Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well we've had bentley and oliver for around a month now, and they arent getting much better, Bentley is better at it though, he'll go when we take him out and doesnt really go on the floor/bed. but oliver is alittle different, he usually wont poo except for in the morning, and he will go inside >.>
Is it easier to potty pad train them or is it too late for that? Im at my witts end right now!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
No I think it's easier to train them to go outside.

Where did they come from?? By you saying they go in bed are the crated?? If so are they together?? Boty mine are crate trained and I've had no problems potty training them we've had few accidents!!

They only have enough room to stand up and turn around in no more or they will find somewhere to go.

First thing about 6 -6.30 I get up and carry them out to the garden and stay with them i don't bring them in til they've gone after a while they go quickly!! They then go back in their crates til I get up at 7.30 again back out for a wee then they come into the bathroom with me whilst I get showered and dressed and get my daughter ready!! Then back out to the loo!

They are then fed after us in their crates and stay in there quietly for anything from 5-30 mins and out to the loo in that time we've got shoes on hair brushed then back in crates whilst I do the school run for 20 mins and when I get back back out to the loo!!

They then get taken out every hour until you know they will ask or let them selves out

If they don't go they go in their crates for 10 mins and back outside!!

From about 5 months old my older one was not crated other than at night!! My baby who is now 4 months old has run of the house if I'm out for less than an our over an hours she's crated but I'm never out for more than 2!!

You need a schedule and stick to it if they pad or circle put them outside don't let them in til they have been or crate for 10 mins and back out!! Throw a party when they go in the right place if u catch them going in the wrong place make a noise and back outside don't tell them off for not going in the right place it's your fault not their until they are reliable and know it's down to you

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Dogs generally have to go potty immediately after waking up, eating, playing etc. So those are the best times to take them outside. Zoey was extremely difficult to house train and still to this day if I don't keep my bathroom doors shut she will pee on the rugs. I am training a 5 month old min pin right now, what I do is she is 'tethered' (with a leash)to either myself or a 'station' that way she isn't wandering around peeing/pooping wherever she pleases. When she does go potty on a pad (I live in Utah where winters can be dreadful so I chose to potty pad train), she gets tons of praise and treats.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I too am finding it hard with Red, he stayed clean last night and he is learning to go outsided now for poops but he spoilt himself today, pee'd in the conservatory and pooped behind the sofa and the conservatory door was wide open.

He does know to go outside so I was disappointed to see his accidents today.. but its slowly getting better. Time and patience

Deme x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts