Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The most common complaint people with chihuahuas both puppies and adults have is "my chihuahua will not go on their pad consistently" recently with the move and the chaos of relocating Bijoux has to become un pad trained, she will not use them at all. So I have to start for scratch so I have decided that I will post out potty pad journey for others to follow as a guide for training your chi to use those darn pads.

What you need
-potty pads
-crate (if you choose it is recommended)
-treats
-a very watchful eye

To start put your pad in an area where you are going to always keep it and only put one down. People make the mistake of putting them down Everywhere so that their chi will always have a potty place. Sounds smart but there is a catch, if you Put one in every room you then Have to train fido to go to another room to potty as you reduce the pads, which can be a back slide. If you choose to have one in your bathroom and one in your kitchen make sure that they will either always be there or be ready to put extra work in later.

Next I will not be using a crate only because bijoux crates very poorly, not only does she scream like she is being beaten -which all pups will do at first- but she gets sick, pees herself and has drawn blood trying to get out it. Thus is not safe for her to be crated she is much too scared. But as I go on I am going to let you know when a crate can be used and how to do that as well.

Your first step after you placed your pads is to confine your chi when you are not looking. This is a time when a crate would be perfect, this is also crate training. Say you have to go and have a shower and you know that of course puppy will not be watched. Give puppy a chance to go to the bathroom by placing her on the pad. Most likely all she will do is dance around, run off the pad and want to play this is 100% normal. Gently place her on the pad and say "go potty" or which ever phase you would like to use, I personally say "piddle time".

Most likely unless you are very lucky, puppy will not do anything, but if she/he does you need to see her/him doing it and praise praise praise! However you wish to reward your puppy make sure it is high value, something reserved only for pad training such as a piece of chicken or cheese is recommended. Make the most excited sounds you can and pet your chi the moment they finish and near the end. I wouldn't do it the moment they squat because they can become scared and think they may have done something wrong.

Now using our shower senario and knowing that you will be gone for 20-30 minutes put puppy in a crate that is large enough that they can stand and turn around but not so big that they could say jump and play this is to be a quiet calming area for them.

After placing your chi in the crate then go and have your shower, if she/he cries like a banshie which will likely happen you must 100% ignore it and not even enter the room your chi is in. Any attention is good attention and until they are quiet for 5 minutes do NOT let them out! If you do you are teaching them that if they throw a temper they will get out. Once you are able to let your chi out you need to watch them like a hawk because you know they didn't go in their crate thus they will need to go soon. Rule of thumb puppies need to go at least once every hour for however months old they are plus 1. ie. a 2 month old pup will have to go every 3 hours at least.

This is the bases of a crate training your puppy. I wanted to explain it so you would know what I meant by crate etc. You need to know how to do this correctly or you are going to slow down your progress.

If you have any questions on it please feel free to ask! I will now post updates on how Bijoux is fairing : D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you. What an interesting post. Potty training is always such a challenge. I liked my old dogs who knew the routine ( a chow and a pug), they usually never made a mess... I miss them....:angel12:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
This is some excellent advice!!
I also want to add as an alternative/additional tip; if you have a larger crate or playpen it can be helpful to put a pad (or in our case grass potty patch, but whatever medium you choose to use) on the opposite end. A dog has a natural aversion to soiling it's bedding; which is why like Kelsey explained in order to crate train the usual way you only want it large enough for them to turn around and lay down; as they will often use any extra space to potty if they need to go. This can also be used to your advantage; because if you make the crate big enough and clearly distinguish separate areas (the bed, toys, chews, etc. on one end; and just a potty patch or pee pad on the other) the puppy's natural instinct will be to go use whatever is opposite of the bed.
This method helps the pup develop a 'substrate preference,' where it basically will get used to peeing on that kind of surface, and will seek it out even when not in the crate.
I just wanted to add this on to Kelsey's great advice, as depending on the age of the puppy they may not be able to hold it very long in the crate; especially overnight or when the owner has to go to work. This gives the puppy a designated place to potty rather than having to soil it's bed if it simply can't hold it any longer.
Here's a pic of our setup we use for puppies; Julian has the honors of using it currently lol.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is some excellent advice!!
I also want to add as an alternative/additional tip; if you have a larger crate or playpen it can be helpful to put a pad (or in our case grass potty patch, but whatever medium you choose to use) on the opposite end. .
This is a great alternative to the crate, I think it should also be said that if your puppy is going to be alone 8+ hours during the day this is a great option. Another common one is confinement to a small room such as a bathroom with a pad. -which is currently how Bijoux is being trained-. Most people when training a pup will understand that there will be accidents during the day if they are not there to let puppy out. Older dogs 8+ months can be expected to hold it 8 hours but don't ever take this for granted.

Rule of thumb #2: If your dog has an accident there is only 1 solution roll up a newspaper really tight grip it in your hand and smack yourself on your bum. It's your fault! Your dog is learning something new if an accident happen then YOU missed the signs, YOU weren't there to let them out or YOU did not watch close enough and puppy walked off to potty. Do not EVER EVER shove you dogs nose in their mess all this teaches them is that they should hide from you when ever they have to do and they will be scared.

It has been proven time and time again dogs live in the now they don't understand consequences that occur after the deed is done. Why would you hurt your dog for no reason?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 1

Day 1

Today did not go that well. I put Bijoux potty pad in my spare room where she used to use it...and she didn't care at all. I woke up and took her to her potty pad she did nothing, let her walk around then took her back again but she didn't have to go.

So because I know she hadn't gone as she slept on the bed I watched her very closely and sure enough 15 minutes after getting up she started peeing in the living room. I clapped my hands and started saying "PAD PAD PAD" in a loud voice picked her up and walked her to her pad.

Which of course by then she had NO interest in peeing which is actually beside the point because in this case I was focused on teaching her where not to go.

While she danced around me I grabbed my handy dandy "out" spray -that's actually the brand- and cleaned and cleaned the area very throughly. This part is very important because if you leave the smell there puppy will think it's a place to potty and will always go back there.

Then it was off to school I placed her second pad in my bedroom and went off to school after giving my grandmother instructions to put her in my room...which she didn't follow so I was not surprised to know that when I came home she had gone on the carpet again.

Everyone in your household has to be on board with potty pad training, set up a routine schedule and make sure everyone is on board because if they aren't it is going to take alot longer...which I see a long haul in my future because of this...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts