Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been attempting to get my female chi housebroken since I got her at 8 weeks (She is now almost 15 months old.) She has gotten much better, but still not consistent and I'm getting frustrated. I'm considering to giving her the option of pee pads or litter to help with the moments that she feels like she wants to go in the house. She'll go outside, but if it's cold or the grass is wet, she will try not to go and prefers to do it in the house. My concern is with the smell from pee pads or litter as well as whether I will be confusing her.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what worked for them?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My dogs use pee pads exclusively. I work eight hours a day and it's just easier for me. Since they are on a feeding schedule, they sort of have a bathroom schedule. I just remove feces as I see them and replace the entire pad twice a day. I have a pad in each of my two dogs exercise pens and also a pad in the corner of the den where they play when they are out. Sometimes they do not use the pad in the corner of the den but return to their exercise pens to go instead. I would think the litter pan would be more difficult to keep odor free but I haven't used one so can't be sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any particular brand of pads that works well for you? I'm thinking if I do a combination of outside and pads it may give her something to fall back on other than my living room carpet! :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I started off with the Walmart brand of puppy pads. I am now using the pads which are designed for humans that are incontinent to put on their bed. They are twice as big as the puppy pads but cost about 1/3 less. I purchased those at Sam's but I would imagine any of the big discount stores would have them. I have not noticed any difference in odor control between the two.

I do notice a difference in odor depending on the food I feed them so I try to choose foods that produce low volume waste. You probably have already figured this out but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I wouldnt use pads unless you are sure its what you want to continue to do, otherwise its much harder to train them off the pads later on. Having said that my lot use puppy pads as I am out at work for 13 hours 2 nights a week. I keep my pads right by the back door (like a door mat) and under the cat flap. This way the dogs have the option of going outside in the run or using the pads if its wet/cold. I know some people think it confuses dogs to use pads but mine always seem to know where to go!!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts