Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how close Louie is to 'standard'
Was just about to post on the thread but saw its closed :foxes15:

My initial thought is that although he is KC registered, he is not bred to standard. He weighs over 6lb, his nose is too long, and hes too tall and slender (in my opinion)

Obviously it doesn't matter and it goes without saying he is my baby and gorgeous and I love him to bits :)

Here are the best pics of him I could find:

Side on

I have emailed his previous owner (again) asking for his KC details. His KC name is 'Strike It Rich' but thats all I know so i've asked for a copy of his papers or just the kennel name or his parents names. I really want to know who he was bred from!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you know his KC registered name, then you should be able to contact the kennel club to see if they have his sire & dame details on file. If I remember right then I did this with my old Boxer who was KC reg'd, and they forwarded me some of his info. I cant remember if I had to pay for it though.

Also, out of interest where did you get Louie's harness?

Thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would love to comment and help out with your question but every time I do I get called a 'bully' and get snide remarks made about me.
What a shame this forum is so sensitive.
Hope some one else can answer your question with out being shouted down xx

·
Registered
384 Posts
oooo! louie is very cute! :)
and my chi is slender to, but hes all chi!

thats him, and he looks pretty skinny in this pic to me. he's slender, till he has lunch!

(please mind my slippers)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would love to comment and help out with your question but every time I do I get called a 'bully' and get snide remarks made about me.

awww, im sorry some ppl are rude to you :(

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Louise you tell the truth and thats all that matters :) no point in lying and saying a dog is perfect to stranded when its not :) , im not 100% on being able to tell and if i asked this question i would want an honest answer from someone who new what they were looking at :) ,and you are one of the people who's answer i would Trust .

·
Registered
881 Posts
Louise you tell the truth and thats all that matters :) no point in lying and saying a dog is perfect to stranded when its not :) , im not 100% on being able to tell and if i asked this question i would want an honest answer from someone who new what they were looking at :) ,and you are one of the people who's answer i would Trust .
Aww thanks :) I don't like to feed people lies because one day some one will come out with the truth lol I would never say anything to be horrible just because a dog doesn't fit to every bit of the standard doesn't mean its not beautiful. Even show dogs have there faults.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Aww thanks :) I don't like to feed people lies because one day some one will come out with the truth lol I would never say anything to be horrible just because a dog doesn't fit to every bit of the standard doesn't mean its not beautiful. Even show dogs have there faults.
That is so true :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I learned a lot from that thread (although I did not return to the thread to see anything that I would describe as rude or personal so I will not address that).

Let me explain as a new person (because who can be rude to the ignorant new person-haha!) what I learned.

I thought yes, of course. My dog is an AKC pure bred so certainly she is but I ASKED. I got feedback that educated me (thanks flippedstars). No one would debate/dispute that Hope is pure bed but bred to the standard is something different (I did not know this so again, thanks all). It was kindly shared with me that her stop is lovely and some other kind comments but her ears may be too high, etc. I asked, so NO offense taken.

She is precious and lovely but not a show dog. We did not intend that but now I know that. Once I continued conversations with Kristi, she helped me understand that one of the new pups we are looking at is cute and pure bred, she would not buy her because our goals are different, not because there is something wrong with the dog. I want a pure bred pet while others want a champion, bred to standard breed or show dog.

I thought the point of the thread was just that. Many of us post here believing that our dogs are standard and perhaps show or breeding quality and they are not. Just like with our children, we should believe that our chi babies are beautiful and smart. I am grateful when some of you happen to agree with me! haha! A judge will not, however. Thy are judging based on stringent guidelines not charm, general cuteness and frankly the things that endear a dog to me.

I am not easily angered nor offended so I appreciate the honest feedback (there is also a kind way to present honest feedback)-ESPECIALLY when I have asked!

The best example I have of this is race cars (sweet husband's way to spend money). A 19 year old young man was proud of his paint job and asked us to drop by and see it since my husband had helped him so much on his car. The cars are legitimately the SAME make and model. Pure breds, if you will. The young man had saved to get the supplies to paint this car himself and while it looked better than before he painted, I could see all the imperfections and later I asked my husband what he really thought and he praised the young man and his work. I was puzzled. I assured him that no car of his would EVER look like that am him be satisfied. He said that I was right but went on to explain that he is a registered/licensed driver with the NHRA and has a $10,000 paint job on his car. See, he and the young man had different goals and requirements. Did not mean that the young man's car was ugly nor did it mean that it now was no longer the genuine make and model. The young man wanted (like I want) a car that looked good, made him happy an received nice remarks from his friends and family.

So thanks to all of you who are educating me. I appreciate it and hope I am not wearing out my welcome and trying your patience!!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The best example I have of this is race cars (sweet husband's way to spend money). A 19 year old young man was proud of his paint job and asked us to drop by and see it since my husband had helped him so much on his car. The cars are legitimately the SAME make and model. Pure breds, if you will. The young man had saved to get the supplies to paint this car himself and while it looked better than before he painted, I could see all the imperfections and later I asked my husband what he really thought and he praised the young man and his work. I was puzzled. I assured him that no car of his would EVER look like that am him be satisfied. He said that I was right but went on to explain that he is a registered/licensed driver with the NHRA and has a $10,000 paint job on his car. See, he and the young man had different goals and requirements. Did not mean that the young man's car was ugly nor did it mean that it now was no longer the genuine make and model. The young man wanted (like I want) a car that looked good, made him happy an received nice remarks from his friends and family.

So thanks to all of you who are educating me. I appreciate it and hope I am not wearing out my welcome and trying your patience!!!
THAT is the most wonderful analogy I have ever heard! Your husband gave a 100% honest answer for the situation and did not break the young mans spirit! It can be done!

I think the thing with the bred to standard threads is that unlike yourself, most people DO NOT really want to be told their dogs are not to standard (imperfect). :) These issues can be so touchy sometimes. I would never deliberately hurt anyones feelings, that is never my hearts desire, but sometimes I don't understand exactly what's being asked. Do they want to know if the dog is bred to standard for show purposes or is the dog a pretty good little pet and the love of their life? Communication is a tough thing, particularly in venue such as this, because you lose the advantage of tonal inflection and facial expression.

Everyone of my dogs are so far from standard, but I didn't buy/adopt for show. I dearly love my babies. :)

Thank you for such good insight and for sharing such wisdom.

·
Registered
384 Posts
THAT is the most wonderful analogy I have ever heard! Your husband gave a 100% honest answer for the situation and did not break the young mans spirit! It can be done!

I think the thing with the bred to standard threads is that unlike yourself, most people DO NOT really want to be told their dogs are not to standard (imperfect). :) These issues can be so touchy sometimes. I would never deliberately hurt anyones feelings, that is never my hearts desire, but sometimes I don't understand exactly what's being asked. Do they want to know if the dog is bred to standard for show purposes or is the dog a pretty good little pet and the love of their life? Communication is a tough thing, particularly in venue such as this, because you lose the advantage of tonal inflection and facial expression.

Everyone of my dogs are so far from standard, but I didn't buy/adopt for show. I dearly love my babies. :)

Thank you for such good insight and for sharing such wisdom.

:hello1: yes i completly agree with both of yu!!! :hello1:
i didnt know that alot of people on here like to show off there dogs because they are a "certain standard". like, REALLY???? i had no idea this was so important.
i love my little randy because of his personality, even if he was an ugly dog.
thats not whats importante.

and as for the car thing, your husband is a good man for doing his best, and putting his all. :hello1:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you know his KC registered name, then you should be able to contact the kennel club to see if they have his sire & dame details on file. If I remember right then I did this with my old Boxer who was KC reg'd, and they forwarded me some of his info. I cant remember if I had to pay for it though.

Also, out of interest where did you get Louie's harness?

Thanks
I have emailed the KC to see what they can do :) No reply as yet.
His harness is from Ebay I think it was around £7 :)

Louise I would love your opinion on him. Although he is KC reg I know he is far from standard. He is not a show quality chi and all and probably has many 'faults' Obviously this makes no difference to me, he is still my baby and I love him. I was just interested in what his 'faults' are and how he compares to a standard bred chi.

Nothing you say will be taken in offence as I know he is far from perfect. Thats the truth. KC reg means nothing without the breeding behind it. Not every dog is perfect, but he is perfect to me :)

I love your honest opinions so please feel free x

·
Registered
152 Posts
i didnt know that alot of people on here like to show off there dogs because they are a "certain standard". like, REALLY???? i had no idea this was so important.
But I really don't think that the point of the other thread was so that people could 'show-off'. I think the point is that alot of people get ripped-off and pay massively over the odds for a dog that they believe is 'top-quality' because, due to dodgy breeders flooding the market with badly-bred dogs, many people have no idea what a Chihuahua is actually supposed to look like! And unless more knowledgeable people challenge these misconceptions more and more people will continue to be conned into buying what they believe is a pedigree Chihuahua because they don't know any better, and the unscrupulous breeders will be laughing all the way to the bank.

So I think the original thread was a discussion about people's understanding of the breed-standard. Of course a dog that doesn't meet the standard is no less worthy of love, I don't think anyone would suggest that for a minute! But if someone has paid thousands for a 'pure-bred' Chihuahua that ends up weighing 10 lbs and looking more like a Jack Russel then they have been ripped-off, and nothing is to be gained by everyone pretending that they can't see the difference - in fact it could be extremely misleading to people who have come to this forum for advice before buying their first Chi.

·
Registered
881 Posts
who did you think was showing off? It was started to inform people about the breed standard, you got a chihuahua because you wanted a chihuahua, what would happen if there was no standard, we would end up with all sorts of different looking dogs, when I got my first chihuahua I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be looking for even tho she is fully kc reg I wouldn't say its worth the paper its printed on, she is my baby and hate to say it but my favourite out of my dogs and the one I am most proud of.

And yes to be honest I do like to show off my show dogs, but that's why they are show dogs! :p

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ok I hope I don't upset you I will describe what I see, I know not all photos point out there best features (I have plenty of crap photos of my dogs lol)
You said he is over 6 lbs so thats over standards but not a big deal there are plenty of show dogs who are over 6lbs he doesn't look like a giant in any of your photos.
He has a apple dome skull, not over done but not flat. He has lovely large flared ears that seem to be set in the correct 45degree angle. His muzzle is a little long for the show ring but who's to say its to long for standard as it just states moderately short so its up to preference.
He has light pigment I'm not sure if this comes up in the standard to be fair, is undesirable in the show ring but light eyes and pigment in light coloured dogs is permissible.
Haven't see his teeth but his jaw looks to be correct from the photos (if you can't see a problem then don't go looking for one :p) he has a nice reach of neck.
I don't know if that his normal stand or if he is pulling/leaning into his harness, but in the photos he has dropped his top line. His rear angulation is good and he has small dainty feet that don't seem to turn in or out, his tail seems to be set high and carried straight over his back but its bit hard to tell because of his topline.
He sure is a pretty boy :) hope you can see what I'm talking about and don't take it the wrong way x

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Ok I hope I don't upset you I will describe what I see, I know not all photos point out there best features (I have plenty of crap photos of my dogs lol)
You said he is over 6 lbs so thats over standards but not a big deal there are plenty of show dogs who are over 6lbs he doesn't look like a giant in any of your photos.
He has a apple dome skull, not over done but not flat. He has lovely large flared ears that seem to be set in the correct 45degree angle. His muzzle is a little long for the show ring but who's to say its to long for standard as it just states moderately short so its up to preference.
He has light pigment I'm not sure if this comes up in the standard to be fair, is undesirable in the show ring but light eyes and pigment in light coloured dogs is permissible.
Haven't see his teeth but his jaw looks to be correct from the photos (if you can't see a problem then don't go looking for one :p) he has a nice reach of neck.
I don't know if that his normal stand or if he is pulling/leaning into his harness, but in the photos he has dropped his top line. His rear angulation is good and he has small dainty feet that don't seem to turn in or out, his tail seems to be set high and carried straight over his back but its bit hard to tell because of his topline.
He sure is a pretty boy :) hope you can see what I'm talking about and don't take it the wrong way x
I love your description! That sounds like a professional judge! As you know, my sis and I raise and show Nubian Dairy Goats, and my sister is a Judge. Reach of neck, angulation, topline!!!! All sound like or similar to the Doe Ring! Gets me in the mood for show season. :)

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts