Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was on here before and I forgot my name so I re-registered. Obviously I was never very active and possibly only posted 1-2 times so no big deal right?.

A little bit about me and some thoughts.
I currently live in a small affortable housing apartment of three rooms.
I've been building an artist gallery, doing massage work and playing bingo and some other misc.
My hobbies have been playing computer games, watching animations and fish keeping. Which is actually where I knew one of my members here because I had a bunch of bettas.

I had a dog ( eskie) who lived at my parents house after I moved out and was euthanized due to cancer about 5 years ago.
I've wanted a chihuahua, but that hasn't been possible, thanks to limiting cicrumstances. Well sometimes, to be honest, it's more like I have phases where I want a chihuahua and then other times when I have doubts* if should remain "dog-free".

Some of my goals include:
-work towards a massage license that will allow me to work in other countries like one of my instructors.

- Going backpacking, I need to finish the long trail. I would love a doggy hiking buddy to go along.

- Further my artists work. I would like to study animation and work in design and sculpture. Once again having a dog at my side while I work would be lovely.

I'm coming to a phase of my life where getting a chihuahua might be in the cards if I move into a rented house. There are still many challenges to face though. I'm not even sure I want to move there because the house belongs to my parents and we have some nasty fights sometimes.

*Among my doubts concerning a chihuahua and a dog in general are:

-My income/being able to afford proper doggie care. Long story short,I'm lower middle class and things haven't been easy. Due to a child-hood illness, I was unable to work a regular job because I would have regular episodes with my illness. I've been on meds a few years which was a goddess send because I could never have completed my massage training without it.

- My desire to do backpacking trips. I'm left thinking, just how delicate is a chi?.
I think for someone who's had a chronic illness like myself, fitness is very important. I get bored eventually without scenery at a gym so being out in the wilderness sometimes is a must.
On the good note, I love kayaking much more then backpacking and I think a chi would be a wonderful boating buddy.

- The amount of time I spend alone partly due to circumstances. My art-work takes a lot of time due to necessity of trying to produce quality. I hate producing art-work alone, it's difficult to find activity partners for serious art-work.
I've gotten the impression that a chi will develop behavior problems if there isn't enough outside socialization ( correct me if I'm wrong here). I don't want a snarling, mean chi that I can never take anywhere.

- My lack of experience with having a dog in general. It's been maybe 10 yrs with going to college and then moving out on my own that I've had a dog with me. I've gotten the impression that a chi is not really a good beginner dog and a challenge to train ( yes correct me again if I'm wrong here).

So who knows ( assuming you've read all this)?. I guess at this point, I'm going to go back to reading about chis/browsing your forum/lurking. If I get one, I sure need to continue my research and if I don't...well hopefully I still had some fun day-dreaming about it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome back, even though Im new lol

Chihuahuas are great companions.... Have you thought about rehoming one or buying an older one who is house trained? or something then you wont have all the puppy side of things if your not a puppy person?

I wouldnt jump into a decision though, they do need a lot of time spent with them.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
if you are expecting the CHI to WALK trails, such as the Appalachian trail, I don't think a CHI is for you but if you don't mind carrying him/her thru the rough areas and then let 'em walk/run in the nice pretty areas... they make wonderful loyal companions. You should be aware of the Hawks and other birds of prey while 'trekkin'...

they are wonderful, lovin' creatures..... do your research and try going to kennels to looks at other Chis... see if they are the one for you before buying one....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I could carry a chi for short distances I think?. I've seen slings for carrying chis in the front that might work for hiking.
While I would love to fly out and do some backpacking elsewhere such as a section of the AT, I'm sure most of my backpacking will be on the Long trail here in VT for the forseeable future.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think you might want an older chi that's already trained. Chi's are cold natured no matter how much clothes you put on them. Don't know if you like to backpack in the summer or winter, but most chi like to be warm in the winter. You sound like you live an active life-style, so maybe a medium size dog might suit you better. These chis are great companions for lots of things. I take my chi boating & camping & I have twin 5 year olds. She doesn't care where we go or what we do as long as she's with me. Chi's are somewhat fragile and could fall prey to many animals (domestic or wild) even other dogs, so in a residential setting, I have to be on my guard when I let her out. I'm not trying to talk you out of a chi, cause it could possibly be the best dog you will ever own, but there's a lot to consider for your happiness and a chis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts