Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think the crate is very helpful for us because we can't keep him constantly supervised. However, we do leave him out during the day in a fenced pen area in the kitchen where he has his chew toys, water and his weeweepad. We only keep him locked up during the night.

He is very sweet and we'd hate to make his first few months here a traumatic experience. Maybe we will look into getting him a friend.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Oh you posted pictures of that cutie patootie without a cute warning!! LOL He's adorable!!

My only advice about the crate would be that they're "designed" to sleep in, so you may want to confine the little guy to a bathroom or small area in the kitchen and put the crate in there, pee pads, etc... and just leave the crate door open so he's got a place to sleep. You may do that already; I'm a bit goofy (okay, a lot goofy) and might have missed it.

The cats will probably provide great entertainment for your chi... I don't necessarily agree with those that have said to get another chi because cats aren't great companions for them. That being said, MY cat absolutely hates my chi, but she hates everyone. :lol: But if your cats are getting along well with the puppy, they will probably entertain him very well once he's old enough to leave out in your home without worries of potty accidents. I've had plenty of cats in my lifetime that were my previous chi's best friends.

I commend you on your quest for suggestions... I'm sure your family will make a great chi family, especially since you seem to be willing to go to any length to keep your chi happy! I hope he realizes what a lucky little guy he is!!

I'll stress again that once he's able to go outside, lots of exercise will help him with boredom while you're gone... especially if you aren't able to cut down work hours, etc and he has to stay home with the kitties for extended periods of time. Puppy classes or general obedience would help as well. I learned a lot of information, not only in how to train my dog, but how to keep him entertained, even when I'm not home. It was also great socialization for him since you are unable to be home with him as much as you would like to be. :D

Good luck with the little guy... he's adorable!! And give your kitties extra love during this time - you don't want them to turn on you like mine did. LOL

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey

Your little guy really is cute. My boyfriend and I both work. I leave about 6.30ish in the morning and sometimes my boyfriend does to.. but then sometimes he'll stay in bed with Zola til 9 pr 10am. It really depends on what hours he does that day. I am working 8-4s at the moment so Im back in my house for 5 ish. SO Zola is left most of the day. Lucky for me tho I have a neighbour who I trust and is totally in love with Zola. They fed him his lunch and sometimes take him into there house for a few hours to run about and play with him.
I have never crated Zola. At night he sleep in a big baby play pen and when he cries to get out in the morning I take him out and he sleeps in my bed. Id have him in bed all night only he might need to poo or pee and I might not wake up. Also I never sleep deeply while he's in bed cuz Im paranoid he falls out or something.
Anyway... while we're at work we give him full run of my kitchen. Its not square its more like long ways, if that makes any sense. So he can run the whole lenght or it. Also there is nothing on the floor like wires, etc for him to be in danger of or chew on. Everything like my dishwasher and dryer has the wires pushed up against the wall so that there is no way possible he can get to them. He's left with plenty of toys, water, and chews and if he has any left over breakfast he gets left that to. Then fed at lunch. He is left pee pads as he is trained to them.. So there always a nice poop on it for me coming in. haha. He goes crazy when I come in, jumping at my face, kissing me and crying. The he calms down about 10 mins after that.
He;s really lazy in the mornings so I think he probably just goes back to sleep once we leave for a good few hours then my neighbours come in then not TO long after Im home. So... thank god for my neighbours.
My advice to you tho would be to leave the crate door open for him, like someone else said so he can come and go as he pleases and if there any room you can leave him in for the full run of it that would be good. Being left alone that amount of time they nned lots of space. I was gonna leave Zola in his babypen at first but thought.... not way thats no way big enough... even tho he was tiny

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out for you

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
oh sorry my mistake I trhought you said in your first post you kept him in the bathroom with a crate for 10 hours during the day and then he is crated again at night :wave:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry, I guess I am guilty of not reading the first posts real well also. i do believe you are doing the best that U can as we all try to do. And that is all anyone can ask. Your baby is beautiful and it will work out for you. :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I think it is great that you are willing to make an extra effort to make things easier on your baby, even to re-arranging your work hours if necessary. I wish all chi owners were that committed.

You've been given some excellent suggestions. I'm fortunate as I'm retired and could spend plenty of time with Jazzy when I got her last year. Earlier this spring, I did go back to work for 3 months on a temporary basis and I was really worried about how Jazzy would adjust, but she did great. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was able to be with her 24/7 for the first 6 months.

As suggested, if you can puppy proof your kitchen and block it off from the rest of the house, that would be the best place for him with his toys, food, puppy pads and crate. It would be even better if your friend or neighbor could stop by a least once a day to play with him for a few minutes.

Your Charlie is an absolute doll - what a sweet little face.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck. :wave:

·
Registered
41 Posts
First I have to say Charlie is soooooo cute!!! I feel bad for you because you have to leave tiny Charlie home for that long. It's very sad when owner's don't think about consequences before buying a pet....however I'm happy to hear that you are doing everything you can to help Charlie!! I did'nt have time to read what everyone's post that replied to you, however when I had to start leaving Bago home alone he was somewhat potty trained so I left him in a little bit of a bigger space than the bathroom - I left him in our kitchen with LOT"S of toys! his bed and a big blanket food and water and his wee wee pad's and he did just fine! I also had a close retired neighbor come in and check on him. And soon he was able to stay in our room. I would'nt get another chihuahua until Charlie is fully trained so that way he can help the other, I think you may have said you have cat's sooner or later Charlie will be playing with them and you won't feel so bad leaving him home. Bago is very spoiled and get's to sleep with us but if you have him locked up all day and then crate him at night it's not very fair to him he need's lots of socialization, you may want to try sleeping close to him until he stop's crying I also used a plastic heart that had a beat and put it in Bago's bed at night and he loved it!! Well good luck to you - it will work out!!! Charlie is such a cutieeeee pie!!!!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
He's absolutely adorable! I love the pic where he's looking at the bone like, "Mommy, do you really expect me to eat that thing???" :lol:

I must add a note of caution. If that's rawhide please be very careful as it can pose a real choking hazard if he bites off a piece. Please, either watch him the whole time he chews on it or find a less dangerous alternative. :wave:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts