Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new to the forum. I most likely will be picking up an 8 week old chihuahua. Ive done so much read and am prepared. Only thing thats worrying me housebreaking. Ive read that chihuahuas are not the easiest to housebreak, especially in the cold. Its been snowing but the snow keeps melting. Temperatures are getting below 0. I will be using the crate method, but still worried it will be too cold for him. I will be planning on getting him some clothing to help him stay warm. Will it be really hard to do? I really dont want to use the pee pad method. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was worried about the cold too but it hasn't been too cold for the call of doodie...sorry I really tried not too...we got a couple of coats but honestly most of the time she just runs on out with out one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
PA here and it's cold as well ~ well it will be I don't ever remember shopping in shorts for my son's birthday ~ I never put the shorts away, but its uncommon to go shopping/ out in the public with them on in them in December. I have a little gal Rio ~ we will continue training right through the worst of it weather-wise. We have had a few cold spells since she has been home ~ she goes quick when its cold out. I just don't have it in me to get pee pads unless it would be medically necessary. I will shovel and she'll have a sweater or coat if and when she needs it for warmth ~ but we'll be braving the temps too.

And try not to worry about the housebreaking ~ Rio has been by far the easiest dog I have ever trained to go potty. We've had one poo and one close call I believe since she has been home. She upon occasion pulls the ole double poo ~ but I am onto her with that. I take her to the office with me so obviously that helps. But every 20-30 minutes we "outside" and she does what she needs to. AT night she "crates-up" and she lets me know about 5 or 6 am her bladder is ready to boogie. She loves her crate ~ folks at my work want me to leave it at home so they can spend more time with her because its her favorite snooze spot when she isn't with a person. She has so far been easy-peasy with the potty, knock on wood it continues.

Welcome to the forum & Enjoy the new addition!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It's just as difficult for us as it is for them, especially if you have to take them out on a leash like I do!

Mine wear coats, and they learn quickly to speed it up when it gets good and cold. They hate the snow, so we have to clear out a patch for them, and they can't get back inside fast enough.

I have a 4 month old male that is pretty much housetrained, as long as I don't let time get away from me and take him out on a regular basis. We're up to about every 2 - 2 1/2 hours now. We got him at 10 weeks and we took him out hourly at the start. We use a crate, too, but he's trustworthy enough now that he runs loose all the time while we're watching him. He will hold it until we take him out.

Gracie was 5 months when we got her, and her previous owners hadn't been able to housetrain her at all, but I truly think they just didn't try. We had her housetrained in two weeks.

I don't like the pee pads either, so that's never been an option for me.

The two young ones are crated at night, and they are fine until I get up in the a.m. They're usually crated from about 10:30 p.m. until 6 or 7 a.m.

They aren't any harder to housetrain than any other breed, but they are more sensitive to the cold, so I can understand your concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Im not so concerned now. I just didnt want to have to take out the puppy every couple hours in the cold when itll be too uncomfortable to actually "go". The weather isnt even as cold as it should be here like you guys have said, and still no snow so thats a plus. I guess well see what happens lol. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts