need pics :p j/k

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome! I replied to your other thread about collars first, then read this one after it LOL... now that I read he's already had issues with collapsing trachea before, I definitely suggest the harness then. I posted a link on the other thread with some really cute affordable ones.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hello and Welcome...I see that you might be on Pottermore also...;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I am in Pottermore (in Ravenclaw but I have been RavenclawPrefect on various forums for years and years)

Here is a better picture of Spacely, where you can see all of him. He was coming along for a ride when I dropped off one of the kids.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure. She is not an aggressive dog by any stretch, she is one of the most submissive dogs I have ever seen. She will roll, belly up and lay there while he cautiously approaches. If she moves at all, he skitters back.

He is getting better though. He is very interested in her (she is spayed) and looks like he wants to go investigate but just can't bring himself to do it. He will go close to her when she is snoozing or laying in my lap. I just let him proceed at his pace and when he is ready, she will continue to ignore him as she does now.

Based on how he reacts to other dogs at a distance, I think perhaps he has been 100% inside with no contact with other dogs. He follows me everywhere, to include trying to jump into the shower with me earlier.

Tonight we made a major break through at dinner when he attempted to come into the dining room. I just pointed back out and he backed up and went to the living room to lay down while we ate. Good boy!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Sounds like she's the perfect dog to get him comfortable around other dogs then! It really does make you wonder how dogs like him end up homeless. My mom recently rescued a dachshund from the shelter here and he is beautifully behaved too, it's hard to imagine who would give them up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts