Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really frustrating me! Ever since I was little I wanted chihuahuas and I read that they like one person or 2, and follow them everywere! I never imagined they would attach themself to someone else lol.

Bambi likes everyone in the house but prefers me and sits with me so she is fine, its Bruiser no matter what I do,he likes my dad the most!

I always thought it was because I had bambi in my bed since I got her but he was in his own bed until recenty(now sleep with me)

Bruiser likes everyone and will go to anyone wereas Bambi only goes to people she knows and is really close to me and my dad but bruiser just prefers my dad!I'm the one who walks him,gives him treats,feeds him,sleeps with him ect and he still doesnt like me. Now I dont no if its because my dad gives him food scraps or what but he always wants to sit with my dad,waits outside his bedroom door and he growls at me when hes tired or bites sometimes when you pick him up but never to my dad!He gets so excited when he comes home too.

On a weekend I go to my bfs and take bruiser with me and hes a much better dog! Doesnt growl or anything and he sits with me and is lovely then soon as im home and my dads in he doesnt want to no me! My dad isnt home in the mornings so bruiser is fine but the minute hes home its like he changes.

Its so annoying when I do everything for him,and love him so much and he just chooses to be with my dad and wont even come to me when hes their.I always imagined my dogs to be following me about like bambi does so for him to prefer my dad is so annoying!

Is their anything I could try? x

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i cant help you at all as my Keona is the same , i call her a traitor haha she would prefer to hang out with my hubby unless Myami is on my lap than she is interested , i got pretty lucky with Myami she only has eyes for me :) .

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
You may have to ask your Dad to start ignoring him. For some reason he has bonded with him so the ball is in his court. You could incorporate NILIF and see if that will change the pack mentality and maybe if he respects you as a pack leader it will help? If he is growling and snapping at others and not your dad then he see's your dad as the pack leader and noone else.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
2 of my girls prefer me and 1 prefers my OH. When he is not home Pinky is with me constantly but as soon as he walks in the door she is his companion for the rest of the night. She even sleeps laying on him at night. He never had a dog and it's nice to see him have that bond. My theory is that since he was alone on the trip to south Carolina to get her, they bonded in the car. Try not to take it personal and think how nice it must be for your dad.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Sam problem here I'm afarid. Lola loves my dad. He calls her Queeny Queen lol. She follows him everywhere and sits with him. If he moves she moves.

Tillie loves me and sticks only with me.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw I know it hurts, but I don't think there is much you can do about it short of moving out, to be honest. Sounds like he has chose your Dad as his person. It happens sometimes. I personally would just try to let it go. :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I had my doxie mix for 17 years and she always only tolerated me and loved my dad. My dad never even lived with us, but did come over and babysit while I worked. They choose their human, nothing to be done about it. Just like you choose your friends. Short of moving out, there is nothing to be done. You have one that adores you and thinks you are the best, be happy with that. lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would suggest trying to deepen your bond with Bruiser. Take him with you places. Take him on walks. Spend time just one on one with him. Teach him some tricks, etc. If he is growling at you and nipping at you when he is tired, it sounds like he doesn't respect you as a pack leader. So you can do as Michelle said and google NILIF training and incorporate that. I think if you work hard, you may be able to win him over.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does NILIF mean?
Well im glad im not the only one,seeing as alot of you have said your chis prefer someone else.
I dont want him to just like me and ignore my dad but be more like Bambi, she will come to me or my dad when were both their whoever calls her really wereas bruiser would go to my dad and only me if he wasnt their.

I thought maybe its because my dad never disiplines him and he takes bruiser up to his garden/alotment which bruiser enjoys.

How can you become the pack leader?

I do take bruiser on a weekend to my bfs and leave bambi at home and I actually take him more places than I do bambi so I dont no what his problem is lol!I will try to rebond with him. If not i'll just let it go and be happy for my dad lol.

Ooh but when I get my next pup I hope it doesnt prefer my dad as well :/

thanks for your replies xxx

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Aw, try not to let it bother you. Just because he favors your Dad doesn't mean he doesn't love you. They have personalities just like you & me, so they do have preferences. Not such a bad thing, but I feel your frustration. My children prefer their Dad, but I do most everything for them. It hurts sometimes, but I know they still love me.
I wouldn't tolerate him biting me tho! He probably senses your frustration & you might be trying to hard to win him over. I would disagree about getting your Dad to ignore him. It's just he prefers to be with your Dad & that's not a bad thing. Just like Bambi prefers you. If he was your only chi, I wouldn't know what to tell you, but enjoy Bambi's attachment to you.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
NILIF Nothing in life is free. It is a rewards based training technique that will help you establish pack leadership in a positive way ;-) You can google NILIF and read more about it :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would just say to try doing more stuff with him and you said that your dad gives him scraps, maybe you should ask him to stop. But if Bruiser prefers your dad then you just have to deal whit the fact that he will always like your dad a bit more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts