Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing everything I have read. I feed Paco the same time every day - once in the morning and once at night. I take him out after eating, playing, napping and also every two hours. I give him a treat when he goes potty outside. I never scold him for going inside but I immediately take him outside so he will know what I wanted him to do.

About 90% of the time he goes inside. He steps on a tap bell and rings it every time we go out. (I have to ask him to ring it but I am hoping that someday he will put the two together.)

He is so smart and learns so quickly that I have to think he understands what I want but hasn't figured out how to tell in advance. He seldom asks to go out but goes when I take him.

Am I missing something? Will this get better if I keep doing the same things? Please, please tell me it will...lol.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Are you cleaning the spots that he has had accidents with an enzymatic cleaner in order to make sure he can't scent it?

Routine helps a lot and it sounds like you have that down.

Watching him like a hawk and catching him before or during and getting him outside is important. If needed you can tie him to you so that you can make sure you know where he is and can take him outside quickly.

When I was housebreaking Jaxx it seemed like he was never going to get it but he did. I was so happy that I felt like celebrating one day after wondering if he was ever going to get it he jumped up on the back of our loveseat and barked to go outside (I trained him to get up there without knowing it by putting him there every time I took him out before we went and when we came back inside to take care of his harness and leash.)

Good luck! Soon house training will be a distant memory.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I do also clean with Nature's Miracle wherever he goes.

How long did it take you to train Jaxx?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
It seemed like forever but it was probably 6 to 8 weeks. I did exactly as you did and took Jaxx out every two hours, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and after meals and play times. There is still times during the day that he wants to go out every 2 hours but he is even getting better at that.
I just celebrated a big achievement on Easter because he was home alone in the living room for 6 hours and did not have an accident. I was sure when we came home he would have done something because he had never been alone for that long but he didn't and was sleeping in the chair when we walked through the door.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been working on it for about 5 weeks but when he was neutered it really messed him up. He got all of his routine and may have had a slight bladder infection. He would be standing in the living room looking right at me and pee on the floor!

I figured we were just started from square once when he was recuperated.

I appreciate the encouragement. We will just hang in there! LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you ever tried the training pads? Every time Paco uses the pad you put it outside, so that the next time he goes, he scratches at the door to get outside and use his pad.

This worked for my chi:) Goodluck! I'm sure this will pass:)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You didn't mention how much free time he has? A dog who isn't reliable housebroken shouldn't have the privilage to be 'free roaming' through the house just yet. If there's a chance he'll have an accident, you have to be watching so you can immediately move him to the proper area. The key is to watch them closely; and is easier when tether-training is used (where they're attached to a harness and leash, that you take with you to make sure he is always by your side.) Very diligent supervision; that's the ticket... redirect and prevent every accident as it begins, and soon the dog will catch on that it is NOT appropriate to soil indoors. The same theory can be applied to pads even; if they begin to have an accident, they must be moved to the pad right away. A dog having an 'accident' means that it does not yet know that area is taboo. And yes a good enzyme cleaner will help. If it's always in a certain spot; put something new there or move something temporarily in its spot. A lot of effort pays of VERY quickly! Good luck.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Also consider that Paco is a teenage boy. :) Even though he doesn't have the hormones anymore since he was neutered, he will still test boundaries, and basically... be a brat. It's typical of the stage. He's in between being a baby and an adult. Many many dogs backslide during this time. Potty training issues, maybe barking or other behavioral issues crop up, nippy behavior, ignoring commands, etc. It's all part of being a teenager.

My advice would be to limit his free time. Don't let him have the opportunity to make mistakes. Be very firm and strict for the next week or so and I bet you can get through this bump in the road. Be consistent. Clean up all accidents thoroughly. Either tether him to you or watch him like a hawk. If you can't watch him, put him in his crate or playpen.

And remember... this too shall pass. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Holly is almost 6 months but she hasto go potty every hour but she is small 1.9 lbs.So I have just puppy pad trained her for now. She goes out when Zoe goes out which is only like 4 times a day for my older bigger Chi.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
good luck! i still have probs with tillie as im trying to train her but i cant take her out every 2 hours ect. as ive got school starting tomoz and my mum just dosent "get" that they need a routine! :( good luck! x

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very diligent supervision; that's the ticket... /QUOTE]

I think you are right. I have him gated in the same room I am in so I can watch him closely. I have to confess, when he has an accident I can always see what I did wrong in not catching his clues.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Well it's an easy fix; just a little annoying at first lol. =D Whenever I had a dog to tether train I end up getting tangled as the leash would be on me and depending where he wanted to go he'd be getting me all wrapped up. Finally I just put one of those metal clips on the end of the leash; and there's always something close by I can tether him to where he's still in my view; like a drawer handle in the kitchen; or coffee table leg in the living room. You learn to get creative depending on what your tasks are, haha.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Well it's an easy fix; just a little annoying at first lol. =D Whenever I had a dog to tether train I end up getting tangled as the leash would be on me and depending where he wanted to go he'd be getting me all wrapped up. Finally I just put one of those metal clips on the end of the leash; and there's always something close by I can tether him to where he's still in my view; like a drawer handle in the kitchen; or coffee table leg in the living room. You learn to get creative depending on what your tasks are, haha.
That is such good practical advise you offered as did everyone else on this thread. If I had known you guys 15 years ago when I was housed raining my doxie, I might have succeeded. I think it is so cool and sweet that everyone jumps in with suggestions when one of us needs help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Awesome advice! I'm gonna try that!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts