Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bitsy will be a year old this month. I know chi's are probably known for begging and being picky eaters but I'm concerned about her. It took us a couple of months to find food that would not make her sick, and also, food that she would eat. She really enjoyed the most recent food & she has not been getting sick. Problem is, she seems to starve herself in hopes that we will give her food from our plates. Our family has agreed not to feed her anything but her own food. She watches us eat, every bite from hand to mouth waiting for a crumb to fall, she shakes and stares. Then when she gets hungry enough, she will fight with her food for about 5 minutes throwing it, growling and barking at it, jumping towards it and back repeatedly and pretty much forces herself to eat it. I feel like from the minute she wakes up til she goes to sleep she is just waiting for us to feed her anything that isn't her own food. Please help :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tito does the "fighting" with his food thing too... But he always eats it and never seems like he i forcing himself he is only playing with it..

As far as he starving herself she will eat when she is hungry and maybe try putting her in a defferent room than where your family is eating if it is causing her that much stress.. :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Hmm, both of my chis are always starving and wolf their food down and anything else that's not nailed down. lol
I havent' had a problem with either of them not liking their food.
Maybe she really doesn't "like" her food. Idk!! Are you feeding dry kibble? What does she eat and how much ea. day is she eating?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I do give her dry kibble, she only eats about 1/4 of a cup a day. I have stayed with this food because before we started her on it she was not eating at all and throwing up. She is only about 3 pounds.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
When you have a chance, try to read nutritional threads on here about better quality foods. The better quality of food you give her, the easier it will be to get her to eat it and be satisfied. I know the better quality of foods are more costly, but they're actually cheaper in the long run, as they don't require as much and they're healthier and satisfied. I say this with experience thanks to this forum!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You sound really distraught! I understand your concern but please...know she will not starve herself! I'm simply going to recommend to stop feeling sorry for her. A lot of times we create the anxiety they show as they tend to act how we're feeling. We pay a price when we drop crumbs and/or knowingly feed table scarps. You know know what the price of that is & it's simple to fix. Ignore her while you're eating. If you have a hard time with this...put her in another room, crate or what not & IGNORE. No eye contact, no reactions to her shaking/whining/etc. It is your food & your food only--you acting like it is will be passed on to her even if it takes some time. Go about your eating routine with a no nonsense attitude. It is what it is...don't let her make it otherwise.

Once she realizes she will not get anything from you & you don't care LOL...she will start to eat her food easier. If she has to fight with it so be it.

I'm curious as to what she is eating as well. Some foods that are known to entice dogs are ZiwiPeak, Honest Kitchen or Stella & Chewy's. All come in sample packs for you to try out...and none should really cause a major tummy upset as they are super gentle on the tummy. Anyway...just a suggestion.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for your responses!!
She is eating "Nature's Recipes" and it seems to be doing ok on her tummy.
MChis, do all of the cuties pictured live with you? How adorable!! I wanted to tell you that we do all (our family) ignore her and do not give her any of our food, this is the part that worries me, even though we don't do those things she still waits as if one day we will change our minds!! Oh, and I will definitely try adding warm water :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Here are some reviews on that food.
It is NOT a good food. It rates a 2-3 stars out of 5-6 stars.
I would DEFINITELY get her on a better food VERY quickly. Try something in the 5-6 star range. Her nutrition is so important at her age. There are LOTS of buzz words now on pet foods-Nature, Natural, Healthy, etc. Even the packages show pictures of healthy food that is often NOT even in the dog food!!

Dog Food Reviews - Nature's Recipe Toy Dogs Canine Recipe - Powered by ReviewPost

Nature’s Recipe Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I would probably change her food also. Especially because of this ingredient.--->
"Animal digest is a (generic) chemically decomposed concoction of unspecified body parts… from unspecified animals. Animal digest is usually sprayed onto the surface of a dry kibble to improve its taste.
And this:---> "And lastly, this Nature’s Recipe product also contains menadione… a controversial form of vitamin K linked to liver toxicity, allergies and the abnormal break-down of red blood cells."
Those are a couple ingredients that shouldn't be in dog food. Those dog food review websites are good and a great place to start researching to find a new food. A good food doesn't have to cost a fortune, in fact some of the not so good foods are more expensive than the good ones.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I will also add that if she is not on a grain free food, I would try that. Hope had chronic colitis for the first 4 months or so that she was with us (everyone here remembers my panic, frustration and worry). Grains were what made her throw up.

Getting her off of grains and off of processed food made a world of difference for her. She will also be 1 this month!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts