1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my youngest shes 6 always makes a mess when shes eating something
and she drops crumbs on the carpet so when honey comes in sitting room
she picks it all up,lol
i got the fright of my life last night as honey had picked up something from the floor must have been a piece of thread i knew it wasnt something big as i always check the floor afore i let her in
well later on she was trying to throw up i checked in her mouth an nowt was there and she wasnt making any choking noises an her breathing was normal in fact she ran around sofa few times,so i think whatever she had in her mouth she swallowed it.oh she was also outside for 20mins aforehand
has any of your chis swallowed something they shouldnt have?and how do you cope when taking your chis outside do they pick up stones an drop them or swallow them?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo knows when I say "NO" - he backs away. Otherwise pry their mouths open and TRY to get in there. Obdience class calls it "drop it" I just use NO!
At any rate try to train your pup with something like a ball or crumpled up piece of paper. Then when something bad happens hopefully :roll: when you say drop it they will spit it out. I am sure others will come along and advise. :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Oh yes!

I use the "Leave it" command.
When I just had Sandy she was always picking up stuff outside. Mostly pieces of sticks and toad stools. She has learned that if she doesn't drop whatever it is I will pry open her mouth and take it. LOL And she doesn't want that!
Koke is not quite as bad, and Sandy has gotten better, not picking us as much junk anymore. But I watch them like a hawk, because I don't want them getting sick.
I saw on Emergency Vets one time a dog was eating rocks and had to be operated on to remove them. The vet said most dogs don't eat the rocks, but usually the ones that do continue to do it so you must remove all the rocks from your yard.

I walk mine around the yard with their leashes on because they can fit through the slats in the fence. It also makes it easier for me to watch what they are getting into.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im still trying to teach honey to drop things,sometimes she runs off at speed an ive got a hell of a job catching her

·
Registered
39 Posts
babyjane1968 said:
im still trying to teach honey to drop things,sometimes she runs off at speed an ive got a hell of a job catching her
lol. i have to do the same thing with bella! a friend of mine told me chihuahua's were used in mexico to raom the streets and pick up trash..i believe this because bella will walk around with her nose draggind the carpet to try to eat anything she comes across. she'll run and hide under the bed if i catch her doing this and say no. a few days ago she came to me and started hacking and coughing and then threw up, i looked at it to see what it was and in the midst of hair i found the nose to one of my stuffed animals! so be very careful of this. i make sure her toys have no dangerous pieces but she usually never messes with mine. hopefully she learned her lesson on that one...probably not :wink:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
We call Auggie Hoover a lot. I have to watch him every minute outside because he is always trying to pick up something he shouldn't. I am still working on leave it. It works some of the time but not all. :roll:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you would think a dogs bed is safe when you buy it out of the petshop
thats where i got honeys bed,its got this fake teddy fur on inside of it
an yesterday i went to wash it an noticed some of the fur on her baby blanket
she must have been pulling bits off with her mouth her tummy will end up with fur balls if she aint carefull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts