Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got Josie a few weeks ago, I knew that she would have accidents and so I dealt with them accordingly. I was very surprised at how quickly she got the concept of using the puppy pads and was very proud of her--she always got a treat when I had them on hand and if I didn't, she got tons of praise and kisses. Since I've had her with me, she sleeps in bed with me every night. She always wakes me up when she needs to go potty and when I notice that's what she's doing, I put her down on her pad and when she goes, tell her "Good girl!". It seemed like the only time she had accidents was when she was in a room or area where there wasn't a puppy pad.

As of about the past week, I've had some problems. Instead of waking me up, she uses the bathroom on my sheets and/or comforter. When she's in a room with a puppy pad, she'll go wherever she wants (sometimes even NEXT TO the pad). When I catch her in the act, I pick her up and put her on the pad and say, "We go potty here," but it doesn't take her more than a couple of seconds to do her business, so I'm usually always too late.

A few days ago, she had been with me all day and spent a few hours playing with her big brother at his house. They ran back and forth and played hard for about 3-4 hours, so when I brought her home I thought it wasn't unusual that she only wanted someone to hold her and go to sleep. I noticed that she had a big belly. She's always had a bit of a belly (even the vet thought she had internal parasites, but she checked out fine) but it looked like someone had blown a balloon up in her. I weighed her and she'd gained nearly a half a pound in a few days. I pushed in on her tummy, but she didn't cry or act like it hurt. I was scared to death, but later found the source of the problem: she'd taken advantage of her big brother's food bowl and pigged out. She was up all night going #1 and #2 and by morning, she was back to her normal size. During this stint, she had a few accidents on my comforter and the carpet, which I dismissed since I was simply delighted that it wasn't anything fatal going on. Could she have taken my dismissal of those actions as an OK to always do it there?

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to remedy this?

·
Registered
587 Posts
She is too young to be relied on to go where she is supposed to. Mine do the same thing, they go on the pee pee pads for a while and do great and then they start going whereever they want. Its frustrating but you just have to be patient. I dont reccomend letting them sleep wherever they want at such a young age. I think all puppies should be crate trained until they are atleast 1 year old. It really helps with the potty training too.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I wouldn't have a chi pup as small as Josie sleeping with me for a few reasons - two being that I could wake up with my face in a wet spot that she "created" and she's so small and fragile, I wouldn't want her to try and jump out of bed and get hurt during the night.

I'd crate her. I can't remember how old she is but I know she's a pup - she will probably get up to go potty every 2-3 hours, maybe 4. You can decide whether or not you want to put pee pads in her crate or confine her to a small area with all her "stuff" in it.

If you don't put pee pads in her crate, more than likely, she'll scream and yell every few hours because she wants to do her business. That means you'll be up, too. :D Cooper wouldn't do his business when he was a puppy unless the pee pad was outside his kennel. But he's always been an overachiever. LOL

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
my baby was in his basket/crate all night long...so yes this meant I had to wake up when he cried to take him out, but I have had a total of only 8 accidents since hew as 8 weeks old.

So maybe until she is older you should consider crating so she can tell you she has to pee...she probably has figured, why am I going to get up when I can just go here...

also she is a lil baby, so it will be awhile until she gets it...

good luck :wave:

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have heard that some chihuahuas are never fully potty trained. my girl is 7 months old and she basically does the same thing yours is doing (it's frustrating, but not much you can do). i know you're not supposed to do it, but i actually rub her nose in it when she pees on the floor. i've done it twice now, and then today right when we came home from staying at my mom's she ran right to her pad and peed on it as soon as we get home. ack! they are so much harder to train than cats. i just try to keep my patience with her.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Post Disclaimer: This is going to sound like I'm complaining about people, but I'm not. I'm just expressing my views on things I have done and seen in the past.

I think people have trouble potty training smaller breed dogs mainly because they see them as little babies and not as what they are - dogs. We had a chi that ruined EVERYTHING in our house when I was growing up and never thought twice about peeing on someone's foot if he had to go. My mom was the one that "trained" him and she treated him as a fragile little thing and never made him do anything he didn't want to do. Because of that, he had behavior problems all throughout his life and wasn't a pleasant dog to be around unless you were family.

When I got Cooper, I didn't want to have one of "those" dogs - I wanted a well-trained dog and I wanted to be able to let people in my house without the fear of pee stains on the carpet, barking and biting, etc. So I did a lot of research on crate training, obedience and potty training. Lucky for me, Cooper came pre-wired with the willingness to learn and the need to please, so he did everything I asked of him. I honestly believe his training was 95% him and 5% me- only because I had to be there to open the back door and hold the treats.

(Again, this is only my opinion and preference.) In relation to potty training specifically, dogs are supposed to use the restroom outdoors; it seems almost cruel to me to not let them out to explore, mark territory and do what comes natural. Sometimes, I think the problems surrounding chis and potty training are caused by the pee pads being an easy solution to letting your dog relieve him or herself instead of using them as a training tool and eventually having them make the adjustment to outdoors.

I view them as those silly pull-up diapers and kids who are potty training. Are they a diaper? Are they underwear? Is it okay to pee in a diaper/underwear? It sends mixed signals and, in my experience teaching children, all of the kids that wore those things didn't know what to do with them. But they're convienent for the parents, so they use them. I view the pee pads in the same light. If you don't want your dog to pee on the carpet, don't send mixed signals, using the pee pads and telling them it's okay to pee on the carpet.

AGAIN, this was only my opinion. My blood sugar is a bit low today and I am a bit cranky - this post is in no way directed at anyone or anychi. I just had to complain about something and my sister was unavailable to call and tell me what's wrong with me.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Coop's mom - i have a question. I totally understand what you are saying and i really dont like the idea of using puppy pads but i really have no choice. I live in a condominium complex and there are TONS and i mean TONS of other dogs around (mostly big guys). Almost everyone has dogs so it really would be unsafe for my 9 week old and my 13 week old to use the potty outside because neither have had all their shots. I have two porches that are fenced but they are completely cement. So what do u suspect i do? Continue with the potty pads until they are old enough to use the potty outside?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
ilovekeiki said:
Coop's mom - i have a question. I totally understand what you are saying and i really dont like the idea of using puppy pads but i really have no choice. I live in a condominium complex and there are TONS and i mean TONS of other dogs around (mostly big guys). Almost everyone has dogs so it really would be unsafe for my 9 week old and my 13 week old to use the potty outside because neither have had all their shots. I have two porches that are fenced but they are completely cement. So what do u suspect i do? Continue with the potty pads until they are old enough to use the potty outside?
That's what I did, although I have the luxury of a yard. I just had Cooper going on the pee pads but I would also "predict" what times he would need to go out and I'd take him outside for a walk about 10 minutes before.

But yours are too little to be outside in an uncontrolled environment since they don't have all their vaccinations and stuff. When I couldn't get Cooper out fast enough, I'd just say "good boy, go potty" every time I saw him using the pee pad then, when we were outside, I'd say the same thing and he would magically squat and pee. Eventually, when I was sure he could hold his bladder all day or for however long I wouldn't be home, I took up the potty pads and crated him to be sure.

My post wasn't geared towards anyone though; people have different living accommodations and everyone has to adjust accordingly. I was low on caffeine and sugar when I wrote it - I think my brain just had a meltdown or something. I'm feeling much better now. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts