Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like to know how your chis react to the hoover? Rocky seemed to be fine as long as me and my partner are home. But often, my partner is gone, while I hoover, and Rocky seems increasingly stressed out. He seems to want security from me, as he comes running immediately when I hunker down. And while I am hoovering, Rocky keeps going from one side to another, to be as close as possible to me, but runs away as soon as the hoover moves. I feel so sorry for him, as I feel that I should give him the security he needs, but obviously I have to hoover.

How are your Chis reacting when you hoover? And what do you think I should do? I feel really bad for Rocky, as he looks for support and I am not giving it to him or rather cant in that situation :(

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I always make a game out of it. Act like I'm chasing her with it while saying, "I'm going to get you." Sounds like you might try to hold him while you Hoover all the while talking to him happily to show it's not a threat.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I would not "chase him" with the hoover, as he does not see it as playing. He does not even want to come close to it, and I dont wanna force him to. I talk calmly to him when I hoover, but try not to confirm his fear. I dont want him to love the hoover ;) but I at least want him to be able to lay relaxed on the sofa while I hoover, without him running back and forth and trying to seek for support, I cant give him.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocky luckily doesnt attack the hoover. But he seems very distressed about it :(. Once I'm done he will even come closer, but still keep a distance. Do you think it might be the noise that he doesnt like?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have dogs that are afraid of the vacuum and others that ignore it. I just shrug and think 'tough, my rugs are dirty, get over it' and do my housework. lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe I should do that too and just ignore him when he is trying to get attention. Maybe then he will realize that I am not afraid, so he shouldnt be afraid. I just feel soo sorry for him. But guess he has to get over it

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Yeah, I think that is the best bet. Your making a fuss, even a quiet fuss, so he's thinking something is wrong, he should be scared. Mine that are scared or nervous usually go into another room when I take out the vacuum, but it sounds like he doesn't want to leave you. I think with repitition, he will get used to it. We figure some dogs think the noise is the machine growling at them. I had a Basenji growing up that would attack it everytime my mom vacuumed. But, then, Jodi was a bit of a strange dog, anyway.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The weird thing is that he seemed to be fine until my partner started working (was a student previously). So now I am alone with him while hoovering, and now he seems stressed out.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My 2 are very scared of the hoover too
They hide under the couch but as soon as it goes away, they come back out :)
I guess they just have to live with it

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Mine just think it's a game. They get all excited and start attacking lol! It's so bad that after they've had their fun for a few minutes, I have to crate them both to get any work done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts