Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 yr old chi, Little Bit, and she weighs about 11 1/2 pounds. I have had her on Science DIet Lite for 6 months that wasn't making any difference. Then my vet said just cut back her food intake, I did she still didn't lose an ounce. Now she is just on Science Diet Adult small bites. I am going to start walking her some now that the snow is pretty much gone since she isn't used to it yet it will only be short walks. And advice??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! I thought about stairs, I was going to start bringing her to work with me everyday, I have to go up stairs quite a bit and she is a very loyal and will follow me everywhere so I was going to give that a try as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pango is a Chubster so I know what you mean. I have him on a diet (which he hates me for it) but he has to lose some weight. I take Pango for walks 4 times a day for about 15-30 mins. Plus every other day he goes to the off leash park to run off those calories. There are some strairs that I have him climb with me, but just be careful because their little legs and joints are very fragile.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmm...if she isn't used to stairs you might want to be careful like Pangos_Mum says. We have stairs in the house and Puck has been running up and down them almost his whole life, so for him (and for cats), they're no big deal.

He was pretty funny about it too. I trust his judgement--he won't jump off of things if he thinks they're too high. And he doesn't (like me) like stairs that he can see through (and possibly slip through, like outside). He started being able to climb the stairs about two weeks after I brought him home. But he couldn't go down them, so he sat at the top and barked until his loyal servent (myself) came to get him.

I was thinking of getting some agility equipment for him to exercise with because he has so much energy. But that involves money and training...

Dogs are just like people in that respect. If you want to lose weight, it won't help much to just eat Healthy Choice, you've got to get exercise too. So, really, anything you can think of that she will take to that will get her exercise will be good.

If all else fails, you could try chasing her around. Puck likes that game.

Chihuahuas are great. Tell me how many other breeds you can get away with bringing to work and to malls...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your advice! SHe isn't a very active dog she likes to play with my mother i law's yorkies so i do nring her over there once a week or so. She has 7 of them so she always has someone to run with. She does like to chase the cats though but then they get behind a baby gate and tormente her. My boy Blaze does have that problem in his back legs with the slipping of the knee caps. I just found out last week at the vets. So I do know how fragile they are!! He doens't have to have surgery and hopefully he won't have to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi! :wave:

Try feeding her two smalls meals a day... don't leave her food out for her to munch on whenever she feels like it... no table scraps :icescream: or fattening meats... and as everyone else said, exercise as much as possible without wearing her out!

Don't expect overnight results... how much does she have to lose, about 4 lbs? If so, that's almost a 3rd of her body weight -- think of it like a 300 pound person trying to get down to 167 lbs... It takes consistency & lots of patience :clock:

If you don't see any results after a good amount of time, check with your vet to make sure she doesn't have hypothyroidism or Cushing's disease (both can cause the appearance of an overweight dog & should be ruled out or treated).

Good luck! :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have cut her food way back down to less then a cup a day, my vet has ruled out thyroid problems. I have been pretty strict with treats and scraps. I just need to really get her outside and walk her more she hasn't been much of a walker so it is kinda hard on her. I would really love her to at least lose 2 or 3 lbs. I am planning on breeding her again with my little male next year and I don't want to put her at any risk or even take a chance with her having babies. She had to have a c-section with her first litter and don't want to go thru that again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts