Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm going on holidays for 3 wks to Thailand in October and I'm having a really hard time finding a place for Lola. I don't know anyone who has the time and knowledge and reponsibility to look after her and I don't want to put her in kennels. I would leave her with my mum but she's coming with us!! The only other option I can think of is a house/pet sitter although I'm worried about this option of leaving a stranger in my house with my baby!! Does anyone know how much this could cost me and have any experience of doing this? Otherwise maybe you have some other idea I haven't thought of! :? I'm so worried about this!! By the way, I live in London, UK.

Thanks so much
Love Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hiya , my mum does dogsitting sometimes she has the dog at her house (depending on the size and character of teh dog) or she stays at their house at nights and takes them out and stuff in the day. She charges £10-15 pound a day , if the dogs easy she charges less!

But thats in Dorset so im not sure if where u are may be a bit more expensive? :wave:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i actually do petsitting on the side but unfrotunatly am a LOOOONG way from london lol.
however they are a very good idea if you can find the right one.

look for a petsitter who is bonded and insured. they will need akey tpo your house so having one who is bonded and insured gives you the extra peace of mine.
the petsitter shoudlalso come to your house at least once before you go on vacation to meet your baby and get to know here with you around, they will also ask you to show there where food and everything is.

the only thing is, your probably going to pay a good amount of money for the service. and depending on what services you want will change the cost. ie if you want the sitter to just stop in twice a day feed water and walk then your lookig at their base cost however if you want 3-4+ times a day with a walk and playtime and grooming then its gonna be more.
good thing about sitters is your pet is safe and comfortable in their own home, theres no stress of being put in a kennel with lots of other barking dogs that might frighten your dog. your dog gets one on one attention in YOUR home. the petsitter will also pick up your mail/bring in any packages open and close curtains and rotate lights, water plants and anything else youd like them to do usually depending on the serivces you want.

though ill warn your looking at the same cost if not a little more than it would cost to put your baby in a kennel.
but personally i think its worth it.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
If I absolutely had to go away and leave Lily (it would need to be at gunpoint :lol: ) I'd leave her at the daycare where she goes 5 days a week. They also board dogs there on a regular basis. Can you find a kennel that's perhaps on the smallish side (so your baby doesn't get lost in the shuffle) that you feel comfortable with? Even if it's a bit pricey, you'll have the peace of mind you need in order to enjoy your holiday.

I wish you well but please remember that whatever arrangement you decide on, it will be lots harder on you than on Lola. I'm sure she'll miss you but she'll be just fine. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My parents used petsitters in the past with our family cat, P. Patches. They were a bit expensive, but P. Patches was very old and they didn't feel safe leaving her in a kennel situation.

Like Foxy's mum said, find someone that is both bonded and insured. The petsitter will come to your house prior to you leaving and find out where the food is and get to know your pup beforehand. It's also a time for you to evaluate the person that will be caring for your pet and (hopefully) you will feel a bit safer leaving your pet in their care.

P. Patches had a petsitter that my mother requested every time they went on vacation - he would come to the house and spend a few hours in the morning, then a few hours at night with P. Patches, even though it wasn't "required" of him. I don't know how they work it with a dog, since they need to be taken out every few hours - but it worked out really well with our cat.

I'd say that's the next best thing to leaving your pet with family or friends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts