Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Honey is now definitely in season. There have been a couple of occasions the last few months where I didn't know if she was or not, but I know she is for sure now - swelling, bleeding etc..
She is 9 months old, bless her, and has been a lot more cuddly the past week or so. She went right off her raw food a few days ago, and is still refusing to eat it! :( but she seems to be mad for all other food!
I've still been taking her out for walks, with a harness she cant get out of and on a short lead whilst avoiding other dogs! But she seems very skittish on the lead, trying to turn back and just generally not very interested :( will she be like this all through her season? As she normally loves her walks :(
BTW, her spay is booked in for 3 months time. My personal preference was for her to get spayed after her first heat, but don't worry - she is definitely getting spayed, no pups!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Dottie is on heat at the moment as well,the only thing i notice is she sleeps more apart from that nothing.Just watch when you take her out dogs will be jumping those fences or sitting outside your front door

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michele, i've took her for a little walk this evening and she was a little better - seemed like she actually wanted to walk! And she hasnt stopped playing since we've been back! x

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
It must be a heat thing,Dottie is mad and won't stop beating poor Lily up usually she sleeps so much,CAN'T COPE (LOL)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I always say they don't call them bitches for nothing! I also agree that if you can be responsible waiting to spay or neuter until around 10 months is without a doubt healthiest for the dog...but some people can't be trusted ha-ha-ha. Anyway, the weird off behavior is normal. Some dogs get really sassy and a little aggressive. Others get shy, weird and withdrawn, during their heats. It seems like they either go to an extreme of their normal personality or an extreme from their normal personality. Fortunately it really only lasts about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bailey is also in heat! It should however almost be over and she is being spayed on the 20th. She is very very skittish and withdrawn. I can not wait for this to be over

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hiya everyone ive got a little girl maisy-mae she is only 13 wks old at the moment so hopefully she wont be in season for a couple of months yet but is there any warning signs i should look out for when she is coming onto her first heat? And is there anything i need to have whilst shes in season? What do people think about the pants you can get for them? I also have a little boy aswell he is 17 wks and im thinking i need to send him for a little holiday to my sisters when maisy comes into season? Would this be the best thing to do for both of them? he really loves my sister and is totally comftable with her so he will love it at hers and i will be visiting him every day (probally many times a day as its only round the corner) while hes there! Im just worried as hes a little to young to be nutered yet and its going to be sooooo dangerous if she was to get pregnant i wouldnt be able to forgive myself if anything happened! Any advice you could help me with i will be greatful =) thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Karen, I had a few instances where i thought Honey was coming into season - her bits had swelled up quite a bit and she was cleaning herself a lot more. This went on for a couple of months, so i was never sure! Then finally, she started bleeding and her bits swelled up huge! She started acting strangely and got very cuddly, then withdrawn! PMT or what! :)
I havent bothered with the pants - im only letting her have 1 season, and with a little Chi, there wont be that much blood - she cleans herself very well, and i have only noticed a couple of spots of blood on the floor, that have been cleaned up with no problems.
Yes, the best thing for everybody would be for your boy to go to your sisters! Thats so sensible - great stuff :) Make sure he spends a good few weeks there, then your fur-babies can go back to playing together with no worries! :)
Will you be having them spayed/neutered when they are old enough? x

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks so much your advice it has really put my mind at rest! At least i know if she acts like you discribe swelling etc then i know it might be aproching! So i can prepare! My sister cant wait to have him stop at hers! He will be spoilt rotten!! Yes im going to definatly get him done as soon as he is old enough because he can be very frisky especially at night! Im not sure about maisy yet Odviously ive got to do tons of research before coming to a final desision but not sure wether to have her done or not just yet! But whatever i decide i will look into it as much as i possible but if i get mario done asap it will give me abit of time to decide what to do!

This forum is great for advice i dont know what i would do without it now =)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All Chi's are different, it might be that your Maisy shows no signs. But we get to know our little furbabies inside out, so we might realise they are acting a bit different on occasion. Im just glad Honey's signs were obvious!
Ha oh bless, my sister has Honey for me a couple of times a week - i think she secretly wants to steal her! :)
I looked through a ton of threads on here about the pro's and con's of spaying Honey - it helped me reach my decision of getting her spayed. She is booked in for 3 months time, so she definatly wont be in season again then. I'm so nervous already, my little baby girl!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts