Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 15 week old long haired chihuahua, Maxwell. He is a great puppy, and has been doing pretty well with everything. He was crate and potty pad trained when we got him, and does both of those things almost perfectly.

During the day, while we are at work we leave him with a potty pad, and he uses it like he is supposed to, but once we get home from work we take the potty pad away since we are there to take him outside. We eventually want to be able to phase out the potty pads all together. He sleeps through the night and doesn't need a pad.

He uses his pads like he's supposed to in the day, and uses the bathroom outside when we take him out when we are home, but the problem is, if he is loose in the house and needs to go and we don't catch him in time, he doesn't even hesitate to go on the floor (in any location, really).

I guess my question is, are the puppy pads confusing him in thinking that he can go in the house, or do you think he is just not quite trained yet. What can we do about this to turn it around and correct it before it is too late?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello, My suggestion would be to leave a potty pad down even when you are home, and take him outside when you see he needs to go out. that way if he has to go while in house and your not catching him he can go on pad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but if I leave a pad down when I am home he will go straight to use that rather than ever learning to give me a signal and hold it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We only use pads, so I'm not much help. But I've heard that it is really difficult to switch from pads to going outside. Chloe is trained to use the pads, and I can't even get her to go outside while we're walking because she thinks she's not supposed to. Hopefully someone has a good answer because it's nice to be able to do both.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Our vet warned us about pads because they usually can't tell whether they are on a pee pad or a blanket. It all feels the same to the dogs. My advice would be to just take him out more often. The idea is to get him used to your schedule. After awhile he will realize that there are certain times to go out and figure out how to tell you themselves

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
He probably just needs to go outside more often. 15 week old puppies can't hold it for very long during the day.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Our vet warned us about pads because they usually can't tell whether they are on a pee pad or a blanket. It all feels the same to the dogs. My advice would be to just take him out more often. The idea is to get him used to your schedule. After awhile he will realize that there are certain times to go out and figure out how to tell you themselves
I think that can be trained away just like going in any wrong spot. Chloe kept using the mats in our kitchen, but we treated it the same as any other accident and she has stopped using them.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby is trained to go on pads and outside. At 9 months old, he goes out 4 times a day, 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm. If he has to pee in between walks, he goes on his pad. I think you should leave the pee pads down all the time. Then regularly take him out (at least once an hour). He is very young and probably needs to go more often. You are teaching him it is okay to go on the pad sometimes and not okay at other times. That's going to confuse him. Toby knows that he can go on the pad whenever he wants, but when I take him out he goes outside. It is more about you getting into a more frequent routine than him needing to have the pads removed.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I always suggest that if you're going to use pads at all, you should intend to use them forever. Gemma is totally pad trained, but she always potties outside when we go for walks, too. She just automatically knew it was okay to potty outside. Must have been from all the scents from other dogs. When she's inside, she will not go anywhere else in the house but on her two designated pads. We don't have any rugs down right now, but I plan to introduce them soon and see what she does to them. She was peeing on them at first so I had to take them all up. But now I would say she is 99% pad trained now and is almost 5 months old. She has not had a pee accident in over a month. She had one poop accident within this past month, but it was when she ran out on to the balcony so maybe she assumed she was outside, lol.

My advice to you would be to either plan on leaving a pad down in the house at all times, or take him outside at least once every hour when you are home to make sure that he doesn't have an accident inside. Watch him 100% of the time when you are home and he is not confined to a room with a pad or crated. It literally only takes three seconds of taking your eyes off of him for him to run off and have an accident somewhere. Believe me, I know! It happened many times in the past with Gemma!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I actually went from having a pad down for my dogs first year of life, to completely pottying outside when I moved. They transitioned fine, but I think it was from taking away the pads completely. I wouldn't put a pad down during one part of the day and then take it away- that could be really confusing to them

·
Banned
248 Posts
I agree with the others that if you don't plan to use pads you are just going to have to be extra vigilant. I have two Chis and a Chi mix and as of right now I don't use pads at all. But I work from home and am able to take out my adult Chi girls 4-5 times a day to "potty".

My new 6 month old I take out every hour or every other hour depending on if she has eaten, has been playing, or napping. She had an accident this morning because I didn't take her straight outside. But that was her first accident since I got her a couple days ago.

My adult Chi OCCASIONALLY have an accident if I do leave the house to go to the grocery store ect. But only if I havent got them to potty right before I leave. I also don't crate my adult Chis when I leave but I bet if I did that would prevent the accidents when I am not home.

I have considered putting down pads for when I am not home but I am kinda on the fence. I feel like when winter hits (unless its a mild one like this year where we had no snow). I may NEED to use pads "just in case".

But if I were you I would just go back to potty training 101. Outside every 30/40 minutes. And any time you have to question wether you think he is going have an accident, assume he has to go out. Better safe than sorry. Yes it's time consuming, yes it's frustrating, but it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts