Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi evrybody ,wondering if anybody could answer my question!?Is is possible to train a male chi to go on trainingpads since boys u know pick up their little legs and not squat.Thanks for any answers :p

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you neuter your boy by the time he is 6 months old, he will probably squat and never raise his leg. Tucker was neutered right at 6 months. He is now 15 months old and has never raised his leg. Raisng the leg for marking usually occurs at sexual maturity. that's why neutering before that happens nips it in the bud, so-to-speak.

If you are not wanting to neuter your puppy, and he begins to raise his leg to pee, you can use a 2 liter soft drink bottle (maybe put sand inside to weight it to keep it standing), and put this in the center of the potty pad for him to use.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info

Thanks tuckersmom for the great info.Why can`t i think of somthing like that(sodabottle) what a unique idea.Well i feel much better now and you take care! :wave: :p :wave:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Ritz was neutered at 5 months and uses pee pee pads without cocking his leg. Occasionally he will semi-lift it to be naughty and pee on something, but 99% of the time he doesn't. I think that leg cocking/marking is a semi-learned behavior, and since he's around Sadie 24-7, he's only seen it done the girl way =)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i'm planning on neutering cosmo in 2 weeks......he will be 5 months then.
i don't want him to lift his leg (or hump paris :D ) is there any other behavioural change that comes with neutering??

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I think it really depends on the dog. Marcus started lifting his leg at 4 months, way before sexual maturity but he still uses his pee pad. I tried the soda bottle thing and it didn't work at all till I wrapped it with a pee pad. He was determined you didn't pee on anything but the pad if you were inside.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget has been hiking his leg since he was 3 months old... it is funny because I put a soda bottle in the middle of his pad.. but it scared him and he wouldn't use it... so I laid it down and he still wouldn't use it... then I wrapped it with a pad and he used it... now he is really good about using it.. sometimes if the potty pad is dirty and I don't get to it fast enough in the morning to change it he will hike his leg on something else..

Good luck and god bless

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad to hear good input...ive thought i was gonna have problems.Thanks! :flower: :flower: :wave:

·
Registered
936 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
i'm planning on neutering cosmo in 2 weeks......he will be 5 months then.
i don't want him to lift his leg (or hump paris :D ) is there any other behavioural change that comes with neutering??

kisses nat
I just read in an article given to me by my vet today, that 90% of nuetered dogs stop roaming. They also are less likely to "get on top of things" like Paris...lol. Even though nuetered this still occurs in some dogs. I think there were one or two more things, but nothing like emotional changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts