Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my little Dixie over to a neighbors yard today on her leash when another lady and her dog stopped by. I haven't socialized Dixie with any other dogs except my daughters who I know is up to date on vacs. Dixie and this other dog took a quick sniff at each other thru the fence. Don't think any physical contact was made as Dixie was afraid, I snatched her up quickly. Then the lady informed me her dog had been coughing and had dark, loose stools. Not what I wanted to hear. Dixie has just started her shots with a distemper only.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh, that's scary. I had a close call with Kira when she only had her first set of shots, all was well though.
Will keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Dixie has had distemper only? Not the combination shot that includes parvo? If so, I'd make an appointment to get the parvo vaccine started. If she HAS had the combination shot that includes parvo and distemper, she should be fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this ladies family keeps her dog up to
date on his shots. He has a collar around his neck and does pull when she walks him. Could be one reason for the coughing. But for her to tell me he maybe sick after the dogs made contact was just wrong.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree that was very irresponsible of her! I'd be mad too. I hope that Dixie doesn't contract any illnesses. I bet she'll be just fine. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked my receipt. It said she had her DA2PP which does include parvo. He just told me distemper which I thought was odd too. But not the DHLPP which I've always given my dogs in the past.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If my dog had dark, loose stools, he or she would be home on a diet of boiled chicken and rice, not taking him or her around to other people's yards. Hope your baby will be fine.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I just checked my receipt. It said she had her DA2PP which does include parvo. He just told me distemper which I thought was odd too. But not the DHLPP which I've always given my dogs in the past.
The shot Dixie received should protect her. The L that was omitted from her vaccine was Lepto. That is awesome! Lepto causes a ton of problems. It is not necessary unless your dog is drinking contaminated water or around lots of wild animal droppings, such as foxes (which can carry it). Sounds like your vet is on the ball. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Don't know where she got the giardia from.
Giardia is acquired by drinking contaminated water. Perhaps this happened at the breeder before you got her?

Here's a good article to bookmark about it -

Giardia In Dogs - What You Need To Know

I would assume the vet has her on flagyl.

The giardia cysts can sit in the intestines until times of stress (like moving to a new home).

The problem with giardia is that it can be zoonotic. That means that it can be spread to people. So be very careful when you clean up after her and that you wash your hands thoroughly after playing with her. Giardia in humans causes horrible stomach cramping and watery diarrhea and can be a pain to get rid of.

·
Registered
477 Posts
sick

If my dog had dark, loose stools, he or she would be home on a diet of boiled chicken and rice, not taking him or her around to other people's yards. Hope your baby will be fine.
Yes, that's what I'd be doing, too. How irresponsible to take a dog that could be sick into other people's yards and let it meet other dogs. I think your baby will be fine.

Jeanette

1 - 13 of 13 Posts