Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be picking my new baby up in about a week and a half and I want everything to be ready for her when she gets here. Please help me and let me know what I need to do and what to expect!

I'd like to have her trained to use the bathroom in the house, on pee-pads or newspapers. My fiance has just ordered a WizDog for his Mini Dachshund and I'm wondering if maybe I should get her something like that. Should I let her roam the house while I'm at work or buy a crate to keep her in?

Really, any advice at all and about anything would be of great help to me!

·
Registered
889 Posts
we used pee pads-- and bought a pee pad holder so that zoey wouldn't tear them up. after a while we started using a litter box as a potty pad holder so that she has to literally jump in to use the bathroom. that helped with her not going close to the edges and it spilling on the floor. that wizdog looks fabulous. but potty pads have some sort of smell on them that attracts puppies to go on them and i dont know that the wizdog does.

i definitely would NOT let her roam the house when you leave.. there are too many things that she can get into when you aren't around. buy a crate or an xpen.

to make your puppy feel more secure at home you may want to get a ticking clock to put near its crate at night. i've also heard that DAP diffusers work. we tried it with zoey but didn't really notice a huge difference.

have fun with your baby and if you have other questions, just ask! :wave:

·
Registered
374 Posts
As colleen13 said, pee pads are definitely the way to go. Newspapers aren't very good at all, as they don't have the plastic lining on the bottom that pee pads do, which allow them to absorb more and prevent leaking on the floor. Pee pad holders are a must as well, as your chi probably will want to try to chew or rip up the pads (like mine did at first).

Also, I'd say no to letting her roam the house freely. There is always the chance that they might eat something they are not supposed to, but I don't think too much freedom at first is a good thing.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Another pee pee pad advocate here! We use them regularly. I also have a holder for ours. keeps it in place and they are less likely to tear at it or run off with it. LOL

Definitely crate her when you aren't home. Aside from having accidents on the floor, there is just so much they can get into. Too likely that they could get hurt on something.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Put in your head the idea that they are JUST LIKE A BABY....and you'll do fine...

you wouldn't leave a walking toddler free roam of the house because they can pick up anything and everything and they do! Same with puppies, babies take everything to their mouth, so do puppies....they go everywhere, eat anything...chew....pee/poop everywhere,,,LOL

and yes just like a baby expect to wake up about 3 times during the night for pee/poop when you crate train... :D

Pee Pee pads are great for when you can't watch them...I personally didn't use them with Gizmo as I don't work and was able to take him out ALL THE TIME....man was that work...LOL....
But with my other dog, he was pee pee pad trained...they both got the "outside" idea pretty quickly...the only plus with Gizmo was no pad mess...but I was/am literally his "bathroom monitor" for the last 5 months...LOL

I so recommend getting a chihuahua book...."chihuahua for dummies" at PetCo, PetSmart, and most major book stores...most questions are answered there, from what to expect the first night etc.....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The book is an excellent idea - especially if this is your first chi. It will answer almost any question, and is filled with great info.

There is also a lot of good info on this site. You can do a search for various topics.

If you can't be home with your puppy during the day, then a pen or crate is a must, or you can confine them to a gated area such as kitchen or bathroom. However, I recommend a crate or pen when they are very small.

I used the pee pads in the beginning, and then started taking Jasmine outside when she was about 4 months old. Now, she will go outside during the day or when I am home, and will use the pads at night or when I am gone. The pee pads are much better than newspaper.

But whatever method you decide to use for housebreaking, remember it will take time and patience. I know we say that a lot, but I don't think you can stress it enough. They are just babies when you bring them home and they are going to have accidents and get into things they shouldn't. It is up to you as an adult to teach them and monitor them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts