Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this weekend, Tico has started "hiding" treats.

He loves greenies and up until last week, I was just giving him a couple of the tinsy chips at a time. Then we were at a friends a week ago that had a small greenie bone on the table & I mentioned Tico loves them (at least the chips) and she said she bought a couple & her dog's old teeth couldn't chew on them, so Tico could have that one. So that kept him busy the rest of the night! The next day I picked up a bag of the tiny bones for him. The first one I gave him he took over to his bed and tucked under all the toys. I thought he had just dropped it, so I pulled it out and gave it to him again, and then he dropped it and pushed it under the sofa. So I figured, "Ok... maybe he doesn't want it right now". The next day he got it back out and ran around with it for a while (don't think he really was chewing on it) and he left it behind a file cabinet in a space just big enough for him to get into. A couple hours later, got it out, ran around awhile with it, and "hid" it in some other odd place.

I had given him another greenie bone in his crate, and he "buried" it in his blankets! Now he's started to do that with biscuits too! He will even pull pieces of biscuit out of a kong and "bury" then in his crate!

Maybe he's part chipmunk and getting ready for winter! This may explain his fasination with the acorns outside!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
LOL maybe he was a pirate in a past life and is trying to bury all his treasures! How weird though ... does he go back later and chew on the Greenies or does he leave them there and wait for the next one so he can hide them?

Greenies makes bones similar to nylabones that are green in color but have little brush things on them to brush teeth and freshen breath (without the added calories of the treat themselves - or choking hazards that a lot worry about). You may want to try getting one of those and seeing if that will fool him. It's cheaper than him hiding Greenies everywhere (those are expensive!) and easier than you trying to locate the hidden Greenies all over the house! :lol:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
vixie will hide anything NOT bitesized. if the treat is too big shell hide it somewhere...bones...forget it shell hide it then a little later get it out take a single lik then find a different hiding place..just incase someone saw the previous hiding space...
dunno why shes so insitant realy...especially since if i break whatever shes trying to hide up into small enough peices shell eat it right away.
sometimes she gets so frustrated trying to hide it shell cry while searching.

mabe the greenies are just too big to eat right away...the greeny chips are bitesized...might explain it.

but burrying is an instinctual behaviour, anything wolves dont eat usually gets burried so theres something for the harder times...and also so that other predators (ones big enough to hurt them or kill their pups) cant follow them by way of the scent of their kills.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my mina hid the first time i've ever seen at the park the other day, i gave it to her and she ran around then dug a hole and covered it with her little nose

i was so happy

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jazzy likes to hide her treats too. Sometimes if she can't find what she thinks is a good hiding place, she'll just drop them on the floor, and then use her nose to try to cover them with the carpet - silly dog. Almost every night when I take the throw pillows off to go to bed, there will be "surprises" under the pillows. It's instinctual behavior I think.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tico just started doing the nose thing too!! (that's how he's been burying things in his crate).

Here's a little video of him on my un-made bed with a biscuit.... But he will also do that in the middle of the carpet too! He's going to end up with rug-burns on his little nose!

http://www.veilsbydesign.com/melinda/hidingtreats.AVI
13 seconds & 3.5MB

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Marcus rarely burys things in the house, he will occasionally but not often. The car is a different story though, he hides things in the car all the time and if I'm running errands or something he'll dig a biscuit or a greenie or something out of his stash to tide him over till we get home.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd been giving Oliver these new cookies and he would take one and a few minutes later come back for more and I thought wow his appetite is really growing!

Then yesterday I found a whole stash of cookies, toys and other weird stuff under the couch while I was cleaning!

My other dogs don't do this so maybe it is a chi thing. They'll bury stuff in the yard and stuff but never made a whole stash like that :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts