Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a very loving and fairly spoiled female chihuahua, Bessie, who has been a wonderful part of our little family since she was small enough to bring home. She's always been a companion dog, very friendly, always interested in what we are doing, energetic, and almost pushy demanding attention of us and our guests. We take her with us places (family and friends houses) when we can, and noticed she LOVED to play with cats, actually preferred them over other dogs when given the choice! (When we first brought her home we had been staying with family temporarily and they had an older adult cat as well, they would play sometimes, but the cat being about 10 or so would lose interest fast and Bessie would be SO disappointed) So we made the choice to get a kitten to add to our family and brought her home when she was 8 weeks, about two to three weeks ago. Bessie LOVES playing with her! They wrestle and snuggle, and although Bessie's got moments of jealousy, for the most part she seems to really enjoy having a buddy! We do our best to treat them "fairly," the biggest example of this is feeding time. Bessie always has eaten the same dry food, and treats. Sometimes some rice or other dog friendly food if we make it, but not really ever wet food. I had read though that kittens need the added fat of a wet food in their diet, and we cant give the cat special food and not the dog, so they both have been getting portions (the cat 1/4 a can kitten food, and the dog 1/3 of a container of the little ceaser wet foods) once to twice a day. Bessie has stopped eating her dry food completely, even when mixed with her wet stuff, and is basically refusing to eat anything crunchy now even treats and bones unless we spend a LOT of time encouraging her (aka holding the bone for her to chew and she still loses interest fast where before she was ALL about eating all she could!) She's been wanting to sit with us less, and sleeping with us much less. This morning we woke up to several dog toys in bed with her us and the cat, and Bessie carrying a toy around slightly shaking and with her tail between her legs. She's always had need to attempt to be the dominant one, and never been a picky eater. We are at a loss for what to do and are afraid we may have to get rid of the cat since this is getting increasingly worse since the cat came home. Any suggestions to help us keep our fur family together?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
You can't get rid of the kitten,they seemed to have bonded so well,and i think you would have more trouble with her missing her friend.Not sure why you can't give the kitten special food and not the dog i'm sure she won't know.Also the Ceaser food you're feeding is not a good food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm I'll have to switch to a different wet food, we weren't sure what to give her. Bessie would surely know if we fed the cat and not her, for a while she kept trying to eat the cat food (she'd let the kitten eat first, and when she was done she'd eat whatever was left lol we had to move the cat food up out of her reach). Our home is fairly small, and Bessie is very aware of anything you do in the kitchen usually! lol I dont want to encourage jealousy between she and the cat for sure! I agree she would surely miss her!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
for one you CANT get rid of the cat! that will break her heart and ruin that poor kitten! two what are you feeding her? as it maybe that your are feeding low quality food which even if she has been on it all her life ect. it can change her behavior at some point! x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've fed her small bites (or small mouth whatever) Beneful, and we have been trying different wet foods. I wont buy that ceaser stuff again, she eats it fine but I realize now its not made well. Not sure what to try next though.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Walmart and the grocery store are not the place to buy pet food...:) that being said...do you have a Petsmart nearby?

Research Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
for one...There are some exceptional dry and wet dog foods out there. I did learn a trick though by sprinkling some water on the dry not much just enough to wet the dry food..my two picky eaters prefer it this way...it's a smell thing...LOL

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Another site to check is dogfoodadvisor.com. You can even sign up for a recall notice in the event one occurs!
Angel, unfortunately, has gotten our cat afraid of him! But, I feed the cat on a bench we have. Angel can reach it, but I usually feed the cat when we go to work and again at our bed-time (she hides under the bed all the time).
I try to keep him away from the cats food, but it's difficult. It smells so yummy to them!!

I am a bit of a disciplinarian. There are certain things I won't tolerate, and in time, I, hopefully will win! lol. My husband spoils him!! Angel is now 18 months old and is improving constantly! I don;t know how old your chi is, but she may learn in time, that she can't have the same thing the cat has!

They are still a joy to have around - no matter how much work they are!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts