Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am stumped. How do you house train a blind old dog? Would pee pads be the way to go? My peke was blind, but she went blind at 9 and already was house trained. I know he may just need to settle in a bit, but he is peeing everywhere. If I take him out, he pees outside, but if I don't, he just pees. He is not fixed, either. He both lifts his leg and squats. Thank goodness I have tile in here. :) Crating is not an option, he totally freaks out in the crate. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Is his sense of smell ok do you know? as pee pads could work for you.. but with the other dogs if its going to make it harder you could just start like he's a puppy.. but put something near the back door that makes a noise so he can knock it or something so you know he needs to go out?? But it will be a case of taking him out every couple of hours and getting him to knock it as he goes out so he associates the noise with going to the loo?

I have so much respect for you!! You've become a Chi rescue and its fab

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thank you for taking on this baby. They all need help, but these special needs ones are especially difficult to get into foster care and new homes. Bless you! How old is this boy?

For me, I would confine him to a small area, like a bathroom, with a potty pad. Put a half filled soda bottle on it for him to lift on. When you are with him and see that he needs to go, put him on the pad. When he has accidents, if you can soak of up of the urine with the pad, great. If not, use papertowels to start with and put the papertowels on the pad near the bottle. The smell will attrack him back to the pad when he needs to go in the future. Constantly clean up every "accident" ASAP. Neutering will help with the marking issue but the housetraining is gonna be just like he's a puppy, with alterations for his unique needs due to crating anxiety and blindness. Once he's clean in the bathroom, give him a larger gated off area. Once he's clean there, he can have more freedom, until he has earned the run of the house. It's going to be a long process.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
God bless you for taking this little old man into your home :)
The smallest things you do for him--even potty training--will probably
be more than he has experienced before...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am thinking a pen near me as he freaks if he is alone, he gets scared and a bit disoriented. I love he idea of a soda bottle for him to pee on. Just a few minutes ago, he went out on his own and peed...on the door jam. Half the pee ended up in the house. lol Oh well, at least he was trying.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am thinking a pen near me as he freaks if he is alone, he gets scared and a bit disoriented. I love he idea of a soda bottle for him to pee on. Just a few minutes ago, he went out on his own and peed...on the door jam. Half the pee ended up in the house. lol Oh well, at least he was trying.
Ah bless him he must be so disorientated its really pulling on my heart strings

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Just keep him with you at all times do not let him out of your sight.If you have to put him on a leash.And take him out every couple of hours or when he seems he needs to go out.And make a big deal over it when he uses it outside give him a treat and give him lots of love.
P.S. I am so glad you took this little guy in.Good for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts