Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving some thought to making my own "pre-made" dog food, kind of like some do baby food.

I figure if I were to do this, I could get the correct ratios for non-bone-in meals of organ meat and meat. Mine seem to tolerate organ a bite or 2 a meal with bone-free meals just fine, and the other meal that day could be bone in.

I was thinking of making beef, chicken and turkey cubes, lamb cubes if I could find ground lamb, too.

In them, I'd put 80% of the ground or chopped meat, a fingernail or so sized piece of organ (liver), and a bit of something like beef heart, and 10% something like sweet potato in maybe 1 flavor of the cubes (so it wouldn't be with every meal). They LOVE sweet potato and I don't think 10% will hurt them a few days a week. Was thinking I'd top the cubes off with a fish or coconut oil, different type for each flavor, and Nupro.

I could do these in big batches, freezing them in ice cube trays then popping them out to store in bags in the freezer.

What do you guys think? I think it would be a better, fresher alternative to the pre-made frozen raws we've been using, and it would be pretty easy to make a big ol' batch and easy to feed, also probably a lot cheaper than the pre-made raws.

I think I can make them so I get all the ratios of everything right, incl. the correct amount of nupro/oils. That way when feeding time comes I don't have to play chemist and mix the jabeezus out of all their stuff into the food...

I don't have any way to grind bone so I probably can't add that, unless I can get the meat counter man to grind up a tray or two of chicken wings with the bone in. Will have to see on that.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I know people who do this on other husky forums. They grind the meat, separate it into daily portions and freeze it every week. So each day of the week they bring down the exact portion for that day out of the freezer. Supplement RMBs once a week or more (as needed) to get some bone content in them and you should be good. :)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I've also thought about doing this, but like you I dont have a grinder to grind bone.

The ready made raw I use either has alot of veggies,( darcy dosent do so well on this one) and other stuff in or none at all, I prefer to use the the one that is just pure chicken and bone but then I have to mess about with cutting up kidney, heart, liver etc. Id love to be able to just grind the whole lot up together and be done with it.

Paige isnt doing so well on RAW so i have just changed her to taste of the wild

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to come up with a few recipes then post them here to see what you think/if they sound balanced.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK here are 2 examples of mixtures I might make/freeze...opinions needed, esp. on Organ content, as I am unsure of amounts/ratios, and LOL I suck at math, much better w/ the other side of my brain ;)

Beef Cubes (Pre-made, homemade raw) Recipe
2.5 cups chopped beef
2.5 cups lean ground beef
1/8 cup liver
1/8 cup beef heart
½ cup cooked/mashed sweet potato
¼ cup coconut oil
1/8 cup Nupro

Grind everything up together either in food processor or mix thoroughly with hand mixer, freeze in 1 ounce ice cube trays.

Pork Pre-Made Homemade Raw Recipe
1 cup ground pork
1 cup chopped pork
1 tablespoon liver (not sure on the ratio here?)
1 tablespoon other organ (suggestions?)
1 tablespoon sardines
1 tablespoon salmon oil
2 tablespoons Nupro
2 dried/ground eggshells
1 raw egg

Grind everything up together either in food processor or mix thoroughly with hand mixer, freeze in 1 ounce ice cube trays.

Then, I'd feed bone heavy meals 4ish times a week such as chicken wing tips. Other meals would consist of THK/Stella & Chewy's & Ziwi.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Those look like great recipes to me, and I think it's a fantastic idea! I do think your organ amounts are a little low.

It looks like, in the first recipe, that the liver excluded, you have about six cups all totaled. 5% of 6 cups is about 1/3 cup (or a tiny bit less), so you might want to do 1/3 cup of liver instead of 1/8. Also, are you using heart as a second organ? It's a great thing to feed, but because heart is muscle, it counts as meat rather than organ.

In the second recipe, I think you end up wanting to put it two TBSP of each organ rather than 1 to get the 5% (and kidney would be a great second organ, as would pancreas, spleen or brain, if you can get 'em).

If you did want to make some cubes with bone-in, you might consider ordering some grinds from a place like Hare-Today. Then you could have some cubes that are boneless and some made from bone-in grinds and dish out whichever one you wanted. Though, for dental health, a couple unground bone-in meals a week is a great idea!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those look like great recipes to me, and I think it's a fantastic idea! I do think your organ amounts are a little low.

It looks like, in the first recipe, that the liver excluded, you have about six cups all totaled. 5% of 6 cups is about 1/3 cup (or a tiny bit less), so you might want to do 1/3 cup of liver instead of 1/8. Also, are you using heart as a second organ? It's a great thing to feed, but because heart is muscle, it counts as meat rather than organ.

In the second recipe, I think you end up wanting to put it two TBSP of each organ rather than 1 to get the 5% (and kidney would be a great second organ, as would pancreas, spleen or brain, if you can get 'em).

If you did want to make some cubes with bone-in, you might consider ordering some grinds from a place like Hare-Today. Then you could have some cubes that are boneless and some made from bone-in grinds and dish out whichever one you wanted. Though, for dental health, a couple unground bone-in meals a week is a great idea!
Thanks! I talked to Tracy too who said I should add Kidney to both recipes, and oysters for zinc to the first so they get enough zinc :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm excited. I think this is a great idea. I agree with adding kidney so you have two organs which are so nutrient dense. The heart is a rich food with lots of taurine, so definitely keep that in the mix.

Keep us posted and take pics of your recipes and how your dogs take to them! Sure would be easy to just thaw meatballs in the morning instead of having to prepare/watch over regular raw meals. I think it's a brilliant idea. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow..so much work.....I'm a bad mommie...I'm so lazy ..
Haha I hope it won't be that bad, I'm going to set up camp and do it this weekend! I mean, after its done, its pretty much ultimately lazy!

I will post final recipes used as well as pics of how it comes out. I'd rather do it all at once then be dicing and slicing organs every day...gross. Hehe :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm excited. I think this is a great idea. I agree with adding kidney so you have two organs which are so nutrient dense. The heart is a rich food with lots of taurine, so definitely keep that in the mix.

Keep us posted and take pics of your recipes and how your dogs take to them! Sure would be easy to just thaw meatballs in the morning instead of having to prepare/watch over regular raw meals. I think it's a brilliant idea. :)
Hehe thats really what I'm going for...we have to watch ours really closely during RMB meals anyway so I don't want to have to do that all the time.

I do think I will give them a small treat as I have been about 10 min before feeding the store-bought pre-mades to get tummy acids working, usually I do a Stella & Chewy's carnivore crunch since we started those...but really just any tiny tidbit to get tummy acids going before food hits, I know I've read that's an issue w/ pre-mades.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Haha I hope it won't be that bad, I'm going to set up camp and do it this weekend! I mean, after its done, its pretty much ultimately lazy!
It is kinda time consuming to do the mixes. I know people who started doing their own raw mix and freezing it into daily portions. They'd make up a week or two worth of food on the weekends and just pop a daily meal out each day. A few months into it they quit doing premixes on the weekend and went back to regular raw feeding. I guess for some it's still easier to do daily menus, I'd like to know after a few months your of doing the homemade premixes which you think was easier after having spent time doing both. I hope you'll update us!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I did a similar version of meatballs for Brody back in July of 2010. Mine were ground chicken wings with bone, ground beef, chicken heart, liver, gizzards, and canned pumpkin. He ate them well for about a week then decided he didn't like them anymore!!! At that point I gave up and went straight to prey model and he's been on that every since (over a year now).

I do think it's a novel idea and it would certainly be better quality control than a pre-made. You'd know exactly what is in it and could adjust accordingly (leave out all the veggies and fruits). You could do your own ratio of meat/bone/organs which would sure be nice. In addition, it would be WAYYYYYYYYY cheaper than the store bought pre-mades.

Keep us updated Kristi! :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Val, I am going to make a LOT, like enough for 2 months, hopefully, after the first initial batch for taste test :)

...I know my piglets will eat whatever it is, so as long as Oakley eats it that will be the true test haha.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Val, I am going to make a LOT, like enough for 2 months, hopefully, after the first initial batch for taste test :)
LOL I keep forgetting what size dogs we're feeding. I spend so much time on husky forums that making huge batches of raw equals only a week or two when you have multiple huskies who eat 1-2 lbs of food a day per dog. The same amount would go ten times further for a chi! Still keep us updated! Fingers crossed it's not only fairly easy but they like it too! :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I find beef liver and kidney easily at Walmart. Heart is easy to find there too, although it counts as a meat and not an organ. You can also try ethnic markets. They often have a good variety of meats and organs and they are usually very cheap! If all else fails, you can order them from hare-today.com, or ask a hunter to save them for you. We recently got a huge bag of venison organs (liver, heart, kidney, lungs) for free from a friend that hunts.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I find beef liver and kidney easily at Walmart. Heart is easy to find there too, although it counts as a meat and not an organ. You can also try ethnic markets. They often have a good variety of meats and organs and they are usually very cheap! If all else fails, you can order them from hare-today.com, or ask a hunter to save them for you. We recently got a huge bag of venison organs (liver, heart, kidney, lungs) for free from a friend that hunts.
Really at Wal-mart? Is it in the regular meat section?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts