Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry Im full of questions today. I am trying to cut his nails he is yelping like im killing him yet I havent cut ANY nails. hes swarming all around and they are in need of being cut badly.

How cant I make it easier on the both of us?

·
Registered
549 Posts
How old is your chi.
I advise that you start playing with his feet, alot...splay the toes, look at the toenails...playing the game. This gets them used to handling the feet and cutting the nails.
I cut all my chis toenails and all, except one are okay with it. I use a cat nail clippers since the chis usually have pretty fine nails. I have one that has heavy nails, but the cat scissors still works for her, too. I alway have kwik stop or styptic powder on hand, just in case they jump and you draw blood. The squirmy one will start yelping as soon as I pick up the clippers...but she still lets me cut the nails. I just cannot let her have the upper hand, I usually try to do her first, because she is worse if she is last...

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
We use a dremel tool on Bosco. It works really well. I hold him and feed him a treat while Karl trims his nails.

The one good thing about the dremel is that if it does get to the quick of the nail it won't bleed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nemos 16 weeks old. I use the big nail clippers the first time i did it. it didnt hurt him at all it was fast and easy. But I guess hes got other plans for this time. :(

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
its not easy for me, I try to wait until he is calm, I usually need a distraction for the front paws, the back paws are easier. He has yelped and I have not cut him, maybe I got too close but I have to juggle a flashlight and everything so the whole procedure is not my favorite pastime :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts