·
Registered
384 Posts
that is just terrible )":
im appalled!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yes it is heart breaking :-( Someone posted this in Chihuahua articles the other day.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It's mutually sad for all involved.

Staffords are NOT bad - they have a high prey drive and if not handled properly terrible things can happen, it's a humongous dog and had incredible jaw strength. It shouldn't have been mixed without having some idea of the temperament etc. and if it did have an un-adoptable temperament what were they thinking having him out on a weekend visit?

It's unfortunate and my heart goes out to the chihuahua, it certainly did not deserve that but it seems like there should have been some initial meet ups etc. to gauge the relationship.

It makes me mad all the way around.

**Note the picture they post of a seemingly aggressive stance: "a staffordshire SIMILAR to the one that mauled the chihuahua"

That's irritating.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:( that is horrible! my best friend has a pitbull that is just the sweetest! He would never do anything like that, I guess that family didnt really spend much time with that pit bull before adopting it, it had to have shown some aggression signs...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
:( that is horrible! my best friend has a pitbull that is just the sweetest! He would never do anything like that, I guess that family didnt really spend much time with that pit bull before adopting it, it had to have shown some aggression signs...

"Mrs Higgins, 31, of Rochford, Essex, said: 'He arrived on Friday. He had been found filthy and starving under someone's stairs where he had been kept. He was so thin you could see his ribs and backbone. It was awful."

That is reason enough to believe the dog was not socialized and should NEVER have been mixed with the chihuahua more so than being actually aggressive.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is very very sad. It's clearly the fault of the RSPCA as they are in charge of rehoming and ensuring suitability.

Poor little Coco :(

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
**Note the picture they post of a seemingly aggressive stance: "a staffordshire SIMILAR to the one that mauled the chihuahua"

That's irritating.
Yes! I was going to comment on that as well. What a ridiculous picture. As if anyone doesnt know what a pit bull is anyway, if you dont have a photo of the actual dog involved than why include one. The caption might as well have said "here is another vicious, chihuahua eating, evil dog".
That is horrible for the poor little chi, but foolish on the part of the family. I would NEVER adopt a large dog, bully breed or not, to live with children or tiny dogs without being sure of its temperament. We were looking into a rescue rottie about a year ago and she had been in a foster home for over a year living with other dogs and a dog savvy foster mom. The rescue did very careful evaluations before they accepted any new dogs, and very careful evaluations of the adopters before they adopted them out. That dog should have been evaluated with other dogs at the shelter first, then had a home visit with rescue worker present to keep the situation safe for everyone. Frustrating to see that a mistreated, homeless dog is being faulted where people should have been making careful, responsible choices.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Frustrating to see that a mistreated, homeless dog is being faulted where people should have been making careful, responsible choices.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I lived with quite a few large breeds in my life, and my own German Shepard-mix attacked and cause near fatal damage on my Grans chi-weenie after knowing him for years.

It was absolutely horrible, but he was was a rescue we took on and apparently something triggered him and he went crazy, and that's after years of them getting on just fine.

It's not to say rescues are always broken, they aren't obviously, but when there is such a large size difference it can cause problems quick if something comes up. Had they adopted a "feral chihuahua" the chances of the their own pet being mauled would have been much, much less.

Very, very irresponsible on all involved parties.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is just so sad! Poor baby coco!:(

I dont no how it got of its lead or why the Rspca would let it join the family if they only found it on the friday and didnt no anything about its temperment ect! If it had been introduced slowly then this could have been avoided!

I dont think staffys are all that bad as my friend has one and a chi and they are fine together. The thing with staffys are all the chavs seem to have them and just do not bring them up right,not the dogs fault thought.And with responsible owner are good dogs!

Chavs have said to me when walking my dogs that their dogs(staffys genrally) would eat my dogs or laugh that their not proper dogs.Whatever the breed,people who bring their dogs up to fight or bite and make them aggressive just make me angry it is genrally young lads or chavs and its very sad-dont you agree? Its just a very sad story which could have been avoided :/ xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts