Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you teach your chi to be quiet on command?

Lately Layla has been barking more than she normally does so i want to teach he to be quiet on command, but Im not quite sure where to start. Help please

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I use 'no bark' and when they stop, they get a piece of training chicken treat. Mostly mine don't bark in the house, but a the back fence, they bark at the two dogs behind me. They are getting a bit better at stopping out there. I don't mind a few barks, they are dogs after all, but Gonzo is a screamer and sounds like he is getting stabbed. Reggie does bark at people in the house, though. So I have been really working on the no bark with him. It's just that I get so few visitors, it makes it hard to train enough to get it through his head.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Would be interested in tips for this too... Harley has been turning into a nightmare barker the last week! I say No firmly and he stops but sometimes he carries on ignoring me. I've read about using of a spray bottle with water in, to spray at them when they bark, not tried that one yet though...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I just say "no" and Jake stops but then he isn't a barker unless its at next doors black cat.

If he were to stop and then start barking again I would take him away from what ever was causing him to bark.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I tought Paco not to bark in the hall way of my condo, I put my finger up to my lips and say sshh, quiet, and when we get back in the house I give him a treat and tell him he's a good boy and make a big deal. Now he dosen't bark even if another dog is barking behind one of the doors. In the house I let him bark a few times to alert me. then I say thank you Paco, that's enough, and he usually stops or he runs over and jumps on my lap.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I tried the water spray method, but that didnt work for me, so i then put some pennies in a tin and rattled it.
Now all i have to do is sy ah ah really quick and sharp and if it looks like they will continue barking i just have to touch the tin and they walk away and are quiet.
They are so not a fan of that noise.
I give them lots of praise when they stop too of course. xxx

·
Registered
544 Posts
I tried the water spray method, but that didnt work for me, so i then put some pennies in a tin and rattled it.
Now all i have to do is sy ah ah really quick and sharp and if it looks like they will continue barking i just have to touch the tin and they walk away and are quiet.
They are so not a fan of that noise.
I give them lots of praise when they stop too of course. xxx
These two methods, squirt bottle and shaker can, are the best tools to train "quiet." I start with the squirt bottle because for me, the whole purpose is the quiet and the can is noisy. However, for those that the water doesn't work with, the can always does. Haven't had any that couldn't be taught with one method or the other.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My dogs are not barkers, however when they do.. or if they make too much noise (they get looooooud at times playing)

I say a loud SHHHH and they both look at me, then they stop, I have no idea! seems to easy.. but that sound works awesome with my dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts