Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips and ideas for leaving your chi alone at home?
Do people leave them to roam, or crate them? Leave a radio in etc xxx
I left Teddy for the first time yest for 10 mins in the kitchen with all his bits and he howled and whimpered the whole time :-(

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
To start with I give mine a distraction like a kong or a meal so she's preoccupied. I leave the TV on and make sure I'm dressed in advance so she doesn't associate me putting my coat and shoes on with leaving.

I sit for 5 mins and then when she's properly distracted I just slip out the door without saying anything. I did this for short periods of time and built up from there. When I get back, I don't cuddle her for 5/10 mins so she doesn't think that her whining brought me back.

I also set my webcam up to watch her. She currently whines for a few minutes as she checks the rooms but then settles down in her bed to wait.

Gradually desensitising him will work eventually. Just don't make a fuss about leaving/returning and get him used to you being out of the room even when you're home.

It might take a few weeks so you'll need to be patient with him. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I give a stuffed, frozen kong when we leave. If you are going to be gone a short time then you could crate him. Otherwise I use a playplen. Too many things for puppies to get into trouble with to leave them roam, imo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts