Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
ok, it's official, my pups are strange. lol. I just gave the THK Force a second go after they totally turned their noses up at it the first time. I mean they wouldn't touch it previously.

This time I mixed up a small portion and let them lick it off a spoon and they went nuts for it. Baffling considering their reaction the last time. I then split the portion into their bowls and they went crazy for it, lapping it up like mad. How is this possible after they turned their noses at it the first time? I guess they're moody. lol. I gave them their Fromm afterward and I'll see how their stools are tomorrow. Thanks for your help, Kristi. :)

Also thanks to Val, who got me on to it initially and answered so many of my questions. So maybe THK is an option for mine afterall. I'm quite shocked at their reaction to it today. Happy though. I just hope I don't have loose stools tomorrow... we'll see. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
ok, it's official, my pups are strange. lol. I just gave the THK Force a second go after they totally turned their noses up at it the first time. I mean they wouldn't touch it previously.

This time I mixed up a small portion and let them lick it off a spoon and they went nuts for it. Baffling considering their reaction the last time. I then split the portion into their bowls and they went crazy for it, lapping it up like mad. How is this possible after they turned their noses at it the first time? I guess they're moody. lol. I gave them their Fromm afterward and I'll see how their stools are tomorrow. Thanks for your help, Kristi. :)

Also thanks to Val, who got me on to it initially and answered so many of my questions. So maybe THK is an option for mine afterall. I'm quite shocked at their reaction to it today. Happy though. I just hope I don't have loose stools tomorrow... we'll see. :)

LOL...that is so funny! I'm glad you gave it another try. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Wonderful review Kristi!

If you e-mail the company and tell them about your dogs (age, breed, activity level), they will send you free samples of the formulas they recommend.

We also use HK and love it. I use Force and Embark. We use a 1:1 ratio anything more and it's too soupy.

I might start boiling the water for it too. I've been using hot tap but I don't want to introduce lead to my girls!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wonderful review Kristi!

If you e-mail the company and tell them about your dogs (age, breed, activity level), they will send you free samples of the formulas they recommend.

We also use HK and love it. I use Force and Embark. We use a 1:1 ratio anything more and it's too soupy.

I might start boiling the water for it too. I've been using hot tap but I don't want to introduce lead to my girls!
You don't even have to let it boil, just heat it up on the stove -- you don't want it too hot or it 'cooks' the food lol.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts

Yay! I'm glad they took some. Can't wait to hear how they handle it. Keep us updated please!

But it sounds like a lot of work/thinking. I am bad about forgetting to get things, do things, etc. lol
I am afraid she wouldn't get everything she needed. I mean it sounds like you have a lot of extras you are giving them in addition to the thk. How do you know how much of each thing each dog would need.? omg the not knowing and trying to remember what she'd had and what she needed to get, would drive me bonkers.
Do you get it off "their" site or elsewhere? how much is shipping?
THK is really really easy! Their complete formulas are great and don't need any additions but of course you are more than welcome to add things to it as you please. It really is simple and you can tailor it to your dogs, your schedule, and your feeding preference. Embark and Thrive are the 2 complete formulas suitable for puppies.

You can order THK on their website, from other pet food websites, or possibly pick it up at your local specialty pet food store. Shipping charges on THK's website are based on order amount. If you check their website you can find a feeding guide and you can also view their shipping charges.

I get my Honest Kitchen wherever it is cheapest, normally I get it special ordered at my local pet food store (so I don't have to pay shipping) but I just ordered two 10 lb boxes from DoggieFood.com a few days ago because they have a great deal going on. THK formulas were on sale plus there is a 22% off all Honest Kitchen products coupon code: HK22. I got a great deal on it! Paid less than $87 for a 10 lb box of Verve and a 10 lb box of Keen. That ends up meaning it only cost $1.01/lb! That's the best deal I've ever gotten on any dog food ever! :D

I have forgotten over and over to share that our Glory had allergies/itchy feet the entire time we've had her even after trying different shampoos, cleaning products, foods, etc. After months and months of nothing helping, I am ecstatic that since she's been on The Honest Kitchen she hasn't had any allergies/itchy feet issues! :hello1:

Oh and I'm sure some of you may be tired of hearing this but I do have coupons I can email to anyone interested in trying THK. The coupons are good in store for local purchases or at their online store. Just throwing that out there in case anyone is interested. And even if you buy THK they completely guarantee their products so if you're not satisfied you can return it for a full refund.

As for picky dogs, even my dogs hesitated before eating the first few days that I fed them THK. After that first few days though they just dive right in and absolutely love it! Never before on any kibble or canned food have they eaten with as much gusto as they eat THK. My dogs ate kibble/canned at a normal pace but with THK they completely snarf it down in no time. My dogs also used to wait quietly while I prepared their dinner when I fed kibble/cans, but since switching to THK they "sing" for their supper. You should hear the commotion my three make while waiting for their Honest Kitchen dinner. LOL They "sing" and whine and bark and are constantly jumping all over me and competing for the best position (closest to me!) to be fed first. Ever since starting them on THK feeding times have become a frenzy! :rolleyes:

Also regarding warming the water, I put room temp tap water into a container and microwave it until it is lukewarm. :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Gladto hear your pups are loving THK. None of my girls would eat it. I bought every sample at our pet shop thinking maybe one would wrk, but no luck:( so glad ziwipeak is the only thing they still eat like it's their last meal lol!! I buy one of every flavor to rotate so they have a bit of variety. Isn't it exciting when
our dogs finally eat and love something that is good for them! I was thrilled!!!

Lori

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i'd like to try it. pretty sure leila will like it, i think she'd eat dirt if i put it in her bowl. :laughing8:
Let us know how she does...I mean, worst comes to worst, you buy a box of it, and decide its not what you want to feed for whatever reason (cost, she doesn't do well on it, simply won't eat it even after a few days, etc.), you feed it to your big dogs and move on with your life LOL. But if she does like it and if you find it feasible on your end as her owner, then you have something you both can feel good about.

·
Registered
285 Posts
After all the positive reviews I had to order a sample. I went with the keen and hopefully it is the right one for my girls. Would love to feed something better than wellness.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I can well imagine leila's reaction to it. I made some scrambled eggs this morning and it was like she knew she was getting some. I put it in her bowl of kibble and she RAN-----> to her pen to get to that bowl. She went so fast in fact...she slid on the linoleum while whippin' it around the corner. I bout busted a gut!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Its such ashame. I'd love to try ziwi peak too, but thats just wayyyyy out of my price range.
I know Ziwipeak is supposed to be good, it is so expensive though! I wouldn't be so bad with 1 but you have 4. I hate having to order food online as well, I like to be able just to pop in and pick food up, we have no choice over here in the UK!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I don't think ziwipeak is that pricey considering the amount you feed isn't as much as kibble since it's all meat, and they fill up faster with it, than the filler foods. And since the chi's are small it is worth it. Now.....if I had to feed 3 really large dogs I could just I imagine the dent In the old pocket book lol!!! Yikes!!!!!

Lori

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Now.....if I had to feed 3 really large dogs I could just I imagine the dent In the old pocket book lol!!! Yikes!!!!!
I calculated out how much it would cost me to feed Ziwipeak to my 60 lb husky only and it would cost me well over $200 a month to feed JUST my husky! :nshocked2: I would be homeless in no time! It doesn't even cost that much to feed ME for a month!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
hee hee..... I beleive that!! I would choke I I had big dogs that ate it. I could live off of cup if noodles lol!! Of course don't think Hubbie and kids would go for it rofl !!

I calculated out how much it would cost me to feed Ziwipeak to my 60 lb husky only and it would cost me well over $200 a month to feed JUST my husky! :nshocked2: I would be homeless in no time! It doesn't even cost that much to feed ME for a month!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I just placed an order for ziwipeak from petfooddirect.com and saved 15% off entire order so that just about took care of shipping, plus the case of 12 cans of Ziwi were on sale for $44.99 Insted of $46.99 and the 11 lb bag was onsale for $103.99 instead of $119.99 so this is cheaper than me having to drive to our next town to buy it, plus they only sell the smal bags.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts