Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It feels like I've been waiting forever but I'm finally bringing my pup home in two weeks! I think I can handle all the training but the thought of toilet training really overwhelms me and I'm really scared to do it wrong!

Everything I've read suggests using a crate, but if there are any other options I'd rather not have to use one!
I'm going to be home with him for the first week, then he'll be coming to work with me after that. I think I can keep on top of knowing when he's about to go, taking him out and praising him! But will that work or is there more to it?
At night I was going to let him just sleep on his bed next to my bed, but he can just get out when he wants as it's not caged in? Would it be best to use a crate or if I wake up every couple of hours in the night do you think he'll be fine with free-reign of the room? I don't mind if I have to pad train if anybody thinks that's best!

Also, would having him in my bed at night and taking him outside every couple of hours work? As I do plan on letting him sleep in my bed once he's trained anyway or would he just pee on it?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
House training is not that bad,he/she may be a good one This is how i did it,couple of pads for a while i put one near the back door i wanted her to use most of the time and i put one in the hall,don't change them every time the pup uses it as the smell makes them go back,lots of praise if he goes on the pad and a treat,every time he wakes onto the pad or every hour or so and after a feed.Then i took 1 pad away,then a couple of weeks later the other one went,so i was able to take her in the garden ,if she went were the pad used to be was out again,she was housetrained in 3 weeks.I would get a crate for when you can't watch him (safer puppies get up to mischief all the time)and at night,with a pad and water and toys.I'm sure you will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have a little girl named Chloe who will be 14 weeks old on Friday. We got her when she was 9 weeks old when we got her. She is basically potty trained on pads already. She has only had one accident in well over a week and I think that one was partially my fault. I moved her pad for a minute and she pooped where the pad was supposed to be.

What we did was we bought a playpen that babies use and we got two trays that you put the pads in. Here's a link to the ones we have.

We keep one tray in the living room and one tray in the playpen. Then we put her bed on the other side of the playpen next to her bowl. The playpen is next to our bed. That's where she sleeps at night. Now, that she's a lot better about potty training I usually start off sleeping with her and then part of the way through the night I put her in the playpen in case she needs to go potty. She usually sleeps there the rest of the night.

Here's a picture

I got to stay home with her for 3 weeks before I started my new job. So I didn't have to leave her for very long periods of time. So, when I did leave her she stayed in the playpen. When i started my new job though i didn't want to have to leave her in the tiny playpen all day since she wouldn't have room to play. We got baby gates and blocked off the kitchen. Now that's where she stays in we're gone. We put her tray, bed, bowls, and toys in there. There is a small crack on the side of our gate just because of how big the opening is to the kitchen. After a week she figured out how to escape. She did really well and didn't have an accident in the apartment. We have to block that gap now.

What I did was when she would start to potty in the wrong spot and I saw it happen, I would firmly say NO! I would pick her up and tell her bad potty. I had to be a lot more firm with her than I have in the past with training a dog. I think it just depends on the dog really. Then I would put her on the pad and say go potty over and over. I think it's easier to teach pooping in the right spot because if you catch it quick enough they still have to go where with peeing they usually are done. When she would go on the pad we acted like it was the most amazing thing in the entire world. We would say YAY! Good potty! Yay Chloe! Say potty (or whatever word you want to use) a lot during praising. Chloe is very food motivated so we give her a very small treat after she goes on the pad. That works for her, but if your puppy doesn't need a treat then I wouldn't use them if you can help it. Eventually, she caught on. Now she pretty much always uses the pad whether we're here or not. When she goes she gets really excited and starts wiggling and running over to use because she knows she's going to get a treat. The other day I didn't see her go on her pad so she barked at me and made sure I noticed.

It takes time and patience. It's so easy to get frustrated, but they will catch on even when you think they aren't going to. Good luck! Sorry this is so long!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'm all for pad training. I think it's easier and safer for Chis depending on where you live. People with larger dogs tend to put it down and say that a dog is a dog and it should only do its business outside no matter how big or small, but that truly isn't the case for Chis.

First of all, they have much smaller bladders than larger breeds, and they can't hold it that long as puppies and even as adults. You need to let them out every 30-45 minutes when they are babies if you're going to outdoor train them, and most people just can't dedicate that sort of time between work, sleep, and other life duties.

Second, there are dangers outside to your Chi. If you live in an area populated by a lot of wildlife like coyotes, hawks, foxes, etc, letting your Chi outside to potty is always a risk unless you have them leashed every time. If you live in a cold climate, Chi's can get frostbite on their paws from the cold and generally do not like the cold weather anyways, making pottying outside very difficult and unpleasant. I know some people use pads in the winter and let them go outdoors in the summer.

I started Gemma out with a big space of 3 pads all together in the living room and two pads in the bedroom in the pen she slept in. After 3.5 weeks of being with us, I would say she is 95% potty trained. She has had one accident in the past week and it was directly after she woke up, and I think she just got lost on the way to her pad. But I caught her right as she started going and brought her to her pad and she finished there as I told her to.

Gemma picked up on how to use the pads in just a few days after bringing her home. I didn't really have to do much. The first few potty dances she did, I brought her to her pad and told her to go potty, and after that she just started going there on her own. I have always and still praise the heck out of her every time she uses her pad. She loves making me happy and that seems to be enough motivation for her. I do not use treats. I always leave pee on a pad so it has the scent on it. I clean up poos immediately however because she will try to eat it if I don't. I also use pre-scented pads, which I think helped her figure out so fast that she was supposed to use them.

At night, we had her in a pen with her crate (never shut), water bowl, toys, and pads lining the rest of the pen area. She got up in the night and used her pads whenever she had to go potty. She has never had an accident in her bed. Now we let her sleep in bed with us because she has been doing so well with using the pads on her own. We have built stairs so that she can get up on the bed and she uses them to get down to use her pad in the bedroom if neither of us wakes up first to put her down.

If you don't mind pads, I honestly say go for them. I tried outdoor training an 8-week-old Chi in the winter once and it was hell. Pads are just so much easier for me. I would never try to do outdoor training again. I would only recommend outdoor training if you have a fenced in yard with little surrounding wildlife that they can have 24/7 access to all day long.

These are just my personal opinions. I'm sure others who have outdoor trained their Chis will give you their opinion and advice on how to go about it. I personally prefer pads!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts