Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there feeding their pups on homemade dogfood rather than store bought?? About four years ago, I changed my guys to a homemade diet and they are doing much better. Ed was forever having anal sac problems and that has cleared up wonderfully. Emma would throw up her food from time to time or go off her food when she was on store bought., and now she is much healthier... no tummy problems.

Most people think I'm nuts to go to that much trouble for my dogs, but the quality of meat in most dog foods is questionable and I only want what's best for my two fur babies!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would like to do this too, and then perhaps my dad wouldn't insist on giving Bandit people food b/c he doesn't want to eat his dog food., I personally think Bandit knows not to eat his food at their house b/c he knows he will get what PawPaw is eating :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
the clothing shop that Cooper frequents sells a freeze dried "homemade" food that you just add water to and either warm up in the microwave or bake in the oven. I have never tried him on a homemade diet because he's a little chubby and, although it is probably better for him, it's not good for his weightloss.

Plus, I don't want to be sitting around, eating frozen pizzas or Hot Pockets, while my dog's munchin' down on pot roast and potatoes. :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
LOL. Well, I really enjoy cooking so i'm not the type to eat frozen foods. I tried for a while feeding rice/chicken to my Lab, but Abbie hated the rice and for a 100 lb dog it's too expensive to feed chicken everyday. I'll probably feed Tinkerbell homemade food, and just give the other dogs a little bit of chicken so they feel loved too. I don't want them to get jealous!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would love too, but I'd be nervous he wouldn't get all the right nutrients. Plus I barely ever cook for myself...and being a vegetarian, I don't even know how to make a chicken or roast!! :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I stock up on chicken thighs and legs, or quarters when its on sale. Then its only 29 cents a pound.
I boil the chicken...if you bake it...it tends to have too much fat soaked into the meat. After it boils, I cook the rice in the chicken water...just to add flavor, and then I put it in lil tupperware containers in the freezer....I pop one in the fridge every morning to thaw, and mic it for 30 seconds. They love it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The net is full of good homemade dog food recipes I found when I went looking. The one I use is chicken - rice -multigrain flour - peas & carrots-
molassis ( for their coats ) - egg- dogg vitamins - glucosamine because they are getting older and need the edge - and flax oil.
It all gets chopped up and mixed then I just drop teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet and bake.

My guys just love their "cookies" and they have been so much healthier on them its not funny. If Ed would just stick to his supper he wouldn't weigh as much but him and his Dad love to snack together! I keep giving both of them heck but you know guys... they just won't listen!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts