Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have to look it up, but I think my new boy is about 19 weeks old and he has a good sized soft spot on the top of his head. Is it possible that this will correct itself, or will he always have the soft spot?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
it will get smaller as he grows but may not entirely close up but this is not uncommon in chis if it never closes you just need to be careful he doesnt bang it etc :wave:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping it'll close ok - He's a little "off" anyway and I wonder if he hasn't been damaged due to the soft spot on his head.

I'm posting from the library and it'll close soon but I'll be back again to write more about him.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
he will only of been damaged if dropped or knocked in someway which can lead to hydrocephalus which is swelling of the brain if you do a search on soft spot and hydrocephalus on the site you will find some helpful info :wave:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo's soft spot is the same size it was when we got him at 8 weeks. It is about the size of a dime....

With that being said our vet said it could take up to a year to close and sometimes they don't close entirely...I just watch him to make sure he doesn't bang his head...

My husband says we should get him a little helmet... :lol:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
what do you mean by a little off?

the soft spot should close up by 18 months (that is what chiwi's vet said.) she is 5 months old in 2 days and it has closed up a lot over the last week.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Poppy had a sizeable molera but it has just about closed now...she is 8 months old.Our vet told us that some never do close completely :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
paris 's molera is the size of a pea at 6 months now
vienna's molera is still very big :? like a daim or so ....she's almost 3 months and a half ........

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget is almost 5 1/2 months and his soft spot is still there but a little smaller than it was when he was born... either that or it is the same size and just seems smaller because his head is larger.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some chis have it some don't. Sally Lolita never had it and Chiquitita's is still the same size that it was at 2 months when I got her. (Now she is 6 months old) I am just extra careful when I play with her or when the other dogs r playing with her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pup has a nice sized soft spot. Along with that, he seems to have a lazy eye and his gait is also off balance. In all, he is happy, but not quite right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts