Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Little and potentially stupid question but,...

How can I tell a puppy has a pink or black nose? Does pigment show up right away or later when the dog is older? I don't care either way, just curious.

·
Registered
454 Posts
A lot of puppies are born with pink noses but the pigment fills in as they mature a little bit. Usually within a few weeks they have a mostly filled in if not fully filled in nose. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
But beware that the color can continue to change. I don't know what color the pigment in his nose was when he was born, but Tango's nose was solid black when I rescued him at 7 months. As he matured it lightened, to where it's a kind of a brown color now, darker round the edges. It looks kinda like the black's been rubbed off the middle lol!

If you look in my signature pic, you can see his brown nose. Now look at Jazz's nose, which is full black. That's what Tango's used to look like until he turned 2.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey's nose was totally pink, then at a few weeks took on some black pigment. I really thought she was going to have a black nose but it turned out to be liver colored.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Surprisingly enough, drinking and eating out of plastic bowls can cause the pigment of a dog's nose to change because a chemical found in the plastic interferes with the dog's ability to produce melanin. There are a few other conditions that can cause nose pigmentation to lighten, so, like Zoey's Mom said, the color of the nose may constantly change.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Really, I didn't know that. As I mentioned, I learn something new all the time. Zoey eats off small paper plates as she does not like to eat out of the bowel but her water is in a metal bowel.

Surprisingly enough, drinking and eating out of plastic bowls can cause the pigment of a dog's nose to change because a chemical found in the plastic interferes with the dog's ability to produce melanin. There are a few other conditions that can cause nose pigmentation to lighten, so, like Zoey's Mom said, the color of the nose may constantly change.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Really, I didn't know that. As I mentioned, I learn something new all the time. Zoey eats off small paper plates as she does not like to eat out of the bowel but her water is in a metal bowel.
Chip prefers paper plates too, but he drinks out of a plastic water bowl (one of the automatic water things...I don't think they sell them in metal).

I want to switch the paper plates though...he always tears it up after he eats LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts