1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i have a lot of questions...
but this is my first puppy,
and i wanna do everything right.
i have had her for about a week, she is about 10 weeks old.
i havent even heard her bark once.
my dad has 2 min pins, and even when they bark my baby doesnt.
she sometimes cries at night when i put her in her crate though.
is this normal?

·
Registered
587 Posts
One of my dogs who is a lab/pit mix did bark at first either. We got her from the pound and she was over 1 year old and we didnt hear a peep outta her until a few months after we got her... my chi pup hasnt barked yet either and yes she too cries in her crate but not much anymore. She used to cry a lot and i just felt so bad, but you can not take them out of that crate if they cry. It teaches them that all they have to do is cry when they want to be let out and they will never stop crying!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you guys so much...
i feel much better to know that she is normal :)
i was gonna ask the vet when i took her....
but i forgot :?
you guys are very helpful.
im glad i signed up for this forum :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Zola didn't bark for a while either. He does know. Whenever he hears a noise he barks to protect me. Its cute. He barks are your feet to for some reason.

As for the crying, I never thought it would improce. Zola cried in his pen at night for weeks and weeks and still wakes up in the night sometimes crying. All he wants is to come into my bed then falls back to sleep. Trust me tho, the crying will improve. You just gotta stick with it and not give in, no matternow bad it is

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo was mute until about 4months....even then he barely barks..only if he is outside and the nieghbors happen to be outside...and even THEN....it's a couple of barks...the rest of the time he is quiet...I try to get him to bark though...so he can freshen his puppy breath...LOL

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hershey rarely barks... unless my mom's dog is around. But they love to play that way. I am always told that she is quiet for a chihuahua. Like it was said earlier barking is an undeserved title.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
It definitely varies when it comes to the barks...I can't remember when Britney first barked but my brothers dog barked at 6 weeks...unfortunately, he and his b/f weren't here to witness it..I was the Lucky one 8)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SHE BARKED!
i couldnt believe it.
i was so happy.
it was only 1 bark.... but it was cute.
and it made me laugh :lol:

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
warped676 said:
SHE BARKED!
i couldnt believe it.
i was so happy.
it was only 1 bark.... but it was cute.
and it made me laugh :lol:
Awww. Yeah, seems like you were shocked, that's when they like to do it...when it's least expected! I'm happy for you :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree on the barking. It will come in time. Angel didn't start barking until she was about 3 months old or so. I was in shock because I was always told chi's were barkers but figured it was no big deal. Then one day out of the blue, we were playing and she let out a bark. Shocked us both! LOL It all went downhill from there. :) She still isn't that much of a barker but she does bark at a few things now and then.

Sounds to me like your pup is perfectly normal. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper doesn't bark at all unless he needs to go outside to do his business and I'm in another room - then he'll just bark once and wait. I think the only reason he barks then is because he's too lazy to go find me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts