Chihuahua People Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I love THK & so does Midgie! I showed my vet & she was impressed with the quality of ingrediants & thought it was a great food for my Chi. Her only concern was listeria because of the alfalfa. Try not to leave the food set out for any length of time. But I'm glad flipstar mentioned about adding boiling water to the food. Didn't realize it would cook food. Good info.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Zeal is going to be crazy expensive I think it's supposed to sell at around a hundred bucks for the 10 lb box. No way will I be able to feed that!

A 10 lb box of HK lasts me about a

month for my three (they are 6.5 lbs, 7 lbs, and 59 lbs). How much HK are you feeding each of yours? My girls get 1/8 cup each if I mix it with additional meat and give them other food for breakfast. If I were to feed THK exclusively then they'd get 1/4 cup of HK daily. If I feed them a different breakfast and THK for dinner with no meat added then I feed 1/6 cup. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yes, I think it made sense. I was wondering if I was planning on feeding enough. My smaller 3 (all between 4.5-5lbs) I was planning on giving 1/8th of a cup for dinner. Then they get the morning 1/8c of ZiwiPeak & a tbsp of wet ZiwiPeak. I'm wondering if I should give them a bit more? Maybe closer to 1/6c for dinner? Than the other 3 (energetic 7lb, slow metabolism 8.5lb & Marley at 6lbs but seems to, for whatever reason, require more food) are getting about 1/5c of Honest Kitchen for dinner & 1/5c ZiwiPeak plus 1tbsp of wet ZiwiPeak for bfast.

Taking out what I did for their dinner makes me think it'll last quite a while but I'm horrid at trying to really figure things like that out. So I just thought I'd wait & see how it holds up. LOL

Yikes about the Zeal! Definitely a little steep there! But understandably so. As hubby was pointing out as I was talking dog food tonight...our pups eat so much better than we do. LOL He'd die if I came home with $100 box of haddock dog food. :D Not totally saying I'll never get it but I'd have to take the price tag off first. LOL Nah...I suppose its no different than the $105 11lb bag of Ziwi he picked up. (Though thank goodness the gal at the counter was raving about it so it mad him feel a bit better. ;) )

Oh & Kristi...we just gave them their first HK meal tonight around 6pm so I'm thinking I'll know how they handled it when I get home from work in the morning. LOL They sure loved it & I couldn't believe how insane they acted as it was rehydrating. :D I mean they love ZP but I don't think they have acted quite so anxious for it. LOL

Also, I brought in a sample of ZP I picked up today (they give them away for free at the store **love that place!** & also 1/4c of Force for one of the nurses at work who I turned onto Chi's. (She has two 1yo boys) I've been trying to help her for ages in the nutrition dept because her dogs are so picky. When she said the other day she was feeding Beneful my reaction was one I had to appologize for. I dunno what's wrong with me. I'm such a quiet/shy person & I told her the food she was feeding was "SO bad!"! :eek: Anyway, I emailed apologizing to her & explaining foods, etc & suggesting both ZP & HK & told her I'd bring in samples for her pups to try. I think as long as her Chi's like it she'll be getting some HK. It was so funny...all the Nurses & CNA's tonight at shift change were chatting dog food. Haha :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
The gal I work with feeds her dog utter crap lol. I've posted about it before, trying to figure out how to gently tell her. She always talks about how sad she'll be when her dog gets sick/dies. Its breath smells like stinky dead fish, and its coat is in total disrepair...and yeah...she just doesn't seem to get that feeding a better food might help him! I've tried so many times to explain to her why the food she feeds is crap (ironically...Beneful) and she just says "oh but its healthy, it says healthful right on the bag!!!). Funny thing is she has to read labels as her dog is allergic to chicken ... gosh, I would think that would make something dawn on her...but nope! Anyway, I've given up on her. I sent her a thing on THK when I started my dogs on it and she was like "oh, that's nice".

I'm so glad yours seem to like THK -- I definitely like it a lot! Hopefully your guy's tummies do OK! We noticed with our older 3 slightly softer poos the first 2 days, but w/ Bryco he had instant perfect poos lol. So you never know. Hopefully it can defray the cost of Ziwi too -- I'm not sure, but I do think its a bit cheaper! Especially the Keen, but I understand you holding off on that one which is of course fine :) Haha personally *I* just like the way it smells. Num num num.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, well I tried selling her on EVO a while back & you see where that went. :roll: Why do people think Beneful is so wonderful? Must have a pretty bag with all sorts of veggies on it & such. LOL This nurse is SO health conscious herself so I know she wants the best for her pups. I also explained in my email how dog food companies can out anything on a bag...doesn't mean its true! Hopefully her boys like the sample & she goes for it. Too bad your friend doesn't get it. Especially after seeing how healthy your dogs look!

OMG the nasty fishy breath *gag*. I've smelled so many dogs who's breath is like that. All because of build up on their teeth from poor quality kibble! Ewwww....

Well shoot - I'll probably go home to 3 diarrhea filled crates in the morning. LOL Ah well, as long as Mari is ok...she's the worst when she gets the runs as you can imagine! Her poor pretty long pants get right in the way! I'll just stick it out & will be able to leave the 3 pups out of the crate the next few night since I'm off so if they need to potty - they can get there! I'll update though tomorrow when I know where they stand. ;)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Thanks for that! It's very helpful! I was going nuts flipping back & forth through pages trying to compare the different formula's. I knew the Keen had Oats in it - but I've heard so many people rave about it & how well their dogs liked it. And the price was quite appealing. I did end up getting a 10lb box of Force though. I REALLY don't want to add grains if I don't have to. We'll see how long this box lasts before determining how it effects price. I HATE basing what I feed my dogs on price but with six I sort of have to to an extent. UGH.

Plus I knew they liked Force since I got a sample a few weeks ago & they went nuts over it. And OMG, didn't they go nuts when I fed it tonight! I hope we don't have any diarrhea...I'm too impatient to mix. LOL
I'm glad they liked the Force so much. I was too impatient to mix too, but neither of mine had any issues at all. Hopefully it'll be the same for yours. :) I thought they might possibly have loose stools, but they didn't. I feed 1/8 cup for breakfast and dinner. Both of mine are about 5 lbs, Roo's a little under, and Pip a little over.

I think the Embark seems great too, but my Roo is fussy with it, Pip loves it, but Pip loves pretty much anything. lol. He does like the Force more though.

One thing about the Keen is it does seem to hydrate up double what you put in. I guess due to the oats? It gets creamy and seems to expand a bit, so you technically get a fuller bowl of food with the same 1/8 measurement as compared to Force or Embark.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Well, no diarrhea or soft poos for any of the MChi's! :D Their poos were basically normal. Maybe a bit darker than usual but nice & firm & relatively small. They haven't been as small as they were on prey model raw but I guess that's to be expected. And they certainly don't turn white as quick either which must be lack of bone. Ah well - I am definitely happy with their feeding regimine & am glad I decided to give the HK a go. I feel like they're a bit more satisfied I guess? Maybe my imagination I guess. LOL

Yeah, I bet the Keen swells more because of the oats. Still not sure I'll give the Keen a try because of the grains. I hate to start if I don't have to. I'll have to play it by ear. I'd love to try the Embark too. My crew is pretty much like Pip as far as not being picky with food. LOL

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yay for no soft poos! I think they will definitely have slightly larger poos on THK, as its got some veggies in there and stuff, but for the most part, they seem to be in a form that the body can get nutrients from. I know veggies and fruits aren't necessarily ideal but I do believe the longer I feed THK it IS superior to even the highest grade kibble, because it just seems better digested, their poos don't wreak like they did on kibble, etc. and their coats have been softer since we started THK for sure! :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yes, since they're basically mushed they do get the nutrients from the fruits & veggies so that's definitely good. Even when I was feeding prey model I'd give the pups pureed veggies now & again so I guess it's not much different except they're getting it more often. I agree though in THK is superior to any kibble. Kibble down right scares the crap outta me to be honest. LOL I know there are premium foods that aren't so bad but I truely believe that some kibble is the reason why dogs get so ill at times with diseases, cancers, etc as well as the cause of most allergies & skin/fur problems. And teeth problems...but we both know that. But the processing that kibble goes through is what scares me. I guess it's the same idea as the junky processed foods for human consumption. I've never been a health nut but I'm so much more conscious about what I buy. We do still get the occasional processed junk food but for the most part I try to get organic/more natural foods. You just never know what goes on in those processing plants no matter it be dog or human food!

Ok, so I'm hoping to goodness this is a fluke thing. But Marley came up to me a bit ago & gave me a nice kiss right on the lips & I got the instant wiff of poo. I washed his paws & his bum (which he must have had a soft poo by the looks) & I could still smell it. Oh for the love of god he had it crammed all through his front TEETH! He has never been a poo eater. But he has been into sticks big time the past few days & I'm hoping he mistakingly grabbed a turd instead of a stick. LOL The alternative....he loved THK so much he's trying to utilize the waste of it as well. I'm seriously hoping not though - I'd just DIE! I did think of you & Bryco though when I realized it since B has shown an interested in his "left overs". LOL

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Hahaha Heather! It may take your doggies systems a few meals to fully make use of the ingredients in the food ?? I don't really know, but EEP bad Marley!! Bryco lately has been picking up poos and trotting around with them. I could *kill* him when he does this, but maybe Marley was gettin' extra full?? ewwww.

Edited to add...ugh GROSS! None of my others have shown any interest whatsoever, maybe its just a yongest boy thing? *GAG*

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Oh yeah, i forgot...when we first got B he was VERY interested in his poos (he was on Eukanuba) and was intolerant of the cooked chicken in the food...anyway, I kind of am assuming once a poo eater always a poo eater? JK lol. But he's not eating it now that I know of?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Maybe...maybe they're making sure they stay center of attention? LOL And yes, I thought maybe it was just the new ingredients passing through w/o digesting enough. Sort of like when they first start raw. Takes their systems a bit to learn to process the new food. So maybe it's the same sort of deal with the added fruits & veggies & in the mean time they're coming out tasting pretty appetizing? I haven't seen or smelt any more crappy breath tonight though. So I'm hoping where it was just stuck in his front teeth he had a doggy brain fart & thought it was a stick. LOL Time will tell!

LOL - I don't think once a poo eater always a poo eater. Mari did that as a pup when she was crated at night. Pooped & ate it. **GAG** As soon as we left her out of the crate at night she was fine. So hopefully B just has a bad habit going on there. Hopefully those poops become boring "old news" to him soon!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts