Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we are gone Marcus doesn't seem to eat or drink anything no matter how long we are gone. I gave him a treat before I left and he didn't eat it. His toys don't seem played with and I am wondering what he is doing during the day. What does everyone else do with their babies. I am going back to work soon and I am afraid he will get depressed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Tico is in his crate whenever I'm not home & overnight and he's always been really good with it. He sometimes acts like he'd rather be in it than out (he will not nap unless in my lap or in his crate).
One thing I read about leaving chihuahuas is to not make a big deal about it when you leave and return. Just act as if you were walking to/from the next room. If they are coe'd over they will think something is wrong and worry or be upset.
You may want to bring him a new toy, that you know he will love, and leave that with him on your way out one day and see what he does with that. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I agree... don't make a big deal about leaving or coming home because you'll send the wrong message to the dog.

The thing I found that works with my pup (besides taking him everywhere with me) is to have a routine for when you leave and when you arrive home. Oddly enough, it's more difficult to train yourself to do the routine than it is for the dog to get used to it.

For example, if I'm leaving for a short period of time - under 2 or 3 hours - I'll give Cooper a treat right before I leave. Every time, I stand in the same location and it's a milkbone-sized treat so he'll have to work on it. (If I'm gone for a long period of time, I will give him a kong filled with yummy stuff or a Greenie bone.) He always takes treats to the living room so I wait for him to turn and run in there and that's when I leave - the only thing I say is "OmaKitty is in charge" and I walk out the door.

When I come home, I walk in and do not speak to him at all with the exception of a nonchalont "hey Coop". I put my car keys down, toss the bills somewhere I can't see them, look at the answering machine, then I walk to the back door and I ask if Coop's gotta go potty. He goes out, comes in and then we get kisses and snuggles. It not only is good for dominance training but it keeps the dog from getting overexcited during the transitions of coming and going.

I actually set up a webcam to watch Cooper while I wasn't home (and to make sure OmaKitty wasn't abusing him too badly) and I was shocked at what I saw. The little buggar waited for a while after I left (I'm assuming he was waiting until the garage door went down) then he jumped on the couch, got under the blanket and went to sleep. After about 3 hours, he got off the couch, drank some water and looked at OmaKitty, who was sleeping on the chair. I thought "this is where it's going to get good" and grabbed the popcorn.

It was a snoozer... OmaKitty ignored him, he walked around, grabbed a toy, looked at it for a second then jumped up on the couch, got under the blanket and went back to sleep. :sleepy1: :sleepy1: :sleepy1:

Don't feel bad about leaving him all day... just make sure he's got something to keep him company (kongs are great - I cannot sing their praises enough) and that he gets a lot of exercise both before you leave and after you come home - that helps get rid of any nervous energy he might have.

Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Tyke didnt used to eat or play i know this as i tape him on webcam!
so what i do is make sure hes feed before i leave him!
does your baby have a treat that he really really likes? tyke loves chesse :D when he didnt eat when i was gone i would put a bits of cheese in with his food and he would sniff out the cheese then eat all his din dins!

i think helps if you take him for a walk b4 you leave...
and as copper says try to get in to a routine and dont make a fuss!
i used to come home and as soon as i got in the door i would hug kiss play with tyke! now im trained (thanks to the wonderfull people on this website) :D and ill sort myself out b4 i hug tyke...and not make a big deal!

Tyke is still getting used to being home alone...and the more i leave him the more chilled he is becoming being left alone :D

tho he still sticks to me like gule when i come home *bless*

if you have a webcam they taping him...then you will know what he gets up to 4 sure :D

good luck
star x

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel is in her pen whenever we aren't home. She is well adjusted to it. I don't think she does much when we are gone except sleep. Sometimes she eats or drinks but not always. She does eat the treat I give her as I leave though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Our Charlie doesn't eat either while we're gone. We leave him his meal but he never touches it! I know for sure he drinks his water though. But he doesn't touch his food unless we're there making him eat it. We even left him a treat yesterday and it was left untouched. I bet he just sleeps all day when we're gone. We have to set up a webcam soon to see what he does, like Cooper's mom, I'm curious what my kitties are doing with Charlie while we're gone. :)

We leave Charlie in his playpen, which is pretty much the kitchen, but fenced off, and he has his little crate that he sleeps in. Yesterday when we came home, we found him very distraught and weary, because the crate door closed on accident and he couldn't get in to sleep :( He must've been so tired and uncomfortable sleeping on the bare tile. So we tied the door up to make sure it will never shut on him again. Today I'm sure he'll get very nice long nap. :) and besides a little whinning, I bet that's all he'll be doing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone :) but I still feel bad about going back to work. I am going to come home at lunch to make myself feel better. I am starting back in two weeks and trying to leave him a couple of hours a day to get use to me being gone. I think I am having the most separation anxiety :?

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's hard I know. I will eventually be back in that same situation. I used to work during the day and worked too far away to come home for lunch. Was very hard to leave Angel for that long but I didn't have a choice. She got used to it pretty easily but she is definitely used to me being home all day now so going back to work in the future will be like starting all over again. Hang in there and try not to stress too much. Easier said than done, I know. Once a good routine is established, I am sure you both will be fine. :)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ok, so i do it all wrong. I greet my dogs like i haven't seen them in 3 weeks. They all sing happy little barks as soon as they hear my car coming. I usually say something like "There's my babies! Everybody go outside to make a potty!" The grown ones go outside, Jolie leaps into my arms and Boomer starts to squawk if i haven't already picked him up. I can't (won't) change because of this: Kelsey (my chi from 1983-1987) used to just do flip flops when i came home and i always just greeted her with a "hi there, B." I called her "B" as a shortened name for "baby" and hardly ever called her Kelsey. Anyway, Kelsey died suddenly and when i got Tiffany 2 days later, i swore i would always greet her with the same enthusiasm that she greeted me with. And i did til the day she died. I am the same with the dogs i have now. For my heart and piece of mind, i have to do this because if one of them dies tomorrow, i want to be able to know in my heart that they knew i loved them and was always happy to see them. Does that make any sense?

Besides, in spite of it all, not a one of them questions who's the boss around here. They are..... :shock: ....I mean I AM>lolololol :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts