Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure all of your have been made aware multiple times -sorry!- Bijoux comes home tomorrow. We are all ready for her -I hope- just wondering if anyone had any advice for her pick up, car ride and introducing her to my golden retriever. He is my biggest worry since he's been an only child until now -spoiled mutt ; p- my only worry is that he will accidentally send her for a tumble when he would get excited -hence her pen-

i'm rambling again..sorry!...anyone have any first 48 hours advice that you wish someone had told you, or advice for a first time chi owner? I'm sure she will teach me so much but I think it's best to be prepared can't have her knowing she know more right off the bat

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Yer the first night is hard lol
Get a ticking clock
a teddy bear
wrap both in something that smells of you for the night time as my puppie cryed all night so next night i did this it worked a treat.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Well i'm sure you know but you should introduce them in a more "neutral" place. I introduced Leila to Finnegan outside when the breeder brought finn I just took leila outside on lead to meet him. I didn't do that with my mixed girl or my boxer though. And everything has been fine. Having said that my pack are all fairly submissive. I do not leave finn out all the time because he is so tiny. He has "play times" and usually I will put my boxer up during that time in case he would accidentally step on finn since finn moves at the speed of light! ;)
Good Luck!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree with the above but would like to add that you need to give them supervised visits in your home and yard until your puppy is older and you can fully trust your Golden. It may take a little time before they realize that they need to be careful around each other.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your great advice! I couldn't agree more with your advice there is a field across from us we are thinking to let Lincoln run around and get his energy out then I'll show him that I'm holding her do you think this is a safe choice?

I always said, I'm not afraid on him being in the pen with her, i'm afraid of him accidentally knocking the pen over @[email protected]

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
How exciting not long now,i did the radio,the cuddly toy,and a heat pad if it's chilly,i also got a blanket from the breeder and she rubbed it on the mother so when your new chi comes home ,the smells of her mum are on it and it's a smell she knows .Good luck

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I would also add that you should ask friends, neighbors and family members when they come to visit to make a big fuss over your Golden FIRST before oohing and ahhing over the puppy. The puppy will know nothing different but it will keep the "first" dog from feeling forgotten or second best.
Likewise, if they bring a toy for the baby, let your other dog play with it (as if it was a gift for them) so that they do not feel like the "new guy" gets all the time, attention, squeals and goodies.
Congrats! Let us know how it goes and pictures, please!!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
For the first car journey, I tried having Daisy on my lap wrapped in a towel, but she was moving far too much and trying to escape. Luckily I had bought her carry box with me, so we stopped the car and put her in there. She did cry for a bit but eventually just curled up and went to sleep. So if you've got one, I'd advise taking a travel box for if your baby doesn't like the car. :)

I don't have experience with introducing puppies to other dogs, but I have read that it's best to let the puppy settle in before letting your other dog meet the new one?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the amazing advice everyone I will be taking it to heart, we are super excited to have Bijoux come home, bought her puppy blanket from babies r us and I promise many many pictures :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts