Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
** I tried posting this, I don't know what happened I can't find it**

I got horrible news for my birthday today.

Some of you may know that Candy came from another country. Her sister went to Canada with my sister and Candy came to U.S to me.

Well, Last night she (my sister's dog) was mauled by a greyhound who grabbed her by her little face. I do not have much info on the extent of the injuries but I know that her jaw was broken. The owner of the greyhound claimed that her dog was sick and hadn't eaten in days.

Right now the dog is sedated and gonna go through surgery. My sister is devastated and I am soooo sad... :( She is about the same size of my dog, which is well under 2 pounds. She is 4 days shy of being 3 months old...

Please keep her in your thoughts!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
OH I am so sorry to hear this bad news! Please keep us posted, I will be thinking of you and that precious baby today.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Poor thing! And your poor sister! She must be heartbroken. I hope the gorgeous little girl pulls through, she'll be in my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Awe prayers to all of you, so terrible.
On good note love pictures of Candy. When I was pregnant 33 years ago I was going to name more daughter Candy, her last name stick, She was going to be Candy cane Stick. Well everyone didn't like it. So I didn't. She now said she would have liked it.
Here is also picture of Amberleah in my sleeper.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Oh my gosh, that poor baby.... Not only for the injuries sustained but if they greyhound was ill I hope she didn't contract anything!! Greyhounds to my knowledge aren't usually dog aggressive, who knows what was going through its head at the time to do something like that!! I think BOTH dogs should be at the vet!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody. I got more info on what happened. My sister's boyfriend was walking her On a leash and then the other dog walked by On a leash and All of the sudden grabbed the little dog by her face. My sister's bf got On top of the dog and hand-forced his mouth open as he was trying not to yank her out. That would have torn her apart.

Because of this he also got injuries in his hands as the dog didn't want to let go.

The greyhound owner seemed shocked
And extremely helpful and mortified. He took them yo yhe vet and stayed there....It seems like the dog was sick and because of this they had him on a diet.

I am glad that it wasn't my sister walking the dog as obviously he is stronger, and he is a big dude.

The dog seems to be doing alright but still sedated waiting for the surgeon. She is not hurt in Any part of her body other than her face....

Oh and BTW those pictures are my sister's dog "nana"...

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's so terrible, thank goodness her boyfriend was quick thinking & rescued her. Even more worrying that they were both on leads. I hops she makes a good recovery.

The slipper pictures are so sweet, I thought I would share a pic of poppy on my boyfriends slippers now I think I've finally worked out this photobucket app! Yes his feet are in them!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am glad the greyhound owners were concerned and cooperative. They should be paying all the bills of course. As for him being on a diet as the 'reason' he grabbed the pup... I don't buy it. Greyhounds have a VERY strong prey drive. That's what they were bred for. I'm sure he wasn't thinking he would just eat the pup as a snack because he was hungry. He was definitely going to kill it, just as he would kill a rabbit he chased down.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ahh that's right, prey drive!!! I couldn't imagine a greyhound showing that kind of 'dog aggression,' but duh; now I feel dumb. Sighthound... prey.. tiny creature.

Very good that the other owner stayed around.. that's usually not the case. I'm an addict to all those cheesy court shows, Judge Judy, People's Court, Judge Pirro etc. and 9 times outta 10 the person who's pet was the attacker is in total denial.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am glad the greyhound owners were concerned and cooperative. They should be paying all the bills of course. As for him being on a diet as the 'reason' he grabbed the pup... I don't buy it. Greyhounds have a VERY strong prey drive. That's what they were bred for. I'm sure he wasn't thinking he would just eat the pup as a snack because he was hungry. He was definitely going to kill it, just as he would kill a rabbit he chased down.
I agree! I do not believe he would actually "eat" the puppy but I think that not eating well/enough and not feeling well could have affected the dog's mood and behavior. And yes, those dogs have a strong prey drive and are very quickly with their movements because of this... :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was thinking this same thing. I had considered adopting a greyhound because they are such sweet dogs normally, but changed my mind when I researched it and found out about their strong prey drives. I was worried about my little Chippy who could be mistaken (I suppose) for a small white rabbit.

Oh, this poor poor baby! She didn't even know what hit her, probably! I will keep her in my prayers!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh no I am so sorry, what a terrible sitution. I hope everything will be OK. I am glad she is doing better. Please keep us updated on the outcome.
I totally agree with Brodysmom on this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts