Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I did get that puppy and she's been with us for a week. At the firs vet visit she weighted 4.1 pound at 15.5 weeks. I did read that chi puppy is expected to get twice his weight at 16 week, which for us seems to be 8-9 pounds. Should I expect her grow that much?
I was told that her mom was about 5.7 till pregnancy and got to 6.8 while feeding babies, her dad is about 4 pounds. Both her parents have akc registration as does she. But I believe that akc standard doesn't allow chi to be more then 6 pounds. So how is that she's so big? :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
MANY chihuahuas get to be over the 6# mark. Even if the parents are within the standard, a puppy may revert to a bigger relative in the pedigree. Did you actually see the mama and papa? It doesn't really matter unless you were going to 'show' her. a lot of people actually prefer the larger size--better with children etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didn't actually see he parents, only the pictures. But her dad is a champion.
We aren't going to show or breed her, I was warned that she's not a show quality, so that's not an issue, just an curiosity.
Getting a puppy with registration I expected her to be in standard range, maybe a bit off, but not for like 2-3 pounds. Anyway that would be my fault since I should've check the weight tables and ask about it before getting her. Now she's already a family member anyway.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My Bentley was charting to be around 6 pounds and he is 8. He sure doesn't seem like he is 8 pounds! Beverly is 5.5 pounds and they seem the same size but Bentley is so much stockier and Beverly is dainty. It is very common for Chis to be around this size.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The weight charts aren't really that reliable. Mine was supposed to end up 5.5lbs and ended up 6 lbs 10 oz.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's not even in that chart :D Going to check her weight tomorrow (at exactly 16 weeks) and check again.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The charts are only a guide.
She may have already done most of her growing and stay small, or she may well end up over 6lbs.
Bibi was charting to be around 6lbs as a young puppy (153g at birth) but she is only 3lbs as an adult
They roughly double their size at the 12 week mark, not 16, so I don't think she will be in the 8-9lb size range, 6lbs is much more realistic

·
Registered
155 Posts
yea the charts are just a generalization they aren't 100% accurate just like child growth charts and percentages. my child's doctor would alway say my sons were in the low percentile for their age but then they hit a growth spurt in kindergarten and are just as tall and even taller than some of the other children when they were on the small percentile and dogs can do the same she may have just had her growth spurt and will slow down they are usually off by at least .5 lbs I think and sometimes more it says padme will be 6.5-7lbs I could see her getting bigger though my chi i grew up with is just as tall as an average chi but twice the weight. she's around 12lbs she is overweight though but she started gaining weight after she turned nine a few years ago she loves with my youngest sister and mom. still as sweet as pie though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to update this post with our age and weight in case someone else will have the same question about their puppy. So at 16 weeks she was 4.39.

·
Registered
155 Posts
seems like your chi has slowed down on the weight and since she/he(sorry don't remember) is about 5 months old now or nearly I think I'd say she/he probably won't get that much bigger my vet told me once chis get around 7-9 months old that's about the size they stay though they can still get wider or thicker. it seems like your chi will be average sized though 6-7 pounds probably of course I can't say for sure bc there are alot of things that Will factor in and play a role other than genetics like her diet and exercise and what not. I appreciate the update too it does give me something to base padmes weight on too other than the standard weight chart on chis bc you never really know if those are based on the average chi or the ones that are akc registered and what not and where it has been a useful tool its good to know the growth rate of an individual chi as well.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Mine have all been pretty close to adult size at 4 to 5 months. They may fill out and get heavier, but the size they look at that age doesn't change hugely.

K8emcgee, your pup will not necessarily follow the charts at all because she is a mix. Different breeds grow and develop at different rates.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes I know that it is much different with cross breeds that's why I've been comparing her weight to both. It's just nice to have something to compare it to is all. Rather than charts. The way it looks so far is Padme is going to weight around 7-8 lbs she's going through a very awkward growth spurt losing some hair growing in other places and her legs got much longer but her body is still small so she looks kinda like a newborn deer lol with floppy ears.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
A average rule of thumb is their weight will usually fall inbetween what the parents weighed. Midgies mom was around 8 lbs and the dad was on the smaller size around 6 lbs. At 11 years old Midgie weighs around 7 lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts