Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy,s I,m having a wee problem with chachi when i walk him,he has always barked at other dogs and people and dosen,t stop, the smaller dogs he will play with, but still growls at them till i put him down to play with them and then he stops growling, but bigger dogs you can tell he,s still very weary of them, how can i stop him doing all this barking, i,ve tryed picking him up till he stops barking but he wont stop, he also scratches the hell out of my chest with his npaws trying to get down. How do chiuahuas respond to obedience training and would it help him? he,s 1 year old next week. thanks guy,s- janet.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
DO NOT PICK HIM UP, that is rewarding his behavior. He will continue to do it if he sees a benefit in doing so. Is the barking aggressive or playful or nervous?

Toby has been undergoing home obedience training since day 1 when he came home and he has thrived.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ashley, i would say it,s aggressive but he dosen,t want to be picked up because hes fighting withme to get down, however when he gets near the dog he,s allway,s freindley i just dont get it, his tails wagging all the time when he,s on the ground he sniffs the other dog and plays, but i just wanna stop the aggresive barking because it puts other dogs off, and their owners, because when he,s going off like that, the owners really dont belive that he wants to play. Thats why i was thinking of the obedience lessons, but i think i have read somewhere on here that chis dont do it well, obedience lessons i mean.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I've never heard of that. I think with proper dedication from Mom or Dad, any dog, even Chis, thrive in obedience classes. Toby has not gone to formal classes, but I have experience with dogs so I taught him myself. He is very receptive and intelligent. In my experience, Chis respond best to positive reinforcement and encouragement, not punishment. I think that formal obedience classes are great if you have the time/money and dedication to work on the training outside of class.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If there is a puppy class, go for it. Just be certain that it is a positive rewards class. NO choke collars, prong collars etc. Buckle collars, and harnesses are fine. I doubt this is 'aggressive' barking. Maybe alarm barking. I would not pick him up, unless the other dogs are aggressive.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I am a huge believer in obedience training. Chloe takes classes at PetSmart. They are very affordable if you have one close to you. It's $109 for 6 classes. But they often have coupons for $10-$20 off. You can also retake the class for free if you feel that you need it again for I think 6 months. Chloe has done wonderful at them! She's taken the puppy class already and now she's in the intermediate class. We're working on formal heel walking at the moment. The puppy class focused on loose leash walking, sit, down, stay etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, i am going to look for classes today, i just wanted to nfind out what questions to ask them, and definantly no chocker chains or anything thats crewl. Thats why i wanted to ask people here, who know more about chis and what i should be looking for in obedience classes. Thanks again guys let you know how i get on- janet

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Thanks everyone, i am going to look for classes today, i just wanted to nfind out what questions to ask them, and definantly no chocker chains or anything thats crewl. Thats why i wanted to ask people here, who know more about chis and what i should be looking for in obedience classes. Thanks again guys let you know how i get on- janet
Yeah, just make sure to look for positive trainers! They do not use "punishment" or consequences. They are best for Chis.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You also need to be clear what you want. I would explain this to the facility in which you may take him.

Obedience classes or behavior modification. They are NOT the same thing. I have one with behavior issues and I signed her up for classes thinking that would be the best thing for her. No. The classes actually helped her "rehearse" her negative behavior.

We recently completed some in-home training. In our home AND in theirs where they have a facility working with German Shepherd rescue as well as their own dogs.

He said the most profound thing to me when I proudly explained that all 3 could shake, sit, high-five and lay down. "I do not really care if your dog can shake my hand. It is more important to me that she learn to manage herself and cope in situations that she cannot today."

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
You also need to be clear what you want. I would explain this to the facility in which you may take him.

Obedience classes or behavior modification. They are NOT the same thing. I have one with behavior issues and I signed her up for classes thinking that would be the best thing for her. No. The classes actually helped her "rehearse" her negative behavior.

We recently completed some in-home training. In our home AND in theirs where they have a facility working with German Shepherd rescue as well as their own dogs.

He said the most profound thing to me when I proudly explained that all 3 could shake, sit, high-five and lay down. "I do not really care if your dog can shake my hand. It is more important to me that she learn to manage herself and cope in situations that she cannot today."
Wow Karen, I love what your trainer said! It is so true. Behavior is what matters- basic manners, what I call safety commands (stay, come, heel), non-aggression, and confidence without overconfidence is most important.

Yes, the fact that Toby can do tricks is super and impresses people. But if he was a constant barker/growler or aggressive or overly submissive, I don't think people would even want to get to know him enough to find out the cool things he knows how to do!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Definitely take classes. It's more like training us, not the dog!!

What I do with Angel, is when someone is walking toward us, I stand in front of him, put him in a sit and distract him, then he gets a treat! So far it works good. he walks without barking at people or dogs, unless they try to pet or play with him.

Chis are no less trainable than any other dog!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chico has been to 2 of his six classes and is responding well, the only issue is that he has way more confidence than half the dogs double his size in the room so does try to wind them up at first. On the learning scale though he is brill, fast learner and keeps earning stars for his efforts and its only week 3 tomorrow, so well worth doing :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts